SASS Wire Forum

“RO-assisted” MSV

Lead Foot Luke

What does “RO-assisted” MSV mean?

Can someone give me an example when you would apply this from the Shooter's  Handbook page 21 (below)?

The Match Director is typically the stage writer/designer of the match and has the authority to override an “RO-assisted” MSV penalty for a reshoot.

EXAMPLE (Classic "Trifecta" situation)

Shooter is engaging rifle targets; mid-string, he has a temporary malfunction that is remedied on the clock.

Shooter asks the T/O, "Which target is next?"

T/O directs the shooter to the WRONG TARGET (skipping one over) = Procedural ("assisted" by T/O's misdirection)

Shooter only fires 9 of 10 rounds = MISS for the unfired round.

Shooter shoots the last target of the rifle shooting string & restages rifle with a round remaining in the action = MSV

Shooter ends up with 25 seconds in penalties

BUT

...gets a reshoot due to "Improper coaching" by the T/O.

Under normal circumstances, the MSV "carries over" for the reshoot.

59 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Under normal circumstances, the MSV "carries over" for the reshoot.

Can you please give an example of when it would not carry over 

31 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

Can you please give an example of when it would not carry over 

I already did...provided that the Match Director negates it due to the T/O's "improper coaching".

18 hours ago, Griff said:

AKA;  "TO Trainwreck"!

Yep but when people are way off on a complicated scenario and take 5 - 15 seconds to clear a jammed rifle and then jump back in the fire it can happen...…….lol

Add some misses, a jacked round or two and sometimes it's no fun being a TO...…….

Pale Wolfe,s reply that there are come circumstances where a MSV does not carry over and up to the Match Director is an important one.   Although they are rare, they are possible.  I appreciate this information!  These are the areas that are not always black and white.  We do have some grey areas and common sense needs to prevail.  

myself, I'd like to see ALL TO assisted msvs go away...    having instances like the one above be applied is great,,, IF everyone knows it's available,,, ie at the same shoot one shooter could have it applied and someone on another posse not have it applied,,

29 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

myself, I'd like to see ALL TO assisted msvs go away...    having instances like the one above be applied is great,,, IF everyone knows it's available,,, ie at the same shoot one shooter could have it applied and someone on another posse not have it applied,,

Been to several shoots lately where all reshoots had to be cleared by the MD before the reshoot was granted. Some even require you to fill out an official form. They seemed to be doing the same for MDQs and SDQs as well.

That way, everyone knew what was available when it was granted and the decisions were applied evenly across the match - for those situations anyway.

7 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Been to several shoots lately where all reshoots had to be cleared by the MD before the reshoot was granted. Some even require you to fill out an official form. They seemed to be doing the same for MDQs and SDQs as well.

That way, everyone knew what was available when it was granted and the decisions were applied evenly across the match - for those situations anyway.

that's great,  IF people know to ask for a reshoot...

One of the areas of concern is when the TO tells you to move with a loaded cocked gun such as split  revolvers, or they tell you move with a loaded shotgun.  My understanding this is not grounds for a re-shoot. Is this what you are talking about when you say all TO-assisted msv should go away?

yes,,, exactly!

I argued against the rule as it stands to no avail when it was instituted.

but, since then, I haven't told anyone to move when they shouldn't..  it took a lot of concentration, but now it's easier not to goof..

Archived