Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Bill SASS# 16394

Is Cabelas following Dicks sporting goods policy?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

or,,, they have to take it off at point of sale,,,, once it is off, function test it,,, if good, great, if it fails cancel the sale,,,   I bought from them last christmas, they said I had two weeks to bring it back if it needed repair to be fixed

 

They remove the lock at the point of sale; however, you can't function test it until they hand you the firearm outside the store entrance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Null N. Void said:

Around here, my aggravation with the Dicks, Cabelas and Gander Mountain is they ask me for my birth date to buy ammunition or a knife.   They give a BS explanation that ATF requires them to ask.  They may not be able to sell to someone under 21, but there's not an ATF requirement that they ask my birth date.  I sure look way over 21.  That's  personal information they don't need and I don't like them putting it in their computer. 

 

I get my firearms, ammunition and reloading supplies from smaller gun stores wherever possible.   

 

Hmm....my birthday is 11/11/1940 for anyone like that asking out of hand and my phone number is 5808892697.....both completely fictitious but it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Flanigan Flats said:

Our local Cabela's is looking more and more like a Bass Pro every time I go in.  Fishing stuff is beginning to take up more than it's share of the real estate in the store. They have taken away the military discount on all firearm related merchandise. They have cut the used guns by half. No more $199 specials either. I bought a cou[le of Winchesters 1897's and a like new TTN for $199 minus military discount and what ever points I had on my card.

 

I agree with the above. I am going to retire my Cabela's/Ass Pro card.

Was in the same store yesterday with the misses looking for deals on jackets & shirts.  Only briefly went into the firearms section looking for a trailcam to record the critters (cats) entering my shop/garage building through a pet door for our 14 year old barn cat to come & go as he pleases.  I did notice the fishing section projected into the center of the store which it wasn't a few months back.   P.S. I have found that while Sheels is the most expensive of the big box sporting goods stores; their reloading inventory is 2nd to none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scheels carries Dillion products.  So they are usually my first stop for press components.  I prefer Sportsman's Warehouse for most stuff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long guns have always been my love. 

The problem with any gun store you walk into is that 95% of the long guns are plastic stock equipped.

I guess wood is endangered and can't be cast into a perfect fit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

Was in the same store yesterday with the misses looking for deals on jackets & shirts.  Only briefly went into the firearms section looking for a trailcam to record the critters (cats) entering my shop/garage building through a pet door for our 14 year old barn cat to come & go as he pleases.  I did notice the fishing section projected into the center of the store which it wasn't a few months back.   P.S. I have found that while Sheels is the most expensive of the big box sporting goods stores; their reloading inventory is 2nd to none.

Yup. Bought some supplies from Scheels yesterday. Got what I needed right then right there. No more expensive than local Cabelas/Bass Pro and it’s minutes from my house. Could do better online, but shipping kills the difference on small quantities. I can buy a $10 item at Midway USA plus $10 in shipping, or pay $12 at Scheels. Sheels staff is helpful too. Haven't had much luck finding anyone in the building to help at BP/Cabelas lately. 

 

Cabelas used to be my local go-to big box, but not anymore. Gave up on BP long ago. Inventory and selection is so bad I don’t know how they compete. Maybe they don’t need to and have relegated us to a niche market. Don’t really care as I have lots of options both locally and online. 

 

I LOVE capitalism! Vote with your wallet!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Just Bill SASS# 16394 said:

In Oregon they have trigger locks on every used firearm and every new firearm. How in the world can you compare two different brands of handgun trigger pulls to determine which one is the best for you? It is like buying a pig in a poke

And people think California is bad

12 hours ago, Irish Tom said:

Not sure if it has anything to do with anything, but Bass Pro bought Cabelas a while back. They are now one in the same, even though Cabelas is keeping the name, for now.

 

Irish Tom

 

12 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

 

 I believe it is indeed a Bass Pro policy.

 

 For what it's worth, the last time I bought firearms at Bass Pro, about 2009, there was none of that hand wringing extra super duper safety nonsense either. I got great customer service, excellent pricing, and a very pleasant overall experience.

 

10 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I think Cabela's will be gone in a few short years. Bass Pro bought them out and have already started ruining it.

 

9 hours ago, Just Bill SASS# 16394 said:
  • I went to Cabelas about three months ago with no problem. It is obvious that Bass Pro Has decided they are going to screw things up. I will no longer be using my Cabelas credit card. Any company that treats their customers that way can't stay in business long. My only fear is they don't care. Look at Dicks Sporting goods they pulled all their "BLACK GUNS" and their business is now losing money because they wanted to be so-called- politically correct.
  • :(

I have never been inside a cabelas. Even though I’ve shopped online with them for over a decade, there aren’t any in California. I was just in a bass pro two weeks ago though, which they do have shops here and no trigger locks or anything. None of this pc stuff and very gun friendly. I think folks should look at local laws and policies before blatantly blaming a business that supports guns without actual proof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Just Bill SASS# 16394 said:

I was just in the Springfield Oregon Store yesterday. This is where it all happened. There are only two stores in Oregon. The manager told me this is Corporate policy.

I was in the Tualatin Oregon store yesterday. Locks on everything. I didn’t do any firearm shopping, so I didn’t run into the no locks off policy. I did notice that they have reduced their inventory of Starline brass by about half and half the hooks in the now smaller section were empty. Lots of 454 and 500, zero 357 and 45 Colt. I’ll be buying my brass direct fron Starline from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

And people think California is bad

 

 

 

I have never been inside a cabelas. Even though I’ve shopped online with them for over a decade, there aren’t any in California. I was just in a bass pro two weeks ago though, which they do have shops here and no trigger locks or anything. None of this pc stuff and very gun friendly. I think folks should look at local laws and policies before blatantly blaming a business that supports guns without actual proof. 

 

Bass Pro has been in Nashville for around 20 years, when I say they are ruining Cabela's I assure you I speak from experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

And people think California is bad

 

 

 

I have never been inside a cabelas. Even though I’ve shopped online with them for over a decade, there aren’t any in California. I was just in a bass pro two weeks ago though, which they do have shops here and no trigger locks or anything. None of this pc stuff and very gun friendly. I think folks should look at local laws and policies before blatantly blaming a business that supports guns without actual proof. 

The closest Bass Pro to me is in Hooksett NH. They have trigger locks, and say it’s company policy. In that same town is a large privately owned Shooters Outpost. They don’t have trigger locks,  so local laws aren’t the reason here. Like I said prior the trigger locks don’t offend me. It may be a factor on weather I buy a firearm there, but they sell all new and will ship to manufacture for you if there is a issue so not even a big factor. I won’t be boycotting them for trigger guards. With the political environment today I’m just glad they still support the second amendment. That being said I recently found going a little further to Kittery Trading Post is worth the trip if in search of a cowboy gun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't buy firearms from big box stores. I support my local gun shops where I can inspect the guns, and if I buy it and there is a problem with it later I know it'll be taken care of. Half of those people in the big box stores know nothing about guns to begin with. I was in a local big name store last week with my grandson and just happened to pass by the gun counter. I heard the sales guy tell a customer looking at pistols that no one buys revolvers anymore because you can get more rounds loaded in a semi auto. I just shook my head. I was going to tell him that may be true but I never had a stove pipe jam in my revolver.....and back in the day I could load a six shooter just as fast with a speed loader as a guy changing a magazine in a semi and racking the slide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cabelas, Bass Pro, Dicks, Field and Stream.....etc etc. don't give 2 craps about our gun rights or what we think. I spent 7 years working for Gander Mountain and I can assure you that rights were the furthest thing from their mind. If all the big box stores were gone tomorrow the gun industry would be stronger as a whole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that chafes my butt, is the large stores discontinuing the sale of firearms, but hypocritically still selling all the hunting and shooting paraphernalia.

I stopped buying at the large stores and patronize the "Mom & Pops" for everything now, even if it 's a couple of % point more expensive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

And people think California is bad

 

 

 

I have never been inside a cabelas. Even though I’ve shopped online with them for over a decade, there aren’t any in California. I was just in a bass pro two weeks ago though, which they do have shops here and no trigger locks or anything. None of this pc stuff and very gun friendly. I think folks should look at local laws and policies before blatantly blaming a business that supports guns without actual proof. 

The only proof I have is the manager of the firearm department in Eugene Oregon, looking me in the eyes and stating " IT IS CORPORATES POLICY ALL FIREARMS TO BE TRIGGER LOCKED AND NEVER TO UNLOCK THEM, WE CHECKED THEM FOR FUNCTION AND YOU WILL HAVE TO TRUST US."

When it comes to firearms I don't trust anyone. (Remember you always check a firearm to see if it is empty, always treat a firearm as if it is loaded. NOW I AM SUPOSE TO TRUST SOMEONE ELSE????)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is Corp. policy to follow all state or county regulations that store is located at. Was in Cabela's yesterday and if you wanted a trigger lock you would have to buy one and put it on their gun yourself. Manager just left off the area laws part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

It is Corp. policy to follow all state or county regulations that store is located at. Was in Cabela's yesterday and if you wanted a trigger lock you would have to buy one and put it on their gun yourself. Manager just left off the area laws part.

There is no state or county law that states trigger locks must be on all firearms and can not be removed until the firearm is purchased and removed from the store. None of the Sportsman Warehouse stores or other local gun shops do this type of thing. Would you purchase a car if you could not unlock the door locks to even look inside.?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, County Jr said:

The closest Bass Pro to me is in Hooksett NH. They have trigger locks, and say it’s company policy. In that same town is a large privately owned Shooters Outpost. They don’t have trigger locks,  so local laws aren’t the reason here. Like I said prior the trigger locks don’t offend me. It may be a factor on weather I buy a firearm there, but they sell all new and will ship to manufacture for you if there is a issue so not even a big factor. I won’t be boycotting them for trigger guards. With the political environment today I’m just glad they still support the second amendment. That being said I recently found going a little further to Kittery Trading Post is worth the trip if in search of a cowboy gun. 

 

You overlooked Riley's which is down the road a couple of miles from Shooters Outpost, still in Hookset.   Last time I was in there, just before Christmas, they a few cowboy guns in stock, including a handful of 2nd Gen Colt cap and ball guns.  Riley's is not as good as Kittery, but it's better than SO in my opinion.   Shooters is a very strange place to me.  

 

Been to the Bass Pro you mentioned, I am not impressed by it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

 

You overlooked Riley's which is down the road a couple of miles from Shooters Outpost, still in Hookset.   Last time I was in there, just before Christmas, they a few cowboy guns in stock, including a handful of 2nd Gen Colt cap and ball guns.  Riley's is not as good as Kittery, but it's better than SO in my opinion.   Shooters is a very strange place to me.  

 

Been to the Bass Pro you mentioned, I am not impressed by it.

 

 

I have gone by Riley’s, but never went in. I’ll have to check it out sometime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

And people think California is bad

 

 

 

I have never been inside a cabelas. Even though I’ve shopped online with them for over a decade, there aren’t any in California. I was just in a bass pro two weeks ago though, which they do have shops here and no trigger locks or anything. None of this pc stuff and very gun friendly. I think folks should look at local laws and policies before blatantly blaming a business that supports guns without actual proof. 

 I hold two FFL's. I know our state laws very well. It's a corporate policy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, County Jr said:

 

I have gone by Riley’s, but never went in. I’ll have to check it out sometime. 

 

Definitely worth the occasional visit.   Among other things, they have a decent reloading department, and you can get high quality safes there much less expensively than many other places.   Over the years I have gotten a few pistols from them, and they now have an onsite gunsmith again.   Not had occasion to use said smith, but it's nice to know one is there.  Prices are generally very good.

 

If I had to rank my favorite gunshops here in in New England, it would be...

 

1.  Kittery Trading Post, Kittery Maine.  (L.L. Who?)  (Sorry, very OLD joke   Most won't get it, even locals)

2.  Collector's Gallery, Stoneham MA.

3.  Riley's Hookset, NH

4.  Pete's, Hudson NH

5.  Four Seasons, Woburn MA.   (A distant 5th.)

 

There are of course many other gunshops that I go to once in a while, but these are the ones that are either close to me, or that I consider worth taking the trip to from Eastern Massachusetts on a regular basis.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

 

Definitely worth the occasional visit.   Among other things, they have a decent reloading department, and you can get high quality safes there much less expensively than many other places.   Over the years I have gotten a few pistols from them, and they now have an onsite gunsmith again.   Not had occasion to use said smith, but it's nice to know one is there.  Prices are generally very good.

 

If I had to rank my favorite gunshops here in in New England, it would be...

 

1.  Kittery Trading Post, Kittery Maine.  (L.L. Who?)  (Sorry, very OLD joke   Most won't get it, even locals)

2.  Collector's Gallery, Stoneham MA.

3.  Riley's Hookset, NH

4.  Pete's, Hudson NH

5.  Four Seasons, Woburn MA.   (A distant 5th.)

 

There are of course many other gunshops that I go to once in a while, but these are the ones that are either close to me, or that I consider worth taking the trip to from Eastern Massachusetts on a regular basis.

 

1. Agreed for cowboy style. Factory Demos are great deals. Also I get the LL joke. 

2. Never been. 

3. Already Discussed. 

4. Surprised to see Pete’s here. If your in that area have you tried Affordable in Pelham?  Bob is a good guy. 

5. Also never been. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the gun is not up to par after a purchase where complete inspection is not allowed, I would contend that the seller has committed fraud if they do not agree to a full refund.  I no longer enter the big box "Sporting Goods" stores-haven't been inside one in years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing they won't let you check out the before purchase, offer them the amount of cash that's in your wallet.  $700 dollar gun and my wallet might have $500 to $900 in it.  See what they think of that concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from the Cabelas in my area. Unlike a few months ago, locks are on all guns. I asked the guy behind the counter about the policy and he verified the locks don't come off until purchase. He said it Bass Pro who's behind it. I asked how they expected to sell any guns. He said, "I don't know, we brought that up in meetings, but they did it anyway."

 

This time of year, that store has always been packed. If you needed something from behind the gun counter or wanted to look at a gun, you had to take a number. Today there were as many salespeople as there were customers. As I said earlier, they were once my go-to local retailer. No reason for me to go there anymore. I'm guessing the Cabelas name will disappear and Bass Pro will either hang their name over the door or shutter a lot of locations. Sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several things about Cabela's new policy

 

1) A fellow behind the counter at the Berlin Cabela's told me there was a suicide at one of the box stores in another state (not sure if it was Cabela's, Bass Pro or another big box store) where someone asked to see a pistol, pulled a loaded magazine from his pocket and shot himself, hence the Bass Pro trigger lock policy now hitting Cabela's.  They even lock up the triggers on black powder revolvers!

 

2) Interesting read on a forum I saw somewhere:  When you buy a firearm at Cabela's, you need to sign a waiver saying you understand or were shown the workings of the firearm, but how do your sign the waiver honestly if it's trigger is locked up???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

 I hold two FFL's. I know our state laws very well. It's a corporate policy. 

I hear you, but it sounds like it is corporate policy only in some states.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, County Jr said:

4. Surprised to see Pete’s here. If your in that area have you tried Affordable in Pelham?  Bob is a good guy. 

 

 

Limiting to just Cowboy stuff, I have gotten a Winchester 73, a 92, and a Colt .22.   A few other things as well.  Pete's is a pretty good place, IMO.  

 

Affordable in Pelham.    Which place is that?   Is the one upstairs in a strip mall that specializes in Milsurp stuff?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

 

Affordable in Pelham.    Which place is that?   Is the one upstairs in a strip mall that specializes in Milsurp stuff?

 

 

Yes he has some cowboy guns on occasion. Most of my purchases were from him and Collectors before Terry retired. Still buy from Bob/Affordable when shopping in the area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

I hear you, but it sounds like it is corporate policy only in some states.

 

It's possible. But there is no State law in MI mandating that the trigger lock cannot be removed until after the POS. Trigger locks don't bother me. Used to take them off by the hundreds to show customers. Every single action gun including semi autos in Cabelas case her in town has a cocked hammer now, which looks stupid to boot. I'm a little shocked at level at which shooters will defend a big box store. Regardless of how their employees feel they don't care about "us shooters". There are hundreds of small gun shops waiting for business to walk through the door. I guess if it keeps up the only choices we will have will be Cabelas etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Just got back from the Cabelas in my area. Unlike a few months ago, locks are on all guns. I asked the guy behind the counter about the policy and he verified the locks don't come off until purchase. He said it Bass Pro who's behind it. I asked how they expected to sell any guns. He said, "I don't know, we brought that up in meetings, but they did it anyway."

 

 

Certainly you must be mistaken......that didn't really happen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

I think Cabela's will be gone in a few short years. Bass Pro bought them out and have already started ruining it.

YUP!!! SCJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

It's possible. But there is no State law in MI mandating that the trigger lock cannot be removed until after the POS. Trigger locks don't bother me. Used to take them off by the hundreds to show customers. Every single action gun including semi autos in Cabelas case her in town has a cocked hammer now, which looks stupid to boot. I'm a little shocked at level at which shooters will defend a big box store. Regardless of how their employees feel they don't care about "us shooters". There are hundreds of small gun shops waiting for business to walk through the door. I guess if it keeps up the only choices we will have will be Cabelas etc. 

And the best gun store I have found in a long time -SASS WIRE!! SCJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told the same thing on a rifle I wanted to buy from the gun room.  I asked for the manager and quizzed him on how I could check the rifle out (an antique model 1894 .30wcf) if I could not look at the bore and check the action for function.. The manager told the sales guy to remove the trigger lock.  I told him I needed to go to my truck to retrieve a bore light and would be right back.. The manager told me to hang on and he fired up his camera with a probe to check the bore. Long story short, I thanked him very much ad bought the rifle.

MS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Yup. Bought some supplies from Scheels yesterday. Got what I needed right then right there. No more expensive than local Cabelas/Bass Pro and it’s minutes from my house. Could do better online, but shipping kills the difference on small quantities. I can buy a $10 item at Midway USA plus $10 in shipping, or pay $12 at Scheels. Sheels staff is helpful too. Haven't had much luck finding anyone in the building to help at BP/Cabelas lately. 

 

Cabelas used to be my local go-to big box, but not anymore. Gave up on BP long ago. Inventory and selection is so bad I don’t know how they compete. Maybe they don’t need to and have relegated us to a niche market. Don’t really care as I have lots of options both locally and online. 

 

I LOVE capitalism! Vote with your wallet!

 

 

Schells outdoor clothing is much more expensive than at Cabelas.  Since Sparks is closer to home than Verdi we shopped a Scheels 1st.  The misses loved a couple of jackets but didn't want to pay $300-400.  The quality of their outdoor clothing is top of the line; which for hunting is well worth it if you can use it for many years.  Last winter both Cabelas & Sheels were running sales on heavy duty coolers.  I bought the Scheels private labeled product; because it was less expensive.  I haven't been disappointed by its' performance. I've only purchased one firearm from a Scheels, Bass Pro or Cabelas.  That was a S&W 38S bodyguard with integral laser.  It is the misses carry gun.  I bought it at Cabelas; because, my retirement gift was a $2K Cabelas gift card and they couldn't find the 38/357 Uberti 73 20" half octagonal rifle I wanted.  The I addition to the revolver the card was used for clothing, shoes, shooting accessories, etc.  It a couple of years before I found a NIB rifle on Gunbroker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know about the other Cabela's , but since Bass Pro took over the store in Glendale, AZ. said they no longer give Military/Veterans discount and no layaways.  If you ain't got the money today you ain't gettin the gun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.