SASS Wire Forum

How Men Shop

Subdeacon Joe

Also looks like the dude didn't bother to pay for his groceries ~ moseyed right past the check stands and out the door.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Also looks like the dude didn't bother to pay for his groceries ~ moseyed right past the check stands and out the door.  :rolleyes:

Because he didn't find anything to buy, and he was in a hurry to get to the gun store.

Men don't shop, we hunt.  Women shop.

Personally, I think it goes back to caveman days.  Back then, we were hunters and gatherers.  Men went out, found game animals, killed them and went home.  Women went out and searched for all the roots, berries, nuts and such that were edible.  Those are two completely different skill sets.  One takes focus on one thing while the other requires a broader focus on details.

Carry it forward to modern times and we shop the same way.

A man needs a new blue dress shirt.  He figures out what store will have men's dress shirts.  He goes there, goes to the men's department, finds the dress shirts, narrows it down to the blue ones, finds the style he wants (button down collar or not, long sleeve, short sleeve, material it's made from, ...), finds the right shade of blue, looks for his size, pays for it and goes home.  In-store time?  Maybe 15 minutes-  if there's a line at the check out.

He didn't go ' clothes shopping'.  He went clothes hunting.  He focused on the one thing he was looking for until it was 'dead', threw it over his shoulder and carried it home.

A woman needs a blue blouse.  She goes to the mall.  While there, she goes into EVERY woman's shop and department store and looks at EVERY rack even remotely associated with women's wear at least once and probably twice in some cases.  When she goes home, she's got 3 complete outfits, a new purse, a couple pairs of shoes and, maybe- if she remembered- a blue blouse.

In other words, she went 'gathering'.

17 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Bingo! On your whole post.

I agree wholeheartedly. 

Also, ever notice men when they are in a store and the wife / lady is shopping?

Young men go along with the wife for a period of time and eventually will go find something they are interested in and leave her to her own shopping. At some point, maybe not that day, but at some point there will be an argument about this. In some relationships there will be many.

Older men find an out of the way place in an aisle and wait for the wife. They have found that arguing is futile but know that life is easier if you just go along.

Now when it comes to me going to a gun store or a big sportman's (not sports, sportsman's) store, I leave my wife in the dust and do what I need to do....which resembles the diagram above.

On the rare occasion i make it to Wally World with my wife we part way's at the door.  I head strait to sporting good's or automotive and hang out till i think it's time ta leave.  When on the rare occasion she ride's along to the gun shop she bring's a book and stay's in the truck, unless she think's i'm going to make a larger than usual purchase.  Then she's on my side like a fly on a sticky strip.

Always thought when you entered the MALL.  You and your spouse were given matching cards.   You go the  mall bar give the bartender your card and wait for your spouse to crank up points on her card.   Might speed her up maybe not, but you won't care       GW

Lisa and I often use a "divide and conquer" method in department stores.   She will hit women's clothing, and the pharmacy sections,I'll hit the pet goods, kitchen, and hardware.  Or something like that.  Grocery store we usually stick together because while I go grocery shopping a few times a week, she only gets out for that maybe once a month.  This gives her a chance to find different things she might want to try and gives me a better idea of what to pick up.

Speaking of malls...

Ya'll ever notice that if there's a cluster of women's shops in one area of the mall, there's always some benches there, too?

Those ain't benches, they are 'husband holders'. 

Sort of like the arm chairs that used to be in the back of the women's stores near the changing rooms.

On 12/30/2018 at 1:12 PM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Personally, I think it goes back to caveman days.  Back then, we were hunters and gatherers.  Men went out, found game animals, killed them and went home.  Women went out and searched for all the roots, berries, nuts and such that were edible.  Those are two completely different skill sets.  One takes focus on one thing while the other requires a broader focus on details.

Carry it forward to modern times and we shop the same way.

A man needs a new blue dress shirt.  He figures out what store will have men's dress shirts.  He goes there, goes to the men's department, finds the dress shirts, narrows it down to the blue ones, finds the style he wants (button down collar or not, long sleeve, short sleeve, material it's made from, ...), finds the right shade of blue, looks for his size, pays for it and goes home.  In-store time?  Maybe 15 minutes-  if there's a line at the check out.

He didn't go ' clothes shopping'.  He went clothes hunting.  He focused on the one thing he was looking for until it was 'dead', threw it over his shoulder and carried it home.

A woman needs a blue blouse.  She goes to the mall.  While there, she goes into EVERY woman's shop and department store and looks at EVERY rack even remotely associated with women's wear at least once and probably twice in some cases.  When she goes home, she's got 3 complete outfits, a new purse, a couple pairs of shoes and, maybe- if she remembered- a blue blouse.

In other words, she went 'gathering'.

Boy, are you in trouble!  I read this to my wife and she said, "Ya know, that makes a lot of sense."   :D

Archived