SASS Wire Forum

Bull riding - graphic (FB)

Red Cent

I'm not so certain their helmet and chest protectors do much good.

I was in a car wreck once upon a time where the car rolled. That was a lot less traumatic and violent then what we just saw in this video.

OUCH!

Tough way to make a living, love to watch those clowns work too, takes some sand to put yourself between the cowboy and 2000 lbs. of badazz. SCJ

16 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Tough way to make a living, love to watch those clowns work too, takes some sand to put yourself between the cowboy and 2000 lbs. of badazz. SCJ

Better be world class quick too. Them bulls don't have any sense of humor  And any defensive lineman would love to have their speed and size. Possibly the most dangerous combination of animal in this country, ESPECIALLY to mess with on purpose! Well,  besides maybe an angry mama grizzly bear.

I still remember the last sound I heard (bong)right before my concussion when the bucking chute pipe gate stopped my head on the way to the ground! It helped to numb the pain of the broken wrist when I rejoined the living :blush:

And that ended my bull riding career at 17..... :lol:

A few trips on saddle broncs at amateur rodeos was enough for me. 

10 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Gotta admire their  courage to get on them tanks  !!

But I question their sanity.

I tried saddle bronc for a year and gave it up as too dangerous.  I went from that to racing sport cars and felt a lot better knowing that, while some people wanted me harmed, my ride never did.

Last time I "rode" I was 17.  It was my first time on a bull at a PRCA event (this is back before PBR guys).  Before this it always been at Junior Rodeos so I hadn't really been exposed to pro stock, and our practice bull was a bit long on the tooth, so I was a little, shall we say, under-prepared and full of youth, testosterone and stupid.

I drew a bull by the name of "El Diablo".  The other cowboys actually thought I should redraw.  This was a 50 pt. bull that had yet to be ridden at the time, but I was, as I said, young, cocky and full of testosterone, so I took the draw.

Then I saw the bull.  He was 7' tall at the shoulder if he was an inch.  He was a White speckle Brahma with 3' long horns that went straight out to points so sharp they cut the light when he turned his head.  He had a ring in his nose and the reddest evil eyes that I swore shot lazer beams.  And he was sneaky bastard that knew his job.  He walked straight into the shoot and stopped.  He didn't fight the flank strap or when we put my rope on.

My dad was watching real close, but not saying a word, just shaking his head.  As I started to sit down and get settled, I swear the bull looked over his shoulder at me with a look that said, "If you don't get off when that gate opens I will kill you."

For the first time, I actually saw how far off the ground I was.  It was a ways down.  In a flash of self preservation I elected to use a standard grip instead of a "Suicide" grip ( Some riders will run a second wrap around their wrist, which holds better, but you have to use your off hand to get your hand free).  

When I nodded for the gate, the bull took a short pause as if to say "You can get off safely now" then LEAPED out of the shoot.  The rest I have to go on hearsay, as I remember none of it to this day.

He spun 90 degrees and did a barrel roll.  When he landed, he immediately kicked high and hard with this back legs, that threw me forward right into his huge head that he was throwing back and knocked me out cold.  As I fell off dead to the world. The bull bucked one more time flipping another 180 degrees and stared straight at me as if he was going to finish the job, then looked over the shoot where my dad and the stock boss looked in horror as the bull fighters rushed in the cover me.  He apprently snorted on me, turned and trotted toward the exit gate before the cowboys could try to shoo him in that direction...

I did wake up in the ambulance.  Apparently I got a nasty concussion as well as some sense knocked into me.  I never rode again.

The guys out there dressed as clowns are not called clowns, they call themselves bullfighters.  As a side match they have a contest where 4 guys sit around a poker table in the center of the infield playing cards.  Then they let the bull in and last man playing cards is the winner.  It's hard on the body.  One ex bull rider that I know is suffering.  He said to me one time, "Lloyd, I'm 34 yrs old and I walk around like I have a 2x4 shoved up my azz, some mornings my wife has to help me get up out of the bed in the morning."

There isn't enough money in the world for me to get on a bull.  I used to help out at the high school rodeos after I retired from the Air Force, working behind the chutes, there were even teenage girls riding the bulls.  More guts than Dick Tracy.

Don't look all that hard to me.........a group of folks corral the bull and help you climb on it.

Somebody even assist in opening the gate.   All the rider has to do is fall off and make

it look 'graceful'.   The most 'graceful' looking get a YouTube video.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

..........Widder

12 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

OMG!  There is no way those cowboys are paid enough to do what they do! :o

I thought cowboys rode bulls to impress the cowgirls? :D

Red Eye Jim,

Great story with a very good lesson. Thanks for writing it here. I enjoyed it.

:D

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Man they got some big cajones....but maybe not for very long!!:lol:

They may be big, but they are FLAT! :blush:

Archived