SASS Wire Forum

Newbie leather advice...

Croc Holiday

Hey all!  

Newbie looking for advice on leather.  This may stun some of you but, gearing up for CAS is expensive!  Once I get the iron I need i’ll Need some place to put it.  Luckily, I prefer simple and plain over tooled but even plain lather can be a serious investment.  With everything else to get I’m looking for frugal options.

i’ve found Some stuff on line like this...

https://www.buffaloarms.com/leather-goods-cartridge-belts/cowboy-leather-holsters/cheyenne-double-loop-holster-4-3-4-lh-olp7503l

With a couple of these and a belt it looks like I could get into a simple rig for $120 +-.  This is the first I came across and I’m sure there’s others.  I also know...  you get what you pay for which makes me hesitant.  $120 is cheap for leather but expensive for junk haha. 

So what say you?  Would something like this be a good and functional starter rig?  Any other recommendations?  

Also, if you have any leather in 38w your looking to part with, shoot me a note.

Thanks!

My wife started with a Cheyenne holster, and it was not a good thing. The leather is too thin and soft and makes for unsafe re-holstering as the lip of the holster can easily catch the front of the cylinder, making for a good possibility that you will drop you pistol on the ground.   They also tend to wiggle around on the belt, making moving quickly with a pistol holstered a bit risky. I had to match DQ  a shooter once die to his similar holster dumping his gun(loaded) on the ground as he moved forward on a stage.

My advice is to go with vegetable tanned leather of at least 9 ounces thickness, preferably thicker.

42 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

@Half Deaf Hoss DeverauxDeveraux

I'd go with this:

http://www.knightsleatherproducts.com/StarterRig.html

or

D.A.D. Custom Leather on eBay 

X2:excl:

Call Nick and talk to him.

His turn around is fairly quick and the workmanship can't be beat.

Very fair prices...

OLG

Many of us fumble around for a while, deciding which revolvers we want to use long term.  I would wait until I was certain about my preference for guns and categories before choosing my leather accordingly.  Then buy the absolute best - Kirkpatrick or Mernickle - for your chosen revolvers and category.

It’s true that poor quality holsters might not let you perform your best,  but buying lots of different holsters as you evolve in the game is a waste of money as well as time.

5 hours ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Newbie looking for advice on leather.

Stay away from any tall redhead named Svetlana who's wardrobe consists of it.

59 minutes ago, Shotgun Clay said:

Stay away from any tall redhead named Svetlana who's wardrobe consists of it.

Too late...  :huh:.  She made me marry her.  

Coming Svetlana dear....

I started with holsters almost identical to what you are looking at.  Once I drew a revolver, the holster would collapse and it was almost impossible to re-holster.  After a few monthly matches, I tried to re-holster a revolver on a stage.  The holster went flat and the gun hit the ground.  That night I ordered leather and started making a pattern for my own holsters.  I now own two saddle stitching machines and have been making cowboy gun leather for over 15 years.

You would be better served by finding a better set of used holsters that are stiffer than what you are currently looking at.  Check your local clubs first and also the SASS wire.  You can play the game with what your looking at, but once you get a little competitive, you're going to look for something better.

New shooters are surprised when they find the best holsters are hard as bricks. The gun belts are two layers of leather and, maybe, a suede layer. The holsters need to be rigid to maintain shape. Very easy to draw, a modicum of retention, and flared tops for easy re-holstering. The first time you make a left or right and attempt to holster the revolver on the way to your rifle, you will appreciate the well made holsters and belt. 

TN Mongo words has iron in them.

From another experienced leather crafter.

Mongo, Red Cent...

Your comments are exactly why I was asking.  Wasn’t sure how problematic cheap leather would be.  I suspected, but wasn’t sure.

2 hours ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Mongo, Red Cent...

Your comments are exactly why I was asking.  Wasn’t sure how problematic cheap leather would be.  I suspected, but wasn’t sure.

You don't save a single dime, with cheap leather.

OLG

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You don't save a single dime, with cheap leather.

OLG

8 hours ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Mongo, Red Cent...

Not only will cheap leather work poorly, it may also leave oil stains on your trousers.  BTW, Ted Blocker in Tigard makes quality holsters for CAS.  Visit him and get fitted.  I have some of his leather and would buy again.

Cheap can end up expensive in the long run. I began with a borrowed set of holsters and a garrison belt from Walmart. I added a few Conchos to it. That said and a few pair of holsters later. I purchased a pair of Mernickle holsters and they are nice. My only mistake at the time was that I should have gotten a cross draw pair rather than strong side. I have since gotten a cross draw holster from Michigan Rattler. Now shooting a mismatched pair, but my pistols are mismatched too. One 5.5" and the other 7.5". The Mernickle is for the 5.5".

Decide how you want to shoot and also look on the wire or at shoots where folks are cleaning out their closets you can get some good stuff at a reasonable prices.

Sgt Hochbauer

General specs for holsters: If unlined, body should be at least 8-9 oz. (An "ounce" is approximately 1/64 inches thick.), top-grain vegetable-tanned cowhide.  It should initially be very snug to the gun, and then be wet-fit to the gun.  The top can easily be flared during wet-fitting.  If you want lining, the outside layer can be a bit thinner, say 6-7 oz., with a 2-3 oz. veg-tanned topgrain cowhide, smooth side to the gun.  Keep in mind, that a properly fitting holster will contact the surface of the gun in at least 7 places...around the muzzle, sides of the cylinder, front sight blade, and both sides of the trigger guard, if the holster partially covers the guard.  In doing so, no matter what lining you use or none, there will be bluing wear on a blued gun. On a stainless steel gun you really don't need the lining, so you can save a bit of money there.  My Old West style holsters generally cover the trigger guard for added security, but leave the trigger exposed.  Most of my styles also shroud the hammer spur to prevent snagging on your shirt sleeve or brush, etc.

Belts should be made of 8-9 oz veg-tanned, topgrain cowhide.   Width should be at least 2 to 2-1/2", depending on your build. Wider belts probably won't be comfortable when bending.  (The exception would be military waist belts that measure 1-7/8" for authenticity.)

[Note: The above is for information only, and is NOT a solicitation for business!]

Happy New Year!

I started with a  cheap Triple K non lined leather gun rig when I first got into CAS years ago.  (I should mention I'm aware Triple K  now offers deluxe models but I cannot comment on those as I've never had experience with them) However, I quickly learned the pain of a thin flimsy one layer collapsing leather holster.  Invested in a custom made quality rig by a maker I met at a gun show (can't remember his name it's been so many years ago).  I make all my own leather now after years of doing it as hobby both inside and outside of CAS.  

I do however recommend since you're just starting out spend the extra money and get a quality setup and don't deal with the flimsy thin collapsing leather like I did at first trying to save money.  You can get a more plain rig made to save on some funds but still be quality built.  I also recommend depending on what category you plan to shoot consider getting it made with two strong side holsters plus a cross draw holster.  You may determine later you prefer one over the other and you'll already have the matching holster.

Welcome and enjoy! 

CD

• 3 weeks later...

I have two set ups from JM Leather(Johnny Morris)...Great guy to work with and makes awesome gear! His workmanship is tops! My first set up with the black gear..have had this for past 5.5yrs now...The brown gear is rough out..wanted a more rustic look for my 1872 open tops! I love the colored suede he lines the inside of the belts with.  

https://www.jm-leather.com/index.htm

DSC_0725.JPG

DSC_0733.JPG

DSC_0729.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

I would never buy a rig from...uh... Never mind.

Go with someone that actually build great rigs, it's a great guy... And delivers when he says he will: Nick at Tombstone Knights Leather Products.

PS: Doc Noper makes great stuff too... LOVE his SG belts;)

20 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I would never buy a rig from...uh... Never mind.

Go with someone that actually build great rigs, it's a great guy... And delivers when he says he will: Nick at Tombstone Knights Leather Products.

PS: Doc Noper makes great stuff too... LOVE his SG belts;)

To each his own...realize you may have some "conflicts" with JM...but hey...makes great gear!...and yes so does Doc Noper...but the little "dig" of building "great rigs"...and a "great guy"...well..."uh...Never mindB)

PS: Sure Nick at Tombstone Knigths Leather makes great rigs as well!! was simply helping a fellow out with some options...so I shared some input!!

1 hour ago, Lucky L said:

To each his own...realize you may have some "conflicts" with JM...but hey...makes great gear!...and yes so does Doc Noper...but the little "dig" of building "great rigs"...and a "great guy"...well..."uh...Never mindB)

PS: Sure Nick at Tombstone Knigths Leather makes great rigs as well!! was simply helping a fellow out with some options...so I shared some input!!

What in the Wild Wild World of Sports are you talking about??

Gotta love the Wire:wacko:

Phantom

You're absolutely correct that getting into this game is expensive.  You can try to go the inexpensive route but it'll end up costing you more in the long run.  Holsters obviously need to allow you to be competitive, but they also serve to protect your investment.  Some of the best advice I was given at the beginning of my SASS career was, "Why would you trust $1,200+ worth of pistols to a $100 rig?"  Don't be in a rush to spend your $$$.  Save up until you can get a high quality rig from an established leather worker.

Lucky L...  The blue stitching and lining on that rig is awesome.

I'm just gonna pony up and get a new, good quality rig that fits my style.  I had some great offers for used gear (many thanks to those who reached out) but I was wrestling with spending $200 for something I'd ultimately want to replace with something that suits me.   

8 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

I'm just gonna pony up and get a new, good quality rig that fits my style.  I had some great offers for used gear (many thanks to those who reached out) but I was wrestling with spending $200 for something I'd ultimately want to replace with something that suits me.   

Howdy Half Deaf.  Come on down to our match in Albany Sunday and you'll get to check out quite a variety of rig from different makers.  I'll throw in a couple of extra rigs for you just in case.

14 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Wise move Hoss......

so many good leather craftsman mentioned, and probably a few whose names not mentioned in this particular thread.  I have had several rigs by Kirkpatrick with no regrets, still have one, two by JM, Sassy and I both have rig by Aint Dunnit, and I was fortunate to buy a rig off classified by Doc Noper (very nice and heck of a deal complete with one of Doc awesome shotgun belts).  I have seen Nicks work as well and would certainly recommend his work.  I have not used a Mernickle but have seen many and the number of users is a good sign, not to mention they importance to SASS.

Take a little time and look rigs over at a few matches.  Bet a number of pards will even let you try theirs.  Good advice given above by Trailrider, Cowboy Junky, Red Cent, TOLG, and others so you have a good start.

Good luck..

3 hours ago, Boothill Bandit, SASS# 48598 said:

Howdy Half Deaf.  Come on down to our match in Albany Sunday and you'll get to check out quite a variety of rig from different makers.  I'll throw in a couple of extra rigs for you just in case.

Thanks for the offer and I definitely would but you're on the other side of the hills from me.  I'm over in Central OR.  The groups I've hooked up with here are the Horse Ridge Pistoleros and The Old 97 Railroad Rangers.  Both are fantastic!

4 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Thanks for the offer and I definitely would but you're on the other side of the hills from me.  I'm over in Central OR.  The groups I've hooked up with here are the Horse Ridge Pistoleros and The Old 97 Railroad Rangers.  Both are fantastic!

Uh-oh..... You watch out for Whisperin Wade and Artic Annie.  Thems two are desperados they are.  Those Old 97 folks are a darn good crew.  Hope to see you down the trail sometime. 

1 hour ago, Boothill Bandit, SASS# 48598 said:

Uh-oh..... You watch out for Whisperin Wade and Artic Annie.  Thems two are desperados they are.  Those Old 97 folks are a darn good crew.  Hope to see you down the trail sometime. 

Haha. Was just at their place picking up loaner leather to use until I get mine ordered.  

6 hours ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Thanks Half Deaf Hoss...Chose the color and my son's color of rig, as the colors represented my career of the past 29.5yrs!!

jm6.JPG

jm4.JPG

2 hours ago, Boothill Bandit, SASS# 48598 said:

Ya...those two can sure be mighty shady at times...:D

39 minutes ago, Lucky L said:

Ya...those two can sure be mighty shady at times...:D

You’re on the other side of the hill too!  Wade was telling me it was fun to head your way every now and again.  I’ll sure I’ll cross paths with you and Boothill sometime in the near future.

Archived