SASS Wire Forum

SAA Barrel Length

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

As we all know, the three standard barrel lengths for a Colt SAA are 4-3/4" 5-1/2" and 7-1/2"

Just for something to chit chat about, what is your favorite barrel length, and why?

I like 4-3/4" the best, it just looks perfect to me.

My second choice would be 7-1/2"  That long barrel has some style points.

To me, the 5-1/2" length is simply generic, with nothing special about it.

Other opinions on the matter?

I always favored the 4 3/4 bbls until I got a pair of 5 1/2 inch Bisley vaqueros. The balance of the slightly longer barrel just suits me perfectly. I do like 7 1/2 also and mix them in at times. 

Interesting topic. 

FIRST A CAVEAT:  I don't shoot Suppository Shooters any more.  Strictly Cap Guns (almost).  When I was a dedicated Suppository Shooter shooter, my favorite barrel length was 4 3/4.  I like'd the way it felt in the hand and the appearance just seemed "right."  Of course, then I switched to Cap Guns.  Snubbie Cap Guns.  Now, if the barrel is over 3 1/2 inches, it's a waste of steel.  Go Figure.

I realize my reference to Cap Guns has no bearing and adds no appreciable fodder to the OPs original post.  Therefore, my references to Cap Guns may be ignored and I will take no offense.  In fact, probably should be ignored.  Sorta like a previous reference to Ruger (choke) in a SAA subject thread.  I will withdraw now............... :rolleyes:

Mine has been and always will be 5,5”. I never thought I’d likevany other barrel length though. Then I got the urge to get a 7.5”, and really love the classic look. But the 4.75” has always looked wrong to me. It’s the flush ejector housing and barrel. It doesn’t look right. So I always stayed away. But of course what do I know? If it’s good enough for John Wayne then I have to be wrong. So now the question is no different to me than “do you prefer blonds, brunettes, or red heads?”  The answer being yes

10 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Mine has been and always will be 5,5”. I never thought I’d likevany other barrel length though. Then I got the urge to get a 7.5”, and really love the classic look. But the 4.75” has always looked wrong to me. It’s the flush ejector housing and barrel. It doesn’t look right. So I always stayed away. But of course what do I know? If it’s good enough for John Wayne then I have to be wrong. So now the question is no different to me than “do you prefer blonds, brunettes, or red heads?”  The answer being yes

I'd rather molest a bobcat in a phone booth than ever be involved with a red head again!!!   Just sayin---I'll take a 5.5 any day!

2 minutes ago, Blackface Charlie said:

I'd rather molest a bobcat in a phone booth than ever be involved with a red head again!!!   Just sayin---I'll take a 5.5 any day!

I said the exact same thing. That lasted until the next red head that caught my eye walked by. What can I say? I’m a slow learner

I love the the "look" of any SAA :) But my preferred CAS pistols are 7-1/2" in 45LC. I like the balance and feel, returning the longer barrel for both cross-draw and strong side to leather, and the improved stability when sighting the longer barrel and moving to the next target. The balance of a 7-1/2" pistol is a bit different based on caliber since the smaller rounds - 32-20, .38SP/.357 - have more steel (weight) in the barrel. Some folks perceive that the longer barrel is more accurate than a 4-3/4" - which I don't really support especially for our close target distances. I feel "stability" is what's key.

RR

5-1/2" is my preference.  They just feel right.  Sawmill Mary has three pair of Cattleman revolvers - all with 4-5/8" barrels.  Two pair are 38/357. The other pair are 44WCF.   While the 4-5/8" 38/357 weigh about the same as my 5-1/2" 45Colt and 44WCF guns, they don't ballance the same.  

I did go nuts and traided into a pair of Ruger Vaqueros stainless birdshead in 45ACP with 3-1/2" barrels. Once I beat the bugs out of them I could shoot them plenty good enough.  I shot them enough to know I would never warm up to Roogers and traided them off.

4 3/4" or 5 1/2", either is fine with me! I love the look of the 7 1/2" but don't care for them in CAS.;)

I've always favored the "artillery" (5 1/2 inch) length -- but I campaigned a 7 1/2 and liked it, too. I've always thought the 4 3/4 was for people who wanted to do B Western. It's not my thing, but fine for other folks if that's what they like.

At one time or another I've ran from 3.5 to 10.5.   I've never really liked the short barreled guns.  They just don't balance right for me.  Most of my guns are 5.5 or longer

I like my 4.5/8 Suppository guns .

And 7.1/4 Cap Guns .

Shoot what you brung !

Rooster 

I like and use them all. Up close and personal target get the 4 3/4" a little further out and I will use the 5 1/2" and out there or maybe smaller targets get the 7 1/2" Colts. I can keep my speed up and not worry much about missing using this method.

One more thing. There is nothing like the feel of a 7 1/2" shooting gunfighter! Just my opinion.

16 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Mine has been and always will be 5,5”..........  the 4.75” has always looked wrong to me. It’s the flush ejector housing and barrel. It doesn’t look right. ..............

Choice #1)    5.5 ,  the look just pleases me.

Choice #2)   7.5 ,  because Why Not?

Choice #3)   everything else  :D

Howdy H.K.

I seem to recall reading someplace that the most common barrel length for the SAA was 5 1/2". Next most common was 7 1/2", then finally the 43/4" length.

I seem to fly in the face of convention. I don't care for the 5 1/2" length at all. Just looks boring to me. I don't own any Colts with that barrel length. As a matter of fact I don't own any single action revolvers with that barrel length, except a Ruger Vaquero. But that's a different story.

I prefer 7 1/2" and 4 3/4". 7 1/2 is long and graceful. I also like the 'brutal' appearance of a 4 3/4" Colt, with the barrel the same length as the ejector rod.

These are my usual Main Match pistols, a pair of 2nd Gen Colts, one 7 1/2", one 4 3/4".

SecondGens_zps1cfdcbb0.jpg

I ran across another 7 1/2" 2nd Gen not too long ago.

Second%20Gen%2003_zps0in1bkez.jpg

The only Uberti I still own also has a 7 1/2" barrel.

cattleman%2004_zpsjgx0blgh.jpg

My taste in older Colts seems to bear out my preferences. This 7 1/2" 38-40 Bisley Colt left the factory in 1907. It has not been to a match yet, I hope to remedy that next year.

Bisley%20Colt%2038-40%207.5%20Inch%20Bar

This 4 3/4" 38-40 Bisley Colt left the factory in 1909. It has been to a couple of matches, I hope to bring it to more along with the 7 1/2" Bisley.

bisley03_zpsa2a15e70.jpg

Rugers?

There's that single 5 1/2" barrel. The shiny one, third from the right.

New%20Models%2002_zpsnefswng6.jpg

Three Screw Rugers? Yeah, there are a couple of 5 1/2" Single Sixes on the right in this photo, but they are 22s and don't count for CAS.

Three%20Screw%20Rugers%2001%20SN%20alter

In the SAA I like Both the 5 1/2  a the 7 1/2 for different Reasons ,,, The 5 1/2 incher keeps my loads under 1,000 Fps. and is faster on the Draw and re-holstering... 

I really like the way 7 1/2 inchers Hang on target ,,,,, even if it means down-loading my .45s to stay under 1,000 Fps. ....

You Know it's Kinda Funny that shooting my Grandpa's First Gen Colt 7 1/2 incher made in 1874 with ammo of the same Vintage, Would be breaking the rules as these loads in his gun exceed 1,000 Fps ...

Jabez Cowboy

I find it easier to just buy pairs in all the barrel lengths, sheriffs models to 7.5 inch and shoot whichever one calls to me on the day.  I also like to have the right gun for the period for which I am dressing.  For example, early outfits require a 7.5 inch.  Later outfits can use a shorter barrel, or a Bisley.  

The only barrel lengths I don’t like are so called Buntlines.  Too long to be practical as a pistol and they don’t point well.  Never understood revolver  carbines either.  

I shoot a Colt 5 1/2" in a cross draw and a 7 1/2" on the strong side. Back in the west it was common for a person to have mixed barrel lengths. I miss equally well with each.

1079528736_DEng..thumb.JPG.f4a514fa1af7b826bf7c6c777cb0653d.JPG

4 3/4 please,

i started with 5 1/2" , i went to 4 3/4" thinking i liked the balance better , then had to try 3" and 7 1/2" without getting any real satisfaction , im back to 5 1/2" and i did keep one 4 3/4" as a back up because i like it a lot , 

i kept one 7 1/2" more for its historical linage and ill get one 3" again just for S&G to put in my doc holiday holster , but i found both to be less than to my liking for my main match guns , 

I've got 2 7 1/2" 44-40 Cimarrons, my favorite barrel length because its how they were designed and feel "right", these, a 20"  Cimarron '73 in 44-40 along with an '87 are my main match go-to guns!

My next favorite is my 4 3/4" EMF Hartford in 38-40, like John Wayne and my Daddy.

Finally, I have a Uberti 5 1/2" because it came with my '92, both were unfired in 44-40.

You'll notice all my guns are original calibers...and I shoot BP with full loads. 

Archived