SASS Wire Forum

A couple of 1875, 1890 questions

Cibola Al

I got to handle an 1875 Remington clone and like the way it points. I had considered a Taylor tuned gun, but some recent comments make me think I should save my money and get a standard model and have it tuned by a regarded smith if it needs work. Anybody have a favorite guy for Remmy work? My other question is in regards to leather. It appears that the ejector rod housing is in a different place and is slightly longer than on an 1873. Is a special holster required? Thanks for your patience with my rookie questions. Happy New Year everyone.

There are any number of smiths who can tune a '75/'90!  I have a pair done by Willy McCoy that are very slick, shoot to POA, and have been EXTREMELY durable!!  They're twelve or fourteen years old and have been shot more than I can even begin to say.  I've had to replace ONE pawl spring in all that time!!

I have another pair that were done by Boomstick Jay.  Again, very smooth and durable.  He short stroked them and built wide, lowered hammers for them!

Great pistols for those with large hands!!  No special leather required!!

1 hour ago, Cibola Al said:

I got to handle an 1875 Remington clone and like the way it points. I had considered a Taylor tuned gun, but some recent comments make me think I should save my money and get a standard model and have it tuned by a regarded smith if it needs work. Anybody have a favorite guy for Remmy work? My other question is in regards to leather. It appears that the ejector rod housing is in a different place and is slightly longer than on an 1873. Is a special holster required? Thanks for your patience with my rookie questions. Happy New Year everyone.

As far as the holster is concerned, if you already have the holster, try the gun in it.  It may be that all you have to do is wet-fit the holster around the longer ejector rod housing.  If the holster still doesn't fit, the likelihood is you can measure the distance from the front of the frame to the end of the housing and the thumbpiece, and send those dimensions to whomever you have make a holster.

Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

30 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

One problem I have had with mine . You have to keep the primer pockets clean. If not you get a high primer.

It seems the Remingtons are more  prone to high primers then colts.

I had that problem with mine too, but only with Remington brass. It must have a slightly thicker rim or something.

I run 45 Schofield through my 75 with no problems at all. I use the same holster for my open tops with no issues. Enjoy your new revolver, DC

They are great guns. You can't beat the styling. I have a few of them and have done all the work myself. They work great but if I do anything else with them, I will have a pro smith do some heat treating of some internals. I have noticed the metal is a little soft and are subject to wear more so than other pistols I have.

I have a pair of 75s and they are great for smokeless but not so good for shooting BP.  It can be done but you have to remove the cylinders after every stage wipe them down and relube the base pin.

I have an 1875 in .357, but if I had my druthers would prefer a 44-40 or 45.  Aside from the fact that I don’t use .38/.357 for sass, the ejector on the 1875 is not very forgiving with the smaller diameter chamber.  You have to align it carefully and the ejector rod tends to rub on the chamber wall.  It works much better on my pals 44-40.  I bought this one cheap to go with my 1858s and a navy conversion in .38.  I would love to swap the 1875 out for a 44-40.  

The only "problem" I had with my Uberti Remington 75 is that the cylinder is ever so slightly shorter than the Colt.  (.45 Colt caliber)  As such, while 200 grain semi wadcutters (I had a box left over from my dad) worked in the Colts just fine, they were too long for the Remington.    By my normal 200 grain RNFP bullets had to problem.

Archived