SASS Wire Forum

4th Annual Lazy Arrow ShootOut - video

Roger Rapid

Cowboys and Cowgirls…

The Pozo River Vigilance Committee at Lazy Arrow is pleased to present our 5-minute video announcing the 4th Annual Lazy Arrow ShootOut (Santa Margarita, CA, May 24-26, 2019). For event schedule and Registration form, please visit: www.PRVCatLazyArrow.com and click on "Our Annual Match" tab.

Come out a shoot with us!

Roger Rapid

Movie still.jpg

I have been attending the PRVC annual Shootouts for many years and it is defiantly a Happening. This club has been around longer than you might think. The little village of Pickle Creek was moved to it's current location on the Great 32,000 acre Camatta Ranch in Santa Margarita, California just a few years ago. Don't let anyone tell you that California doesn't have a lot of "Country". This place is a operating cattle/guest ranch that is loaded with exotic animals and such. Their match is a real "Down Home" experience at a location that few clubs can compare to. Roger is a first class Mandolin player (he builds his own) and he takes the stage every year with the Blue Grass band and provides a great concert at dinner. One of the biggest things that I like about this match is that it is a Cowboy Action Shooting Match...…. something that so many clubs have forgotten how to put on. IMO it's worth working into your travel plans.

Snakebite

I believe I’ll be able to make this match.

Howdy Yul! It was great to meet you at the Western Regional. I sure enjoy my beautiful guncart that you crafted for Fithly Lucre; I always get lots of complements at every shoot I attend! 

I hope you can make it to our Lazy Arrow Shootout, it's a very friendly and fun match in a fantastic setting on a working cattle ranch, you'll have a great time!

3 hours ago, Bushy Blonco said:

Howdy Yul! It was great to meet you at the Western Regional. I sure enjoy my beautiful guncart that you crafted for Fithly Lucre; I always get lots of complements at every shoot I attend! 

I hope you can make it to our Lazy Arrow Shootout, it's a very friendly and fun match in a fantastic setting on a working cattle ranch, you'll have a great time!

I still can't believe that you painted that cart green and use butterfly contact paper on the sides. Geeze!

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

I still can't believe that you painted that cart green and use butterfly contact paper on the sides. Geeze!

And THAT would be an MDQ for Guncart Abuse! What! that's not in the rule book? It should be!:D

A friend who saw our video asked what software or editing program we used to create the oval “cameo” windows in the opening scenes. As they did in early movies, that was actually an oval hole cut in a piece of plywood and fastened to a door opening. The camera was in a darkened room. If you watched the bloopers at the end of the movie, Bushy Blonco actually tries to swing his ’73 into the opening but bangs into the edge of the oval openingl.

RR

12 hours ago, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

And THAT would be an MDQ for Guncart Abuse! What! that's not in the rule book? It should be!:D

Whoa there, pardners, there have been no unseemly modifications to my Yul Lose cart! Perhaps a bad case of cart-envy prompted Snakebite's delusion. As you can plainly see, it's still as pretty as the day Yul finished it, and it even serves as my pulpit for Cowboy Church in our tent at the Lazy Arrow ShootOut!

IMG_1258.PNG

IMG_1257.JPG

16 hours ago, Snakebite said:

You had me going there for a minute!!:(

I believe the first cart of Yul Lose's I saw was at a match I shot with Tupelo Flash. It had, among other things, a cigar humidor built in. Always impressive!

49 minutes ago, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

I believe the first cart of Yul Lose's I saw was at a match I shot with Tupelo Flash. It had, among other things, a cigar humidor built in. Always impressive!

Thanks MDJ. Tupelo’s was the first one that I built with a cigar humidor in it and it was the first one with the rear opening door for the long guns. His cart was damaged in a wind storm up at the Western Divisional in October and I’ve got it in the shop now making some repairs.

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I will mail my application, Monday!

And I will try to get out there for a day to visit!

11 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

You got me hook line & sinker with ya' video..trouble is I'm  8,000 mile away   BUT you never never know what the future holds !!

If you fly, float or swim here, I'll provide you with guns and ammo as long as you don't mind big bore stock equipment with real black powder.

Allie Mo...

We're looking forward to seeing you, too! I think you're going to really enjoy our range and being on the Camatta Ranch! 

Thanks also for your comments on the video - Bushy Blonco, Sidewinder Bill and I had a lot of fun doing it. 

...RR

Snakebite! Are you really serious? Randolph Scott auditioned for our movie THREE times and was rejected each time!!!

Errr aaahhh..

RR

6 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

If you fly, float or swim here, I'll provide you with guns and ammo as long as you don't mind big bore stock equipment with real black powder.

Hey Jim..Thanks for the offer mate, them guns would suit as it's only .45 [ smokeless ] & 44-40 [ real BP ] for this Injun.

I'd be okay though as we like to pack our own irons. We have another trip planned for '020 & the problem is there are sooooooooo many great shoots it's always hard to choose but I've a hankerin' to go south so TX, OH & TN are on the agenda...but as I said you never know in the future what may happen. !!

2 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Hey Jim..Thanks for the offer mate, them guns would suit as it's only .45 [ smokeless ] & 44-40 [ real BP ] for this Injun.

I'd be okay though as we like to pack our own irons. We have another trip planned for '020 & the problem is there are sooooooooo many great shoots it's always hard to choose but I've a hankerin' to go south so TX, OH & TN are on the agenda...but as I said you never know in the future what may happen. !!

You're welcome pard.  These are in 38WCF so you'd be at home and wouldn't even have to clean them.  Hope to see you on the trail.

21 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Jailhouse Jim, your hospitality and generosity are what make CAS so great! It's always a pleasure to shoot with you at Lazy Arrow! (And all the smoke and thunder you bring with those big black powder loads make me smile every time, especially that 10 ga!)

I want to jump in and add the we now have all NEW AR 15 steel targets making them the most ricochet UN-friendly targets available! :o  Not that there has been issue's with the old targets...but we just like the best for all our shooters at PRVC!  Rumor also has it that if you sign up early for the annual, Roger Rapid will send you - at no extra charge I might add - an extremely valuable autographed photo of him making the video! :)  As you know the Golden Globe awards were just given out - so he just missed the deadline for the best director award in the category of : Old time video, with a futuristic theme, filmed on location, with REAL cowboy actors :D (unpaid I might add...cheapskate), on a limited budget, using key grips that had no idea what key grips are suppose to do (and I don't mean the one's on your revolvers), completed on a non-shooting weekend (that took a lot of convincing...and a donut or two) all while under the $2.00 budget (the donuts were a day old :()!  That is a category for an award isn't it?? :blink:  Hope to see many of you cowboy/cowgirls at this years Annual!  

Even though Sidewinder Bill is my Match Co-Director - and aside from the fact that our new steel is AR500, not AR15 - I can only offer this response:

sidewinder poster.jpg

1 hour ago, Roger Rapid said:

Even though Sidewinder Bill is my Match Co-Director - and aside from the fact that our new steel is AR500, not AR15 - I can only offer this response:

sidewinder poster.jpg

Now you make that reward $500.00 and I'll have him tied across the back of Giddy Up and in front of the Sheriff's Office in no time.

In light of Snakebite's "Editorial" post on the Wire (which has led to the sharing of a wealth of knowledge) I would like to say that the goal of the Lazy Arrow ShootOut video above is the same goal we shoot for at the Lazy Arrow ShootOut weekend: we want everyone to have fun, be challenged, all while not taking ourselves too seriously!

For some that fun is fast-and-close with few distractions, for some that's shooting the hangman's rope and the moving mine car or tossing a bag of "gold" and holding the rubber chicken. And for most everyone, hanging out and visiting with friends at the the campfire and activities is the real fun. We strive to make it a great experience for everyone and see the maximum number of smiles.  We'd love to have you join us at the Lazy Arrow ShootOut and tell us how we're doing with your happy faces!

You know, I've been thinking about the "Lier's Contest" that you have every year. It just dawned on me that all the qualified entries come from your club. :lol:

No, no, no, Snakebite. Make no doubt about it. That's a "Tall Tale Contest" not a "Liar's Contest!"   As a "Tall Tale Contest" (during our complimentary to all Match Director's dinner on Friday night) it gives everyone the legal SASS-approved right to lie through their stinking' teeth - or however they do it. Regarding "qualified entries" I'm not so sure any of us are duly qualified!

But...

As to the "tall tale" - I did one (which Snakebite witnessed) at the 5-Dogs "Shebang" match (Bakersfield, CA) in January - a very fun match hosted by all the cowgirl shooters and lady members - in which I told the story of me being the grandson of Wyatt Earp. I supported my chat with posters with time lines that showed the link of my mom being Wyatt and Sarah "Sadie" Marcus's daughter, and so on. To which I pointed out why our dog's name is "Sadie." I read a [fake] paragraph from Casey Tefertiller's book Wyatt Earp that talked about Wyatt and Sadie having a daughter named "Ruth." I then produced a wood case - which I blew the dust off of - that held Wyatt's Buntline which I carefully withdrew wearing cotton gloves. When it was all over, one of the elder shooters came over to me and wanted to shake my hand, was very appreciative of meeting Wyatt's grandson, excited that the 5 Dogs club invited me to attend and speak, and so on. He was dead serious - and I felt SO bad, and I had trouble breaking the news to him. So, in this one case you are wrong Snakebite, I was a very qualified liar!  :)

RR

Archived