SASS Wire Forum

Dillon Inprovments

Scrub Oak Willie 53737

I have both the spent primer catcher that replaces the slide in box catcher and the unused primer catcher that replaces the ski jump.  I like them both and both work great.

I have frequently found myself in a quandary.  Dillon "Improvement" parts.  Does not compute.  I have a pair of Dillon 650 loader on my bench.  Everything works just as advertised.  I do however look at adverts for improvement stuff.  Most of the improvement stuff seem to me, to be stuff looking for something to improve.  Totally not necessary.  Solutions in search of problems if you will ...... Although if you have a modicum of disposable income .............

I've got the spent primer catcher, the light that lets you see in the cases (B/P), a counter (mechanical), and the spring set replacement that goes under the case holder. That spring set really gives it a softer hit when it turns. I like all of the "improvements"

Isom

I bought the all in one kit. The roller bearing advance, case feed with bearing, shell plate bearing, primerand case feed cutoff. The press seems to work smoother. No powder spillage. If you want to stop without leaving cases in the plate, the case feed and primer shutoff are the way to go.

I decided to just show you. All items pictured are highly tested and I can say without doubt improvements. True high volume user wear out key points quicker. These items solve that issue. Speaking from actual experience not conjecture and pretend. 

70B6EC1A-9867-4271-BF99-AE1ED6560D0E.jpeg

86C7E37D-72AF-49B2-B4B9-BADF5F9EE405.jpeg

EFC02000-143B-4682-88A0-602E2FBC76E1.jpeg

8EAEE5E7-FEA9-4BC6-9B48-F5DFA6EF0363.jpeg

I have purchased all the aftermarket improvements including the Roto-Cam actuator*.  The ski jump replacement is a very good since it eliminates active primers on the floor.  The spent primer adapter eliminates spilling spent primers.  The shell plate fiber indexing ball & reduced power spring plus thrust bearing kit significantly reduced the powder mess when loading 38/357 & 45 Colt  with Trail Boss.  I also installed Arredondo micrometer powder bar kits on small & large powder bars.  I also replaced the case feed camming pin with one with ball bearing.  The unused primer catcher & the indexing ball spring kit are the best upgrades.  The powder bar upgrades reduce the time required to change calibers or charge weights.  If you load more than 4 powder/weights with a charge bar the conversion is cost effective.  The plastic locator pin tabs help with fixing screw-ups (missing primers & low powder charges. 

*Second image in Deuce's post. Haven't used the press since purchasing this upgrade.  I am not a high volume reloader but find that minimizing friction is usually a good thing.

I have bought several add on parts to improve the process.  Check out www.entirelycrimson.com.  I have most of the stuff he sells.  Great quality.  I especially like the Quick Disconnects he sells for both the powder measure and the Powder check.  The powder check allows me to move it from one tool head to another very quickly.  The ones for the powder measure is great when I dump my powder back into the bottle at the end of a reload session, but it really pays off when adjusting the flair.  Makes it fast and easy.

I also have the Sky light and the Powder adjustment knobs from ARMANOV on Amazon.

I have the spent primer catcher, the one piece powder adjustment knob/screw and the quick release for the powder measure.  The powder measure quick release is the best upgrade I made since I dump my powder back into the can after every reloading session.  No more unscrewing allen screws.  Just pull the spring loaded latch and lift the powder measure off.   I have these upgrades on both of my 650's.

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I have frequently found myself in a quandary.  Dillon "Improvement" parts.  Does not compute.  I have a pair of Dillon 650 loader on my bench.  Everything works just as advertised.  I do however look at adverts for improvement stuff.  Most of the improvement stuff seem to me, to be stuff looking for something to improve.  Totally not necessary.  Solutions in search of problems if you will ...... Although if you have a modicum of disposable income .............

Oh hell, not even! Dillon machines are great, no doubt! But if you think they can't use some improvment yer kidding yourself.

Some cheap plastic parts (engineered polymers), crappy spent primer system... Oh they can improve their product bunches. They question is, would folks be willing to pay for those improvements.

Phantom

For what it's worth.

I was interested in an after market swager for my 650.  Dillion answered my email, adding any non-Dillon parts voids their lifetime warranty.

I like the spent primer drain and hose a lot and the LED skylight that mounts in the Toolheads center hole on my 650.

2 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

For what it's worth.

I was interested in an after market swager for my 650.  Dillion answered my email, adding any non-Dillon parts voids their lifetime warranty.

I also looked into the after market swager.  The problem is that it can get out of adjustment and cause damage to the shell plate and other parts.  I saw some information from Dillon that specifically addressed these swagers and they do not recommend them.

42 minutes ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

So which light system is the best as in low maint.   The one in the middle or the U shaped one?  Thanks Bullettt 19707

https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/dillon

2 hours ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

So which light system is the best as in low maint.   The one in the middle or the U shaped one?  Thanks Bullettt 19707

I have both, and the "U" shaped light gets used every time, as it's glued to the underside of the 550B.   http://kmssquared.com/ufo550.html.     I had to re-glue it in place on the one machine... (I didn't clean the surface well enough).  I do keep the Inline Fabrication light on the bench... but tend to use it for looking inside cases off the press,

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:26 AM, Matthew Duncan said:

For what it's worth.

If replacing a spent primer "cup" with a decent sized screw capped bottle voids the warranty then Dillon isn't the company I thought they were!      That swager sounds like it can actually do some damage...so...fair enough... but a better primer catcher?  Puleeze!

I’ve called Dillon several times over the past 25 years for replacement parts for both 550 (my favorite) and my 650.  Their response has always been “Parts will be shipped tomorrow”.  They have never asked if there were any aftermarket parts.

I’ve never sent a press back for reconditioning though.  But since I only load about 15,000 rounds a year, not enough wears out to need reconditioning.  (I did wear out a non-carbide sizing die though.  Wasn’t a Dillon die.)

There is a guy over on the Cast Boolits website that is make a powder measure release that doesn't involve removing the bracket.  It's spring loaded and you just pull it a bit out away from the powder measure and lift the powder measure off.

I like it as I don't have to chase screws all around the floor

been using it for a couple of months without a problem

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?373825-VS-Dillon-Powder-feed-quick-disconnect 

On 12/31/2018 at 2:21 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I have the spent primer catcher, the one piece powder adjustment knob/screw and the quick release for the powder measure.  The powder measure quick release is the best upgrade I made since I dump my powder back into the can after every reloading session.  No more unscrewing allen screws.  Just pull the spring loaded latch and lift the powder measure off.   I have these upgrades on both of my 650's.

From Crimson or ARMANOV

Dillon doesn't ask if any replacement parts are on the machine. If you have a problem, they fix it. I tried the replacement locator pins, & they suck! They work themselves out of the hole & fly off.

Archived