SASS Wire Forum

Is Cabelas following Dicks sporting goods policy?

Just Bill SASS# 16394

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

It's possible. But there is no State law in MI mandating that the trigger lock cannot be removed until after the POS. Trigger locks don't bother me. Used to take them off by the hundreds to show customers. Every single action gun including semi autos in Cabelas case her in town has a cocked hammer now, which looks stupid to boot. I'm a little shocked at level at which shooters will defend a big box store. Regardless of how their employees feel they don't care about "us shooters". There are hundreds of small gun shops waiting for business to walk through the door. I guess if it keeps up the only choices we will have will be Cabelas etc. 

And then where will all these folks get their transfers done when they buy online to save on taxes???

<_<

13 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And then where will all these folks get their transfers done when they buy online to save on taxes???

<_<

Right............I hear it couple times a week “ I refuse to pay sales tax on a gun” while I’m doing their Buds Guns transfer. I take their $35 but would rather have the $25 from a gun I ordered for them. 

28 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yea... Right. And who's doing the 4473???

<_<

Well "phantom" when I buy one, my local gun shop does, whats your point?  SCJ

It's unfortunate that Cabela's was in financial trouble and got bought out by Bass pro shop.  I don't have as many places to shop as a lot of you do, so I appreciate the variety of products that Cabela's offers. I don't want them or any gun store to go out of business because it means there are fewer places to buy from, and that's Not a good thing. Things change and when it comes to guns it's usually for the worst. Cabela's employees don't get to make the rules any more than I did when I was working. Shop were you want, but I hope you get over the put Cabela's or whoever out of business idea because it just hurts shooters and hunters.

And yes I bought a used shotgun from Cabela's with the unremovable trigger lock and no warranty and it had a problem, which I won't have found even if I could have removed the trigger lock, but I knew going in that I was taking that risk just like when I buy a used gun at a gun show.

Silver Rings

Cabelas sells a lot of black guns, that's what they have in their showcases. I doubt they will miss the sales of a few CAS shooters.

The youngsters buying those black guns have been indoctrinated and are used to trigger locks and other nuisances. 

The value of the real estate of the Cabelas stores is incredible, I doubt they'll be closing their doors anytime soon.  

The original Cablelas store in Sidney, Nebraska is half the store it used to be and so is Sidney. It's pretty much a seasonal store and is slow after Christmas until late spring, I could see them shutting it down, it's also the oldest. It was the only storefront for years when they were a catalog store. 

2 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

I could explain my point to you... Draw a schematic... Produce a video... And you still wouldn't get the point... "Jack"

Phantom

1 hour ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

His point is we should only buy guns from our local gun shop period. No big box stores, no GunBroker, no SASS Classifieds, no online purchases, etc.

Otherwise the local shops will cease to exist. 

He has a valid argument and transfers alone will not keep a gun shop open.

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

His point is we should only buy guns from our local gun shop period. No big box stores, no GunBroker, no SASS Classifieds, no online purchases, etc.

Does that mean we shouldn't be buying guns online from Cody Conagher, Longhunter, Jimmy Spurs, Evil Roy et al?  Does that mean when I get too old or infirm to shoot, I shouldn't list my guns on SASS classifieds where our niche market exists? Should I turn them over to my LGS on consignment for disposal?

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Does that mean we shouldn't be buying guns online from Cody Conagher, Longhunter, Jimmy Spurs, Evil Roy et al?  Does that mean when I get too old or infirm to shoot, I shouldn't list my guns on SASS classifieds where our niche market exists? Should I turn them over to my LGS on consignment for disposal?

Oh yeah, that's exactly what I mean.

:wacko:

11 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

If you look closely, you'll see my comment was directed at Tyrel. Unless he speaks for you.

I don't. It was a w.a.g. at what he really meant and I probably went a lot further than reality.

That said, folks that save $50 and taxes by buying from big box stores, buds, GunBroker, etc. will at some point end the local gun shops, they cannot survive on transfers alone.

I’m a hunter-gatherer by nature and buy my guns from a few local gun stores. I never go in looking for anything in particular other than cowboy guns in general and from time to time I find something I can’t live without. The only gun I’ve purchased at a Cabelas was a Pietta 58 Remington because it was on sale and cheap. I’d rather deal with the random inventory at the LGS than the spiritual vacuum of a big box. It’s self-regulating in a way, and more fun.

16 minutes ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

I’m a hunter-gatherer by nature and buy my guns from a few local gun stores. I never go in looking for anything in particular other than cowboy guns in general and from time to time I find something I can’t live without. The only gun I’ve purchased at a Cabelas was a Pietta 58 Remington because it was on sale and cheap. I’d rather deal with the random inventory at the LGS than the spiritual vacuum of a big box. It’s self-regulating in a way, and more fun.

Those statements are contradictory. Sounds like you're saying you support your LGS unless a really good deal appears elsewhere? Maybe your LGS would have ordered one for you and matched the price?

6 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Those statements are contradictory. Sounds like you're saying you support your LGS unless a really good deal appears elsewhere? Maybe your LGS would have ordered one for you and matched the price?

No, those statements are not contradictory. Those statements clearly convey that as a rule, with one noted exception, I buy my guns at an LGS and that one exception is a BP gun (which is not a gun at all) that Cabelas sells frequently as a Loss Leader. What’s the payoff in trying to pick a fight with a guy who favors LGS over big box?

1 minute ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

No, those statements are not contradictory. Those statements clearly convey that as a rule, with one noted exception, I buy my guns at an LGS and that one exception is a BP gun (which is not a gun at all) that Cabelas sells frequently as a Loss Leader. What’s the payoff in trying to pick a fight with a guy who favors LGS over big box?

Did ya hear that Frontiersman and all you BP shooters? A BP gun is not a gun at all. :wacko:

1 minute ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Did ya hear that Frontiersman and all you BP shooters? A BP gun is not a gun at all. :wacko:

No paperwork to fill out and you can legally ship it through the mail with no transfer. You should look into that.

I have also noticed some changes at the Cabellas in Anchorage.  I was there with my family this week and even my wife commented on all the bass pro shop marked signage and merchandise for sale at Cabellas.  Kind of strange.  

Fortunately, we have some really good local shops and a Sportsman’s Warehouse, which has always had better prices than Cabellas.  Sportsman’s does not carry used (read old) guns, so I have not purchased anything there in years, but it is nice to have an alternative. 

8 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Right............I hear it couple times a week “ I refuse to pay sales tax on a gun” while I’m doing their Buds Guns transfer. I take their $35 but would rather have the $25 from a gun I ordered for them. 

So so to make sure I’m understanding you make more off a transfer then you do on most new firearms?  I know that can be the case and other industries. Lots of local Gunshops make most of their money on used firearms much like a car dealership.

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I see the argument for Big Box stores, but if you purchase a firearm off Gunbroker aren’t you usually supporting two Mom & Pop gunshops?  The one you bought it from and the local gun shop who does the transfer. I would much rather cut down on the people and purchase from a small local gun shop, but we are in kind of a much market here. Most gunshops will have 20 glocks and not one Uberti or Colt Revolver. 

8 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

7 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I could explain my point to you... Draw a schematic... Produce a video... And you still wouldn't get the point... "Jack"

Phantom

Just a small attempt at sarcasm there ol pard, don't get your panties in a wad, I buy quite a few guns from my LGS,  also scopes for my modern guns, rings mounts, and reloading supplies. Have never bought a gun from a big box store. Besides the inflated prices who wants to stand in line for an hour or more? I like buying from individuals both around here and on the wire, have made a lot of friends doing that and got exactly what I was looking for and will continue to do so. As far as IM concerned, you cant beat buying from the guys on  Sass Wire, never had a bad transaction or a bad firearm and count several of them as very good friends. You have a great new year.         "Jack"

7 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

:) Just pokin the bear Tyrel, thanks though!  SCJ

3 hours ago, County Jr said:

So so to make sure I’m understanding you make more off a transfer then you do on most new firearms?  I know that can be the case and other industries. Lots of local Gunshops make most of their money on used firearms much like a car dealership.

I see the argument for Big Box stores, but if you purchase a firearm off Gunbroker aren’t you usually supporting two Mom & Pop gunshops?  The one you bought it from and the local gun shop who does the transfer. I would much rather cut down on the people and purchase from a small local gun shop, but we are in kind of a much market here. Most gunshops will have 20 glocks and not one Uberti or Colt Revolver. 

You’re exactly right. Every GB purchase I have made was from either a gun store in another part of the country or an individual. My LGS posts on GB.  When I saw an SKB for sale there I told a pard in TX and he bought it, through GB. 

One function GB serves that ‘some’ LGS’s don’t like is it broadens supply, which typically results in lower prices and more choices. Some don’t like the competition. I say TS.

I like my LGS, but it’s a for profit business and without GB I’m confident many of the guns it sells would be priced much higher.

4 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

:) Just pokin the bear Tyrel, thanks though!  SCJ

Very cowboy of ya.

Oh, and trust me, my pantries aren't in a wad... Truly hope to meet you someday. 

Phantom

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

You’re exactly right. Every GB purchase I have made was from either a gun store in another part of the country or an individual. My LGS posts on GB.  When I saw an SKB for sale there I told a pard in TX and he bought it, through GB. 

One function GB serves that ‘some’ LGS’s don’t like is it broadens supply, which typically results in lower prices and more choices. Some don’t like the competition. I say TS.

I like my LGS, but it’s a for profit business and without GB I’m confident many of the guns it sells would be priced much higher.

You lack a true understanding of the retail gun industry.

Guns get dumped for cash flow reasons.  Guns get moved out of inventory because they didn't sell well in a region, etc.

All fine and dandy yet with the internet these sales are now national. Take away the collection of sales taxes and the LGS can't compete.

For all you know it all's, typical markup on new guns is about 10-15% gross. 

The business model flaw that I see is that online sales has the LGS as a part of their distribution channel yet also competes with them... That's not a good recipe for a long relationship.

Phantom

21 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Very cowboy of ya.

Oh, and trust me, my pantries aren't in a wad... Truly hope to meet you someday. 

Phantom

Well thank you, and glad to hear it....... I will look forward to it!  SCJ

On the other hand...

I am familiar with one local gun store where the owner has personally told me they would not be able to survive unless they had a strong presence on gun broker selling firearms through the Internet. 

18 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

It's possible. But there is no State law in MI mandating that the trigger lock cannot be removed until after the POS. Trigger locks don't bother me. Used to take them off by the hundreds to show customers. Every single action gun including semi autos in Cabelas case her in town has a cocked hammer now, which looks stupid to boot. I'm a little shocked at level at which shooters will defend a big box store. Regardless of how their employees feel they don't care about "us shooters". There are hundreds of small gun shops waiting for business to walk through the door. I guess if it keeps up the only choices we will have will be Cabelas etc. 

I get it.  I wasn't sticking up for the big guys, just responding to what some of the posters had reported.  I get my stuff at GUNS4US, Ridgecrest, California.  The owner is a member of my home club.  And I think even the big box sporting goods stores will go away.  One day we will have Walmart and Amazon, and that will be about it.

Since Jim Bowie and Cowboys and Indians moved to Arizona territory there aren’t any LGS that carry cowboy guns. I’ve asked a couple of dealers about it and they point me to their Henry rifle selection or their two or three Colts. One had a pair of nickel 2nd generation Colts in 38-40 that I would have loved to have but I didn’t have the $4,400.00 that he was asking for the pair. One LGS that I’ve been buying old 1897 shotguns from showed me a cowboy gun that he just got in that I might be interested in and it was an engraved 1860 Henry reproduction for $3,200.00 I believe it was.

Turners Outdoorsman a Southern California chain very rarely has any lever guns besides Henry and the couple that were not Henry were Marlin Guide guns in non SASS calibers. CAS is such a small part of the gun business it seems that the local LGS don’t see much upside in having cowboy guns on the shelf. I ordered a new Winchester Miruko rifle from one LGS a few years back and instead of 44-40 it showed up in .45 Colt they tried to force me into taking it and I wouldn’t so I got my deposit back and bought one from John Barleycorn one of the SASS merchants.

2 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Since Jim Bowie and Cowboys and Indians moved to Arizona territory there aren’t any LGS that carry cowboy guns. I’ve asked a couple of dealers about it and they point me to their Henry rifle selection or their two or three Colts. One had a pair of nickel 2nd generation Colts in 38-40 that I would have loved to have but I didn’t have the $4,400.00 that he was asking for the pair. One LGS that I’ve been buying old 1897 shotguns from showed me a cowboy gun that he just got in that I might be interested in and it was an engraved 1860 Henry reproduction for $3,200.00 I believe it was.

Turners Outdoorsman a Southern California chain very rarely has any lever guns besides Henry and the couple that were not Henry were Marlin Guide guns in non SASS calibers. CAS is such a small part of the gun business it seems that the local LGS don’t see much upside in having cowboy guns on the shelf. I ordered a new Winchester Miruko rifle from one LGS a few years back and instead of 44-40 it showed up in .45 Colt they tried to force me into taking it and I wouldn’t so I got my deposit back and bought one from John Barleycorn one of the SASS merchants.

Perfect example of some of the benefits consumers get from increased supply, more choices, lower prices.

Archived