SASS Wire Forum

Has the 170 rule gone away for drawing and holstering?

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

say a cross draw shooter breaks the 170   wtc?

I ask because of the following statement...

NOTE: An obvious exception to this rule exists, where the shooter is given the ability to draw and holster revolvers from approved, legal holsters without penalty. Further exception is given when retrieving and returning vertically staged double barrel shotguns without penalty

When drawing a revolver, the muzzle may be oriented into the straight down (180°) as it clears leather; but must then go immediately into the downrange 170° (and vice versa on the return).  These restrictions against breaking the downrange 180° angle apply to all holsters and methods of draw/re-holster.  This allowance applies to all types/styles of holsters, from canted double strong side to cross draw, to shoulder/Huckleberry rigs.

SHB p.3

5 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Where did this statement come from?

The OP statement is on p.18 in reference to the 170 rule.

The EXCEPTION quoted from p.3 (allowing muzzles at 180) is from the HOLSTERS section.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Where did this statement come from?

page 18 shooter's handbook

The 170° Rule The 170° rule means the muzzle of a firearm must always be straight down range (+/– 85° in any direction). Muzzle direction and muzzle control is important between, before, during, and after shooting a stage. The 170° rule is the backbone of all safe firearm handling and is always in effect. - A muzzle must not be allowed to “sweep” the other participants at any time. - Long guns shall have their actions open with chambers and magazines empty and muzzles pointed in a safe direction when transported at a match. - A holstered revolver (loaded or empty) with the hammer fully down on an empty chamber or expended case is considered safe and may not be interpreted as sweeping another shooter while safely secured in the holster. - Failure to manage safe muzzle direction is grounds for a Stage Disqualification penalty assessment, and for repeat offenses, a Match Disqualification penalty.

NOTE: An obvious exception to this rule exists, where the shooter is given the ability to draw and holster revolvers from approved, legal holsters without penalty. Further exception is given when retrieving and returning vertically staged double barrel shotguns without penalty

then this part needs corrected,,,   shouldn't have to jump around,  how do you know which one is correct?

1 minute ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

then this part needs corrected,,,   shouldn't have to jump around,  how do you know which one is correct?

IMO, nothing "needs corrected"...p.18 states that there is an obvious exception...p.3 clearly spells it out.

Unless one is reading the SHB in reverse, they would already be aware of the 180 allowance while drawing/reholstering.

no,, just bored... be back in FL late wed,,, 

12 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

no,, just bored... be back in FL late wed,,, 

PLEASE find something ELSE to occupy your free time!

Please refer to the cover photo of the January 2016 Cowboy Chronicle.

I see a firearm breaking the 170, that is NOT being holstered.

Is this a no-call?

8 minutes ago, wyliefoxEsquire said:

Is this a no-call?

Are you absolutely certain of that? From the angle of the shot, can you determine that the muzzle is pointed straight down?

Recorded video/audio or photographic data will never be allowed to be presented as evidence in either regard.  

Remember: The benefit of any doubt always goes to the shooter. 

SHB p.24

I agree you cannot be sure, even of you were there.

So the shooter may have broken the 170 but because it is hard to tell...No Call!!

IMHO, this is NOT a good example of SASS shooting.  It is a GREAT example of something to discuss in RO classes

you have one free chance to holster without fear of breaking the 170  if you miss, hold it there or make sure you nail it the second time,,,that shooter takes the first option,,, hold it still till he's done with the next revolver, then holster,,,  he's a close friend

5 hours ago, wyliefoxEsquire said:

Is this a no-call?

The Chronicle is full of questionable "pictures" when it comes to the rules. Short sleeve shirts, shotgun bras, holster cant, and a variety of other things.

Please remember that most of these apply only "as worn" or on the firing line not in a posed/action picture in a magazine. 

18 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The CC cover photo shows guns on the loading table.  The boards on the table are parallel to the firing line, the guns in question are angled about 45 degrees the line.

The cover he referenced was the 2016 cover.

5 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Lol...…...PW made a funny. 

I wasn't kidding.

BTW - The exception for the muzzle going 180 applies ONLY when a shooter is actively drawing/holstering a revolver...otherwise the muzzle must be pointed within the downrange 170.

When drawing a revolver, the muzzle may be oriented into the straight down (180°) as it clears leather; but must then go immediately into the downrange 170° (and vice versa on the return). 

SHB p.3

BREAKING THE 170º SAFETY RULE
A CRO/TO/Spotter shall make an immediate "Cease-Fire" call if any firearm breaks the 170º safety rule. This call will result in a Stage or Match Disqualification to the shooter. The Chief Range Officer shall make a good faith effort to prevent the shooter from breaking the safety rule by verbal command or physical contact, if necessary.

RO2 p.9

Hey PWB!!  I’m betting at least two more pages!!:lol:

10 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Hey PWB!!  I’m betting at least two more pages!!:lol:

You know when such bets are placed some folks take that as a challenge, don't you?

;)

23 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

You know when such bets are placed some folks take that as a challenge, don't you?

;)

I'm sure you could lock the thread(or get it locked) and end it right now though :D

9 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'm sure you could lock the thread(or get it locked) and end it right now though :D

But that would be cheating, wouldn't it? ... or would it be only if I took Blackwater's bet? 

:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

But that would be cheating, wouldn't it? ... or would it be only if I took Blackwater's bet? 

:ph34r:

But he's an instigator so I say it's not cheating :P :lol:

Archived