SASS Wire Forum

Stage Writing

JohnWesleyHardin

If you wanna write stories write them.  I agree with others that say keep em short and sweet. I love a good scenario with a theme to go along with a shoot but I know some dont.  Besides, if the folks that can't stand a story zone out not paying attention and miss out of the stage directions that's on them, might make em a fan of listening more after that :lol::P 

But seriously no matter what... you will never be able to please everyone. However that shouldn't keep you from trying.  

Come shoot with The Oak Ridge Outlaws, you will get to hear a short, funny story and will leave knowing 6 different ways to start a gunfight.

Jackalop does write great stories and starting lines.

That's nice of you to say, Tombstone.  I appreciate it.

One of my favorite gunfights started like this...

An old man offered the stage driver some peanuts.  He's happy to take some and, while eating a handful, he asked the old fella why he isn't having any.  The old man said he doesn't have any teeth and can't eat peanuts.  The driver asked, "Why buy them at all?"  The old man replied, "I just love the chocolate they're covered in."  That's what started the gunfight.

Someone said "Cowboy Barbies" !  Can I be on that posse next time ?  LOL

i wanted to add to my reply above;

i checked the posse list from today's shoot.

we have lots of Cowboy Ken's and many Cowboy Bad Grandpa, but very few of the Cowboy Barbies.

So, in the spirt of inclusion and diversity, as we work to grow our Club membership, I am placing a "Shooters Needed -Cowboy Barbies" classified ad on the SASS Wire.....Until Allie Mo or Misty expel me.

(JOKE)

On 1/3/2019 at 9:16 PM, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

"There is little interest in the stories in this area. I'm a very creative writer, not a problem there. Around here we shoot, sometimes go have lunch, and go home, usually done shooting within 3 hours from start time. "

Come for the shooting, stay for the people! Or not.

I don't know how many matches folks attend in your area. This may have something to do with storylines and other stage entertainment activities. perhaps shooters expect more from a match if they don't attend as many.

Figure I shot about 36 matches this year, monthlies and annuals, maybe more I don't really keep track. We shoot year round and can shoot every weekend if the weather allows it. One range is 65 minutes one way, others are closer , 1/2 hour, and across the street from my house. We can be home and take care of other stuff, I can even go to work and put in a few hours. I can hardly get folks to hang around for a club meeting, most want to get home to do other things. Guess you could say we are more about the shooting than social aspect of CAS, our core group spends many hours together and we have lots of fun throughout the year at monthly matches and hanging out at multiple day events. Maybe we've missed the part of the handbook that says we have to write a storyline or theme for each shoot.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone complaining about getting 6 stage match done too quickly, heard a lot of complaints about a match taking too long. 

Archived