SASS Wire Forum

Is Cabelas following Dicks sporting goods policy?

Just Bill SASS# 16394

I got a response from Cabelas it is on page 4

I live in Oregon and try to travel up to the Cabelas about 150 miles north of here every few months, just to check out their used gun library. I can usually find a cowboy shotgun or a handgun slightly used, but sometimes reasonably priced. This time I saw a small pistol. I asked to see it. The sales person said " No Problem" He pulled it out opened the action checked to make sure it was empty (unloaded) and handed it to. It was used but looked to be in good shape. I said please remove the trigger guard so I could check the action and see it the cylinder would rotate and check the timing. He told me "NO" IT IS A Corporate policy never to remove a trigger lock. IF I WANT TO BUY THE FIREARM I MUST PURCHASE IT THE WAY IT IS" I almost fell over. I placed the firearm down. I explained to him it is necessary to see the gun function to purchase it. Needless to say I gave him the gun back talked to the office personal they told me the same thing. I told them I will not be back. I wrote a letter to Corporate and will see what they will say.  Has anyone else heard of this stupid policy????

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not at the one here,,, they don't even have trigger locks on their used guns or new ones

In Oregon they have trigger locks on every used firearm and every new firearm. How in the world can you compare two different brands of handgun trigger pulls to determine which one is the best for you? It is like buying a pig in a poke

Many years ago when Abercrombie & Fitch was a real department store, they had a floor in their NYC store solely for guns.  Regular production stuff and some real expensive items.  All were available to look at until someone went up there one day, loaded a firearm off the rack and killed himself.  Needless to say, that spelled the end of the firearms section of the store. 

It's probably a corporate decision to prevent unauthorized use.  At last look, in September, the  stores here in MN, Cabelas had no locks on the gun library firearms or the used racks. The new stuff, also without locks, are in and behind the counters.  Fleet Farm has locks on the AR type long guns, which are also in locked cases.

Don't know anything about Dicks sporting goods, never been in one and we have one here in Des Moines. A few years back I was at Bass Pro, seen a smith and wesson revolver that appealed to me, looked at it, ask the saleman to take off the trigger guard and he said company policy can't do it, I told him you just lost sale and I won't be back in this store again, and I haven't. After that I went to Sportsmans Warehouse and looked at a smith and wesson revolver and I bought that one plus I bought a ruger  LCR revolver at the same time. No trigger guards on any guns in this store, haven't been there for a spell so not sure about now, things could have changed.

All for now JD Trampas

Around here, my aggravation with the Dicks, Cabelas and Gander Mountain is they ask me for my birth date to buy ammunition or a knife.   They give a BS explanation that ATF requires them to ask.  They may not be able to sell to someone under 21, but there's not an ATF requirement that they ask my birth date.  I sure look way over 21.  That's  personal information they don't need and I don't like them putting it in their computer. 

I get my firearms, ammunition and reloading supplies from smaller gun stores wherever possible.   

I ran into it recently at the Cabelas in Berlin, Mass.  (Where they refuse to sell used pistols, BTW)   They had a very nice looking Marlin 98, with a factory 20" barrel.  (I know, it's not SASS legal, but I do find it to be an interesting shotgun.)  I asked them if they could take the trigger guard off so I could perform some safety checks under their supervision, and they said no.   I explained the reasons for the safety checks and how to do them, and asked them if they would take the gun out back and perform the checks themselves.   They gave the corporate policy statement.   The price was great, but I would not buy it without being able to check.    The clerks were sympathetic, but their hands were tied.   I did not buy the gun.

Policies like this are just plain stoopid.   I have a love/hate relationship with Cabelas over some of these idiotic policies.   I remember once I found a Colt Lighting at one out in the Midwest somewhere made in 1902.  The clerk had no clue how to sell it to me on my C&R.  They took my money and said they would ship it free of charge, or mail me the money back if corporate said no.   They eventually shipped.   At the aforementioned Berlin store, they would not sell me a Win 92 on my C&R because someone had "refinished" the stock.

Ugh.

My local Cabela's has also done the trigger lock thing. Figure I don't need to go there anymore. Luckily there are at least 3 other fantastic gun stores in town that are all locally owned and operated, not some big chain store with pi$$ poor one size fits all unnecessary policies. 

Then go figure, I get a Cabela's gift card for Christmas. I hope they have some Star Line brass...

Not sure if it has anything to do with anything, but Bass Pro bought Cabelas a while back. They are now one in the same, even though Cabelas is keeping the name, for now.

Irish Tom

3 minutes ago, Irish Tom said:

Not sure if it has anything to do with anything, but Bass Pro bought Cabelas a while back. They are now one in the same, even though Cabelas is keeping the name, for now.

Irish Tom

I believe it is indeed a Bass Pro policy.

For what it's worth, the last time I bought firearms at Bass Pro, about 2009, there was none of that hand wringing extra super duper safety nonsense either. I got great customer service, excellent pricing, and a very pleasant overall experience.

Although they are the same company, I have noticed that Cabelas and Bass Pro STORES are very different, at least when it comes to the firearms department.  I have a feeling that they won't be making either store like the other, and just allow them both to continue as is.

WRT the trigger locks, it is true that some states, such as Massachusetts, require them on every gun.   As such, they may have created a company wide policy that every store requires them for the sake of simplicity.   That being said, a policy that disallows the store to take the lock off under supervision so the customer can verify proper operation of a used gun, that may cost over a thousand dollars, is very foolish.

Went to buy a Burgess shotgun at the Cabelas here in Grand Rapids MI a couple months ago and they would not remove the lock so I could further inspect. Was told it was corporate policy. Told them they lost a sale and put it back on the rack. Support your local gun store. 

25 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

...Support your local gun store. 

And right here is the answer.

:D

34 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Went to buy a Burgess shotgun at the Cabelas here in Grand Rapids MI a couple months ago and they would not remove the lock so I could further inspect. Was told it was corporate policy. Told them they lost a sale and put it back on the rack. Support your local gun store. 

Ohh....  "What's policy, Mr. Clerk?"

"All firearms must have a trigger lock."

"Ah, okay.  This was made before 1898, by federal law and definition, it's not a firearm.   Take the lock off."

Course, they'da prolly made you fill out 4478 if you did buy it.  

As recently as this past summer, the only guns "locked" at my local Cabelas (Kansas City, KS) were on the used racks, where customers could handle them without sales people. The "lock" was a thick zip tie. All guns in and behind the counter were not locked, but handling was under supervision of a sales person.

Is this policy since June or so of 2018? My wife & I will be up that way soon, so I'll have a look and report back.

If it was a gun I was really interested in and they refused to un-lock it, my next question would be what is the return policy. If they do warranty the gun once I purchased it and then I found a defect un-detectable while it was locked I would take it back and demand a refund. 

I suspect if enough folks did that they would find a better more customer friendly policy

or,,, they have to take it off at point of sale,,,, once it is off, function test it,,, if good, great, if it fails cancel the sale,,,   I bought from them last christmas, they said I had two weeks to bring it back if it needed repair to be fixed

Bought a pistol in the Phoenix Cabela's store prior to the holiday.  Would not allow me to check the action but did say there is a return policy which allows you to return it if you are not satisfied with the trigger since they put a lock on it.  Since the Bass Pro Shop merger they now charge a 1 percent fee on any purchases that are not made at Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop.on you Cabelas card.  Will be shopping elsewhere.   

• I went to Cabelas about three months ago with no problem. It is obvious that Bass Pro Has decided they are going to screw things up. I will no longer be using my Cabelas credit card. Any company that treats their customers that way can't stay in business long. My only fear is they don't care. Look at Dicks Sporting goods they pulled all their "BLACK GUNS" and their business is now losing money because they wanted to be so-called- politically correct.
  • :(

They have been generous doners to our annual shoot since they opened the store here, about 10 years ago or so.  This year they told us that policy has changed and no donations are given.

I haven't been thru the doors since and don't plan on going there any longer

2 minutes ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

I also live in Oregon and our local stores don't have trigger locks.  Bullett 19707

I was just in the Springfield Oregon Store yesterday. This is where it all happened. There are only two stores in Oregon. The manager told me this is Corporate policy.

2 hours ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

If it was a gun I was really interested in and they refused to un-lock it, my next question would be what is the return policy. If they do warranty the gun once I purchased it and then I found a defect un-detectable while it was locked I would take it back and demand a refund. 

I suspect if enough folks did that they would find a better more customer friendly policy

Bass Pro Shops in NH has trigger locks, and if I’m remembering correctly they don’t have a warranty on the firearms, but will ship it to the manufacturer for you if it’s in need of repairs. I’m personally not offended by the trigger locks. I can see reservations, about wanting to see the action, but I won’t be boycotting Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas like Dicks.  Bass Pro Shops is still very pro 2nd amendment. That being said... when.  You can support your local gun shop I recommend you do so. 

So if you're trying to decide between comparable Glock, Springfield or Smith&Wesson, you can't compare trigger pulls without buying all three?

Our Cabelas had a bunch of old Krags on the rack earlier this year in various condition from poor to ok. Under this policy we now can't cycle the bolt and feel the trigger?

Seems like a sure way to kill their entire gun business.

We have a Bass Pro and a Cabela's 5 minutes away from each other.  Last week I bought a pair of Pietta's 1873s from Cabela's with lowered hammers and 1860 grips for $399 each.  This is my second set of these.  The first pair I bought two years ago had no trigger locks, this new pair does.  One good thing about trigger locks on this set was that I had to buy the display to have a pair of these pistols and at least it hadn't been played with too much.

What I don't like about these Piettas are the transfer bars.  I will have them removed just like I did with my other set.

One thing I have noticed about our local Cabela's, since they were acquired by Bass Pro, is that their reloading section has shrunk and their prices on Federal primers has increased by $5 a brick.

4 hours ago, Irish Tom said:

Irish Tom

Bingo!  Cabelas is no longer Cabela's.  New Owner's bean counters and lawyers will suck everything out they can before closing Cabela's.

Our local Cabela's is looking more and more like a Bass Pro every time I go in.  Fishing stuff is beginning to take up more than it's share of the real estate in the store. They have taken away the military discount on all firearm related merchandise. They have cut the used guns by half. No more $199 specials either. I bought a cou[le of Winchesters 1897's and a like new TTN for $199 minus military discount and what ever points I had on my card.

I agree with the above. I am going to retire my Cabela's/Ass Pro card.

5 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

+10000 on your local gun store! There's 6 local gun shops within 10 miles of my house. There's also a bigger retailer across town about 20 miles that's a small chain store of about 4 stores. I never buy at Cabela's!!

Archived