SASS Wire Forum

Is Cabelas following Dicks sporting goods policy?

Just Bill SASS# 16394

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Perfect example of some of the benefits consumers get from increased supply, more choices, lower prices.

To funny - increased supply that's playing under different rules and competing against it's own distribution channel...yeah, standard supply/demand models apply:lol:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Would you like me to make a long winded post... Which seems popular with some?

If It requires you to be long winded to make your point and be understood, then be long winded.    Use as many or as few words as needed to be clear.   If that means a lot, so be it.   Better to be understood than not.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

The business model flaw that I see is that online sales has the LGS as a part of their distribution channel yet also competes with them... That's not a good recipe for a long relationship.

Phantom

I completely disagree.

The LGS and the internet sales model can coexist and thrive.

I only compete with the internet, when and if I happen to have the exact same product for sale on my shelf.  If I do not; I was not going to earn the sale anyway.

The big boxes/ internet retailers can purchase and sell new firearms at less than my wholesale cost (it's called volume purchasing); so any LGS attempting to sell Ruger 10-22's versus Wal-Mart is foolish.  

But what I can sell are used firearms with a greater markup/ less customer expectation of finding exactly the same online for comparison shopping.

And most importantly; I can WELCOME the internet shopper in my shop by handling their FFL transfer in a reasonable and friendly manner.

Too many LGS act like the internet shopper is an insult or traitor and do everything to make a FFL transfer over priced and inconvenient.

My opinion is the FFL transfer/ internet customer is a 100% profit transaction that brings traffic into my shop. 

Keep paying me $20 transfer fees with no requirement to order, finance and stock inventory?   I'll happily fill out 4473 forms all day long and provide an internet kiosk so you can search the net right there in the store.

2 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I completely disagree.

I only compete with the internet, when and if I happen to have the exact same product for sale on my shelf.  If I do not; I was not going to earn the sale anyway.

The big boxes/ internet retailers can purchase and sell new firearms at less than my wholesale cost (it's called volume purchasing); so any LGS attempting to sell Ruger 10-22's versus Wal-Mart is foolish.  

But what I can sell are used firearms with a greater markup/ less customer expectation of finding exactly the same online for comparison shopping.

And most importantly; I can WELCOME the internet shopper in my shop by handling their FFL transfer in a reasonable and friendly manner.

Too many LGS act like the internet shopper is an insult or traitor and do everything to make a FFL transfer over priced and inconvenient.

My opinion is the FFL transfer/ internet customer is a 100% profit transaction that brings traffic into my shop. 

Keep paying me $20 transfer fees with no requirement to order, finance and stock inventory?   I'll happily fill out 4473 forms all day long and provide an internet kiosk so you can search the net right there in the store.

THIS is the position my LGS takes which is why I buy ALL my supplies from them, guns when possible, and happily pay their $35 transfer fee multiple times a year.

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I completely disagree.

Obviously there are truths in your position, but you fail to address the channel competition issue.

Semi personal question. What kind of new gun inventory so you maintain in your shop?

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

THIS is the position my LGS takes which is why I buy ALL my supplies from them, guns when possible, and happily pay their $35 transfer fee multiple times a year.

Internet sales has decreased in store purchases of accessories by some 70%...

And most importantly; I can WELCOME the internet shopper in my shop by handling their FFL transfer in a reasonable andfriendly manner.

I’m trying to have a rifle shipped here that I’m buying on the Wire Classifieds and one of the LGS wants $75.00 and one wants $125.00 above the state fees to do the transfers. I know the LGS has to make a buck but those charges seem a bit high to me. The closest LGS to me won’t do a transfer on any internet sales and he considers the SASS Wire Classifieds an internet sale.

26 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I completely disagree.

20 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

$20? $35?  I wish you were local

14 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

And most importantly; I can WELCOME the internet shopper in my shop by handling their FFL transfer in a reasonable andfriendly manner.

I’m trying to have a rifle shipped here that I’m buying on the Wire Classifieds and one of the LGS wants $75.00 and one wants $125.00 above the state fees to do the transfers. I know the LGS has to make a buck but those charges seem a bit high to me. The closest LGS to me won’t do a transfer on any internet sales and he considers the SASS Wire Classifieds an internet sale.

Yeah the cheapest one near me is $75 plus the $25 for an even C note. Everywhere is is much more expensive. For what it’s worth, I only buy online guns I can’t get locally. Basically all of my Colts. I’ll pay a few bucks more to buy it from the shop instead if it’s available. Or I’ll ask the owner which is more profitable for him. With there being I believe two stores left in my county, I’ll do my best to keep them open. Even if that means my transaction record takes up its own drawer. 

31 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

13 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

$20? $35?  I wish you were local

Yeah the cheapest one near me is $75 plus the $25 for an even C note. Everywhere is is much more expensive. For what it’s worth, I only buy online guns I can’t get locally. Basically all of my Colts. I’ll pay a few bucks more to buy it from the shop instead if it’s available. Or I’ll ask the owner which is more profitable for him. With there being I believe two stores left in my county, I’ll do my best to keep them open. Even if that means my transaction record takes up its own drawer. 

Thank the good sweet Lord I live in NH over CA.  Was quoted $20, by my closest gun shop. Told him I would rather give him the business, but was interested in transfer services for things he doesn’t stock like Uberti or Colt SAAs. He was very pleasant is also keeping his ears to the ground for a SAA for me. 

25 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Obviously there are truths in your position, but you fail to address the channel competition issue.

Semi personal question. What kind of new gun inventory do you maintain in your shop?

I don't stock any new firearms.

I specialize in used firearms and internet transfers. 

Very limited ammo sales; very limited accessories. 

Again, these skus have fallen prey to internet pricing and wider availability.

I can't financially compete with the Buds, Big Boxes and internet "wholesale retailers" 

These dollars are better spent on used inventory that are not "dime a dozen" common items.

I have situated my shop to service needs that the internet is poorly suited or incapable to serve (rare and interesting used firearms), fairly priced consignment service and obviously the FFL transfer process.

The market and the consumer has changed; the internet is seen as just as reliable and reasonable to purchase from as a brick and mortar location.

The pricing and selection from the internet on commodity items is impossible to compete with.

So the small retailer must find ways to differentiate and attract the consumer to enter their shop. 

And it will only be by providing niche products or services not available online - as the days of competing on selection and price are over.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Good Lord....the pawn shops compete around here -anywhere from 25-50 dollars to do a transfer...

2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I can't financially compete with the Buds, Big Boxes and internet "wholesale retailers" 

These dollars are better spent on used inventory that are not "dime a dozen" common items.

I have situated my shop to service needs that the internet is poorly suited or incapable to serve (rare and interesting used firearms), fairly priced consignment service and obviously the FFL transfer process.

The market and the consumer has changed; the internet is seen as just as reliable and reasonable to purchase from as a brick and mortar location.

The pricing and selection from the internet on commodity items is impossible to compete with.

So the small retailer must find ways to differentiate and attract the consumer to enter their shop. 

And it will only be by providing niche products or services not available online - as the days of competing on selection and price are over.

If that's how we are going to define what a gun shop is for the 21st century... Great.

Think we should start calling our shops gun dispensaries.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Lunger Dan said:

Good Lord....the pawn shops compete around here -anywhere from 25-50 dollars to do a transfer...

Pawn shops don’t do guns around here.

7 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

If that's how we are going to define what a gun shop is for the 21st century... Great.

Think we should start calling our shops gun dispensaries.

Phantom

If you have a better way or deeper pockets; I fully support your right to proceed as you see fit.

But...

I must do what keeps my business viable.

And I believe that I have had to change with the times to remain in business.

My shop has been in business since 2000 and during that same time; 13 other gunshop/ sporting goods shops have failed within the town where my shop is located.

I don't believe I'm still in business by accident.

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

If you have a better way or deeper pockets; I fully support your right to proceed as you see fit.

But...

I must do what keeps my business viable.

And I believe that I have had to change with the times to remain in business.

My shop has been in business since 2000 and during that same time; 13 other gunshop/ sporting goods shops have failed within the town where my shop is located.

I don't believe I'm still in business by accident.

I don't fault you for doing what you have to do.

But seems as though many on this and other forums want a traditional gun shop with new and used inventory... Accessories... Etc... Yet boast about the great online deals they get.

Your business plan (which is fine), is pretty much where the LGS must go in order to survive in many places. 

If this is fine for these folks that need to touch and feel... And ask questions for his on end, great 

Please don't interpret my comments as an attack on your shop.

Phantom

5 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Yup. Ain't no way you're gonna compete with outdoor superstore when they sell guns at distributor cost. Or Palmetto when they sell ammo/stuff cheaper than I can get it from MY wholesalers LOL. Internet auction sites have driven up gun prices here and there but you're right; used it the way to go. I make less than 20% on new guns. A little more than that on 'stuff" but used guns, depending, I can make more. I like used guns. Too much, LOL. Transfers $35 bucks. Most goes smoothly. I have several firearms that were shipped in but the buyer has never picked them up despite repeated calls.  One guy was denied right off, hasn't called back. Of course the piece of junk he bought from a pawn shop in FL isn't a Colt like the paperwork said, its a frankenstein gun that DEFINITELY not worth the 950 he paid for it. And they don't want it back LOL. Then there was a guy who threw a fit because I didn't have 4473's in spanish but when I got them in, hasn't returned for his weirdo internet deal gun and his cell# doesn't take incoming calls or messages. No response from that guy either. Its stuff like that that makes me think $35 ain't worth it LOL. But we do it anyway.

4 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

I have several firearms that were shipped in but the buyer has never picked them up despite repeated calls.  One guy was denied right off, hasn't called back. Of course the piece of junk he bought from a pawn shop in FL isn't a Colt like the paperwork said, its a frankenstein gun that DEFINITELY not worth the 950 he paid for it. And they don't want it back LOL. 

Straight up question, are you out any money on the transaction, or did the buyer deal direct with the seller so he's out the $950? What do/can you do with a gun when the seller doesn't want it back? Are there paperwork or fees involved to remove you from the paper trail?

9 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Straight up question, are you out any money on the transaction, or did the buyer deal direct with the seller so he's out the $950? What do/can you do with a gun when the seller doesn't want it back? Are there paperwork or fees involved to remove you from the paper trail?

Nope, other than our standard $35 fee. Legally, we could sell the items as unclaimed property for fees.  But being legal don't make it right. So they sit. The shipper, they don't want the guns back, they got their money. I can see their point. In the greater scheme of things, flaky buyers like this are in the tenths of fractions of a percent. Ain't worth fretting about so these guns will sit in a corner until the boss decides to do something. Or not LOL.

22 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I completely disagree.

You sound like a cowboy that's good to deal with, a lot like my local gun shop owner, hope you do really well in the coming years!  SCJ

So here is the exact letter I sent to Cabelas... Please see at the end their response

and see my letter back to them again.....

I have a terrible problem. I went into the Springfield, Oregon store's gun library. I saw two used handguns I was interested in. I asked the sales person if I could see them. He said No problem. He then took them out the case. After looking them over I liked the one and asked if he would remove the trigger lock so I could see if the cylinder and action would operate properly. To my surprise He said " No if you want to buy it you must buy it without removing the trigger lock." Needless to say I was shocked. The handgun was a used firearm and how was to know if it function properly? He told me it was corporate policy. I am confused, am I suppose to purchase a firearm not knowing if it even functions properly? I am not permitted to return firearms once purchased them. If this is the case I will no longer be shopping at Cabelas. I feel it may be time to discontinue my credit card with you also. I am sorry. This is no way to run a business.
I am truly sorry I have enjoyed driving the 150 miles north to go to Cabelas and purchase firearms and other gear. I fear you have no longer any concern for your customers.
William Longiotti

here is their response

Response By Email (Loretta C.) (01/01/2019 05:22 PM)
Good afternoon William:

We do apologize for your dissatisfaction you received at the Springfield, OR retail store.,  We are the Omni Channel for Cabelas.com, catalog orders and retail orders.

If you are having an issue with the retail store, I would suggest that you contact the retail store to get the issue taken care of.  I will forward your information to the retail store.
Thank you for visiting cabelas.com.

Sincerely,
Loretta C.
Customer Service

Needless to say I rewrote the this
Did you read my E-Mail?
Are you saying the the Springfield, Oregon Cabelas has made their own rules and are putting trigger locks on everyone of their firearms on their own? Are they lying to me when they said that Corporate that told them they can not remove the trigger locks, even when I wanted to try the firearm for a function test? It is nearly impossible to purchase a used firearm without knowing if the timing is correct or if all the safeties functions operate correctly. It seems to me the liability of me having to trust someone else to check the firearm’s operation is just too much to rely on.
Bill Longiotti

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Uh...I think what they were saying is that you contacted the wrong folks.

Their response was fine... Perhaps you're confused... Or perhaps I'm confused...

Phantom

well here is their final response.

I think it basically says POUND SAND in a polite manner

Subject

Firearm Department
Response By Email (Shelly L.) (01/02/2019 07:57 PM)
Hello,

Thank you for your interest in looking at or purchasing a firearm from Cabela’s.
We require trigger locks on all firearms in our stores as a safety precaution for our customers and team members as part of our efforts to proudly advocate and model responsible firearms ownership.
We apologize for any disappointment or inconvenience this might cause.

Cabela's greatly appreciates hearing from our customers and I have forwarded your feedback.  Our management team will review your comments and take any and all appropriate action.

We value your business and look forward to serving your future sporting needs.

Thank you for visiting cabelas.com. 

Sincerely,
Shelly L.
Customer Service

Safety precaution?

Maybe they should stop selling firearms entirely.

Oh wait... 

Hopefully the LGS around get an uptick in business.

I went to a local Academy Sports yesterday and they have the same policy. Trigger locks that are apparently unremoveable. 

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Just an FYI, not saying I support the policy, but it's been known to happen that people come in and ask to see a gun, put a round in and commit suicide.

Phantom

Yep, it happened twice at a range/store in Escondido in a very short period of time, they have since gone out of business.

Yep, it happened twice at a range/store in Escondido in a very short period of time, they have since gone out of business.

It's a horrible thing... Imagine the impact on the employee.

So folks need to understand that companies may have a valid reason for requiring locks on their guns.

Phantom

Same here. About 10 years apart at the same indoor range. No apparent effect on their business as far as I can tell. 

Some of their store's policies with regard to rentals changed (not sure exactly what as I don't rent). 

As tragic as suicide is and the lasting emotional effects it has, with this example I have to wonder just how far corporations will eventually go in response to something statistically so remote, that fear of said event trumps 99.99% of the remainder of potential and "non-volitile" customers/consumers/whatever...

Has anyone ever been killed while test driving a vehicle they were thinking about purchasing from a dealership?  I don't know but I'm going to say probably. The tragedy is the same with the death involved  but if car dealerships stopped offering potential customers test drives they wouldn't sell anything.

8 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Same here. About 10 years apart at the same indoor range. No apparent effect on their business as far as I can tell. 

Some of their store's policies with regard to rentals changed (not sure exactly what as I don't rent). 

As tragic as suicide is and the lasting emotional effects it has, with this example I have to wonder just how far corporations will eventually go in response to something statistically so remote, that fear of said event trumps 99.99% of the remainder of potential and "non-volitile" customers/consumers/whatever...

Has anyone ever been killed while test driving a vehicle they were thinking about purchasing from a dealership?  I don't know but I'm going to say probably. The tragedy is the same with the death involved  but if car dealerships stopped offering potential customers test drives they wouldn't sell anything.

Unfortunately businesses sometimes craft policy to the lowest common denominator.  That's how you get those ugly warnings roll marked onto Ruger barrels, irons with warnings not to use them on your clothes while wearing them, coffee is hot warnings.

Dick's probably thinks they have perfectly good reasons for not selling long guns to people younger than 21.  It's their business and I'm fine with that, I just won't ever buy from them again.  The same with trigger locks, if they won't take them off for me to check the gun I'll take my business elsewhere, permanently. 

I don't really care what their reasoning is and they clearly don't care if they lose my business.

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Unfortunately businesses sometimes craft policy to the lowest common denominator.  That's how you get those ugly warnings roll marked onto Ruger barrels, irons with warnings not to use them on your clothes while wearing them, coffee is hot warnings.

Dick's probably thinks they have perfectly good reasons for not selling long guns to people younger than 21.  It's their business and I'm fine with that, I just won't ever buy from them again.  The same with trigger locks, if they won't take them off for me to check the gun I'll take my business elsewhere, permanently. 

I don't really care what their reasoning is and they clearly don't care if they lose my business.

Two things...

I think Dicks is starting to regret their decisions. Took long enough, but with their stocks going down if they don’t wonder if they made a mistake they are fools. They do miss your business. 

To them not selling firearms to people under 21...  I don’t like it, but can respect it. It’s their company, but where they screwed themselves was taken their profits and using them for anti gun advocates in Washington. That’s a big slap

in the face to a good portion of their customers. 

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Liability insurers may dictate the trigger locks and they aren’t telling us that, I don’t know. The last time I took a car for a test drive I had to give them my drivers license and a copy of my insurance card in order to do the test drive. I refused  and they refused to let me test drive the car. I went to another dealer and they required the same and I gave in and did it because I was sick of car dealers.

A range I go to has a policy that they will not rent guns to people who are by themselves.  When I asked, they claimed they had people rent guns and commit suicide. Sounded fishy to me, but I guess it's really a thing.  

If I'd come up against that at cabela's, I probably would have asked to talk to the gun counter manager.  Like you, I can't imagine they could ever sell a used gun with a policy of not removing the trigger lock AND no returns.  If the manager gives you the same story, offer them a price that would be fair for a revolver that needs lots of work done on the internals.  If he says it doesn't need lots of work tell him to prove it. 

Yul, I probably won't ever do a test drive at a dealership again.  Last time we bought a car from a dealer, they harvested my info from the driver's license and now harass me every year on my birthday.  I'm fit to be tied every year when I get that stupid card from them.  I called the salesman the first year and chewed him out before he told me it wasn't his doing.  Off topic I know, but the misuse of my personal information really riles me up. 

There was an incident around here about ten years ago when twin sisters from Australia who said they felt some affinity for the victims of Columbine (I never really heard a cogent explanation of this) went to an outdoor shooting range and rented handguns and shot each other in the head. One lived and one died, the parents flew in to take the surviving daughter back to Australia. Talk about an awkward ride home. A buddy of mine was working at that range that day. I never asked him about it. Also read a story a few years ago, maybe in the Orange County Register, listing a bunch of suicides at gun ranges in southern California. Gun locks won't prevent suicide because the determined will always find a way.

9 hours ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

There was an incident around here about ten years ago when twin sisters from Australia who said they felt some affinity for the victims of Columbine (I never really heard a cogent explanation of this) went to an outdoor shooting range and rented handguns and shot each other in the head. One lived and one died, the parents flew in to take the surviving daughter back to Australia. Talk about an awkward ride home. A buddy of mine was working at that range that day. I never asked him about it. Also read a story a few years ago, maybe in the Orange County Register, listing a bunch of suicides at gun ranges in southern California. Gun locks won't prevent suicide because the determined will always find a way.

It's not about preventing suicides, it's about preventing suicides in your store.  

;)

Archived