SASS Wire Forum

Uberti '66 sights dilemma

Marshal Hangtree

I have a great Uberti '66 carbine in .44/40 that I bought for SASS since I shoot BP substitutes.  The carbine is great for SASS distances, but I'd also like to use the carbine as a deer gun in heavy brush areas.  The current sights shoot about 6" high at 40 yards.  Currently, the rifle has a front bead sight on the barrel band and full buckhorn rear sights.  In order to bring the front sights down enough to hit a 3" ring at 40 yards, the bead on the front almost completely disappears behind the lower notch in the rear buckhorns.  It a ppears that my options are:  1) replace the rear buckhorns with a set of lower flat top or semi-buckhorns with a larger notch that will sit lower to the barrel, or . . . . 2) replace the barrel band front sights with a set that sit higher than the current rig.

It looks like replacing the fronts would be the easier option, since I wouldn't have to drift out any dovetail fittings, but I want to make sure I'm not opening a can of worms in doing so.

Any advice, or recommended sources for new sights?

Thanks y'all,

Marshal Hangtree

I haven't looked on Pioneer's web lately, but you may wish to investigate their front barrel band sight and see if a taller version is available.  An OEM Uberti front band is a true PITA to change out, but once you have the OEM sight off, it's a piece of cake.  

The other option is to replace the rear sight with a height adjustable rear sight.  Readily available from OEM (VTI Gun Parts), after-market from Brownells and Others.

Here's a nice sight I use on 66s & Henry rifles.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/877/1/RS-PM-1

--Dawg

7 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I haven't looked on Pioneer's web lately, but you may wish to investigate their front barrel band sight and see if a taller version is available.  An OEM Uberti front band is a true PITA to change out, but once you have the OEM sight off, it's a piece of cake.  

The other option is to replace the rear sight with a height adjustable rear sight.  Readily available from OEM (VTI Gun Parts), after-market from Brownells and Others.

What is this pioneer's of which you speak?

What distance are you sighting it on for deer? 40 yards? If you look at most SASS rifles they have a taller front sight and have the rear as low as it will go to get close range POI. 

It seems like you wouldn't be high at 40 with the rear sight that low. Are you shooting BP for SASS and smokeless to hunt.....or trying to sight I in at 40 with the same SASS load? 

If your shooting high at 40 yards with the front bead below the rear notch is there enough material in the rear sight to file the notch deeper to get your sight picture? Of course that's assuming you like the sights in the first place. The elevator isn't holding the sight up off the barrel is it?

Tully

Archived