SASS Wire Forum

WTB- 1873 Deluxe 38/357 built by Harland Wolff.

Slick McClade

Title kinda says it all.

I’m looking for a used Deluxe pistol grip 1873 in 38/357 that was built by Harland Wolff. Really want 1/2 octagon 1/2 round 18” but would settle for a 20” full octagon. Not interested in purchasing one by any other gunsmiths. Just thought someone might have a backup that’s not being used they would part with.

Slick 

22 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

Who is Harlen Wolf?  I have not heard of him. Irish Pat

IIRC he and Lone Dude were among the first, if not the first, to short stroke 73's. Seems like Shadrach and Black Barth came back from EOT in about 2002 or 3 extrolling the virtues of this. They both switched from marlins and 92's at this time.

Harland Wolff is a great cowboy and a great 'smith.  I shot with him in '96 or '97 at Mule Camp when he won the overall and he shot an '87 shotgun!  Great guy!  Very humble!

I believe the two cowboys who created the 1873 short stroke is Tony (Lone Dude) Rogers of NC and Cody (Don Jones) Conagher of WV (at that time Maryland). I have one of first short strokes made by Lone Dude, a 20" 1873 Deluxe in 45 LC. I shot with these fellows from 2000 on. Back in the day of weld, bend, and set screw. 

Spencer (Marshall Harlan Wolf) Davis produced the same type of short stroke apprenticing with Tony. Marshall Harlan Wolf is indeed a master tuner of Colt SAA. He ordered me a pair of 4 3/4" nickle w/fire blue screws. He tuned them and I used them for a numbers of years. They are still going strong with second owner. 

10 hours ago, Red Cent said:

I believe the two cowboys who created the 1873 short stroke is Tony (Lone Dude) Rogers of NC and Cody (Don Jones) Conagher of WV (at that time Maryland). I have one of first short strokes made by Lone Dude, a 20" 1873 Deluxe in 45 LC. I shot with these fellows from 2000 on. Back in the day of weld, bend, and set screw. 

Spencer (Marshall Harlan Wolf) Davis produced the same type of short stroke apprenticing with Tony. Marshall Harlan Wolf is indeed a master tuner of Colt SAA. He ordered me a pair of 4 3/4" nickle w/fire blue screws. He tuned them and I used them for a numbers of years. They are still going strong with second owner. 

Thanks for the correction, my memory is not what it used to be. I certainly meant no slight to Cody, I own two of his rifles and the work is superb.

I have 3 of them, but I wouldn't sell any of them for any reasonable amount of money that I can think of. As you know, Slick, you & I bought one each of the last pair I saw for sale on this forum. I know there are a lot of slick rifles by great gunsmiths, but can't imagine one any slicker or more dependable. Spencer is also a great guy to deal with, & I don't know if he plans to build cowboy guns much longer, as he has his finger in a lot of pies. Hope you find one!

Spencer is now operating under the business name of Bravo Zulu.  He makes custom Glocks and ARs.  He put together a Glock for me early last year and the thing is crazy good.  

Unless you are a previous customer, I don't think he doing any more cowboy rifles.

22 minutes ago, Dang It Dan 13202 said:

Spencer is now operating under the business name of Bravo Zulu.  He makes custom Glocks and ARs.  He put together a Glock for me early last year and the thing is crazy good.  

Unless you are a previous customer, I don't think he doing any more cowboy rifles.

I knew he was more into 3 gun modern stuff now. I have 3 of his rifles but was hoping to find another 357 already built. I know he’s busy with tweaking the new house and his modern gun work. I’m not in a bind or anything just thought I’d test the waters.

Slick

Not to hijack this thread, however, I do have a 44 special tuned by Spencer. I plan to list it for sale a little closer to Winter Range.

19 minutes ago, Ambush said:

Not to hijack this thread, however, I do have a 44 special tuned by Spencer. I plan to list it for sale a little closer to Winter Range.

Only if it was a 38/357 or even 45C . 44spl want do me much good :)

Hey, Ambush! I think it was you that Slick & I got our most current Spencer Davis rifles, correct?

3 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

Hey, Ambush! I think it was you that Slick & I got our most current Spencer Davis rifles, correct?

Yes it was, I’ve known Ambush for several years and he’s a good guy for a Yankee :)

Thank you Slick, I think?

Seriously, I hope both you and Max Payne are doing well.

Stay safe, Ambush

Archived