SASS Wire Forum

What's wrong with caramel coloring?

Alpo

There are folks out there (and I don't mean the ones that HAVE TO) who will tell you, with a tone of superiority in their voice, "I only drink BOTTLED WATER", or, "I'm going GLUTEN FREE this month".

I had a young lady staying with me after Michael's visit, and she asked what I had to drink.

I told her I had both Coke AND Dr Pepper.

And she told me, "I don't drink BROWN SODAS".

She had no problem with drinking my ginger ale, and later she went to the store and bought some Sunkist, so she wasn't sponging off me.  It was just that, "I don't drink BROWN soda" thing that got me

Why not? What's wrong with brown soda?

Right or not, some theorize that they contribute to kidney stone formation.

Been there and done that ~ haven't sworn off completely, but have gone from frequent to seldom on the consumption schedule.  ;)

9 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Right or not, some theorize that they contribute to kidney stone formation.

Been there and done that ~ haven't sworn off completely, but have gone from frequent to seldom on the consumption schedule.  ;)

I used to have kidney stones and was urged to give up all carbonated products, which I did and haven’t had an attack in 30 years or so. Could be what she was getting at.

https://www.stjoes.ca/patients-visitors/patient-education/k-o/PD 3084 Kidney Stones and Diet.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3731916/

Results

The analysis involved 194,095 participants; over a median follow-up of more than 8 years, 4462 incident cases occurred. There was a 23% higher risk of developing kidney stones in the highest category of consumption of sugar-sweetened cola compared with the lowest category (P for trend=0.02) and a 33% higher risk of developing kidney stones for sugar-sweetened noncola (P for trend=0.003); there was a marginally significant higher risk of developing kidney stones for artificially sweetened noncola (P for trend=0.05). Also, there was an 18% higher risk for punch (P for trend=0.04) and lower risks of 26% for caffeinated coffee (P for trend<0.001), 16% for decaffeinated coffee (P for trend=0.01), 11% for tea (P for trend=0.02), 31%–33% for wine (P for trend<0.005), 41% for beer (P for trend<0.001), and 12% for orange juice (P for trend=0.004).

Conclusions

Consumption of sugar-sweetened soda and punch is associated with a higher risk of stone formation, whereas consumption of coffee, tea, beer, wine, and orange juice is associated with a lower risk.

58 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Don't everbody? B)

Nope . 

It's  cara-mel.

Do you  say car-van  or cara-van.

What is the gotta  argue  for  no dang reason  emoji?:P?

Hey Alpo, I quit drinking soda except for ginger ale and the only other things I drink are water(a lot) coffee and ice tea , I just do not like the taste of most sodas

10 minutes ago, Cowboy Small said:

Nope . 

It's  cara-mel.

Do you  say car-van  or cara-van.

What is the gotta  argue  for  no dang reason  emoji?:P?

If you pronounce words the way they are spelled, where is the R in COLONEL?

Why don't you say the P in PNEUMONIA, or the K in KNIFE?

19 minutes ago, Alpo said:

If you pronounce words the way they are spelled, where is the R in COLONEL?

Why don't you say the P in PNEUMONIA, or the K in KNIFE?

You have  heard  of  silent  letters ,  the  R is an invisible  letter. Lesser known ,  but  very  influential . 

Actually  I  do often  say "pu-monia" and  "K-nife". just  for poots   and  giggles. 

3 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I pronounce it Car-Mel ;)

Pretty little town. Visited a few times.

2 hours ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

Hey Alpo, I quit drinking soda except for ginger ale and the only other things I drink are water(a lot) coffee and ice tea , I just do not like the taste of most sodas

Same here, pretty much...

However, I do like the taste of most sodas ~ but I do not like the sensations of kidney stones.  :blink:

After I had a "boulder" extracted, the nephrologist told me to cut out all colas, even diet ones, as well as spinach!  They contain oxilates, which contribute to the formation of calcium oxylate kidney stones.  I quit cold turkey, and even the clear carbonated drinks bother my stomach, so those are out, too.  I have had a couple of small stones since then, but the best thing is to "drown" yourself with water.  Since many faucet waters are "hard", drinking bottled stuff may help.

I like caramel FLAVORING!!:lol:

Archived