SASS Wire Forum

They didn't string me up!

Doc Shapiro

I run a match for the Sloughhouse Irregulars.  We shoot on 5th weekend days.  Since we're shooting both days this weekend, I thought I'd try 2 very different matches.

Today was a shooting challenge.  Each stage had 5 targets from 5 yards to 20 yards.  Engage each target twice with pistols, engage each target twice with Rifle, knock over the shotgun targets (either 2 or 4).  Gun order is shooters choice.  Start at low surrender and make up a line.  Lots of misses, no P's.  Lots of smiles.  Folks seemed to really enjoy something completely out of the ordinary.  There were a TON of smiles, even with the misses.  Doing something new and unusual isn't a bad idea, especially in an area were folks can shoot every weekend.

Granted, I stole the idea from Steel Challenge. 

Tomorrow is a mix of up close and personal, plate racks, and movement.  Looking forward to the reaction.  Shooters will start at position of choice with gun(s) in both hands. 

Our next match isn't until March.  I've lots of time to work up some new ideas.

Frankly, I'm sorta surprised no one marched me off to the gallows today.  Don't be afraid to mix it up and bring some variety back.

12/30 Followup:

Another super fun match today!  4 stages of very close targets, simple scenarios, 1 stage with a bunch of knock downs, and 1 stage with close targets and downrange movement (10 targets, 5 on the right, 5 on the left, move downrange while engaging 1 shot on each with pistols).  12 shooters came out and 7 shot clean.  Tons of smiles.  Everyone really enjoyed the stage with downrange movement.

Doc

1 hour ago, Doc Shapiro said:

...a shooting challenge.  Each stage had 5 targets from 5 yards to 20 yards.  Engage each target twice with pistols, engage each target twice with Rifle...

Who are you and what have you done with the Doc Shapiro I used to know?

:lol:

Only kidding.  As a matter of fact, the Oak Ridge Outlaws can look forward to something very much like this in January.

1 hour ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I run a match for the Sloughhouse Irregulars.  We shoot on 5th weekend days.  Since we're shooting both days this weekend, I thought I'd try 2 very different matches.

Today was a shooting challenge.  Each stage had 5 targets from 5 yards to 20 yards.  Engage each target twice with pistols, engage each target twice with Rifle, knock over the shotgun targets (either 2 or 4).  Gun order is shooters choice.  Start at low surrender and make up a line.  Lots of misses, no P's.  Lots of smiles.  Folks seemed to really enjoy something completely out of the ordinary.  There were a TON of smiles, even with the misses.  Doing something new and unusual isn't a bad idea, especially in an area were folks can shoot every weekend.

Tomorrow is a mix of up close and personal, plate racks, and movement.  Looking forward to the reaction.  Shooters will start at position of choice with gun(s) in both hands. 

Frankly, I'm sorta surprised no one marched me off to the gallows today.  Don't be afraid to mix it up and bring some variety back.

Doc

Why don’t  you head south fer a couple of matches in January there’s some folks that could use some stage writing help, my opinion of course.

20 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

Who are you and what have you done with the Doc Shapiro I used to know?

:lol:

Only kidding.  As a matter of fact, the Oak Ridge Outlaws can look forward to something very much like this in January.

Give your bride a hug for me. We miss you both!

Some cowboys just came into the store and purchased 25 feet of 3/4 inch hemp rope.  Overheard them say " nobody can complain about being hung with a new rope".  Hope you don't have anything to worry about Doc. 

15 minutes ago, twelve mile REB said:

Some cowboys just came into the store and purchased 25 feet of 3/4 inch hemp rope.  Overheard them say " nobody can complain about being hung with a new rope".  Hope you don't have anything to worry about Doc. 

Considering you're in Utah, maybe they're after Wolf Wind Walker?  :-p

3 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

I wish I could have made that shoot. I really wanted to see what you had in store. Next time

Next time would be tomorrow!  After that, March.  In March, both Sat and Sunday, a complete 5th weekend.

48 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Considering you're in Utah, maybe they're after Wolf Wind Walker?  :-p

Doc:

Wolf went over to Practical a few years ago.  Sold his cowboy guns about a year ago.

While your stage sounds interesting, and I am surprised you weren’t lynched, it is tame compared to what Wolf puts together for the Practical guys.

Good luck tomorrow.  You need to post again tomorrow so we know your survived.

NN

13 minutes ago, Nasty Nels said:

Doc:

Wolf went over to Practical a few years ago.  Sold his cowboy guns about a year ago.

While your stage sounds interesting, and I am surprised you weren’t lynched, it is tame compared to what Wolf puts together for the Practical guys.

Good luck tomorrow.  You need to post again tomorrow so we know your survived.

NN

I didn’t know he sold the cowboy guns. Those other games are fun too though. I’ll post back tomorrow afternoon if they don’t put me in the gallows. 

It's a double edge sword but I'm glad it worked out for you. I like that kinda' stuff but IMHO it depends a lot on the club location and the shooters options. 

I "try" to put on the best match I can every month and try even harder to add things you don't see as often but still make it fun, not too complicate, low risk to overall times and still give the shooters a chance to be clean...….to do all that it's TOUGH...…..lol. 

But as I have explored that route our numbers have gone down. Is it our club isn't as "new" anymore, the location (many folks are driving a while to shoot here), or are they simply drive to the other clubs where they can shoot faster stages and not have to worry about tougher stages? 

imagesK1ST6VGM.jpg

After the end of our 2017 season we had a nice weekend where the range was available so we had a "fun match".  The concept was to set up targets and you could shoot any category on any scenario you wanted. We hadn't planed to keep time or scores.  Shoot as many stages as you wanted.  We had a good turnout considering the short notice.  When it was again explained we were not going to time or keep score,  we were met with protest. NO! We have to keep time and score.  Many shot the same guns and category they always have shot at least for most of the stages.  I think I shot every stage with some different style or equipment.   One of the strangest was a combination of Wild Bunch and Josey Wales using a 1911, 97 pump stoked and then shooting the rifle targets black powder gunfighter.   By then, they started to get with the program and borrow 1911s and stoke their 97s.  Everyone left happy! 

Those kinds of matches sound like fun to me.  

If'n they got you strung up Doc, I will part that twine with my trusty Winchester.

I edited the original post to add this:

12/30 followup: Another super fun match today!  4 stages of very close targets, simple scenarios, 1 stage with a bunch of knock downs, and 1 stage with close targets and downrange movement (10 targets, 5 on the right, 5 on the left, move downrange while engaging 1 shot on each with pistols).  12 shooters came out and 7 shot clean.  Tons of smiles.  Everyone really enjoyed the stage with downrange movement.

A really fun weekend with stages outside of the "norm".  Our next match is the 5th weekend in March.  I'm going to have to dig deep into my feeble brain to figure out the next 12 stages.

Doc

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, Doc Shapiro said:

12/30 Followup:

Another super fun match today!  4 stages of very close targets, simple scenarios, 1 stage with a bunch of knock downs, and 1 stage with close targets and downrange movement (10 targets, 5 on the right, 5 on the left, move downrange while engaging 1 shot on each with pistols).  12 shooters came out and 7 shot clean.  Tons of smiles.  Everyone really enjoyed the stage with downrange movement.

Doc

Well Doc---I was the observer yesterday at your match and noticed the smiles---enough so that afterwards decided that I would shoot SASS as well as Wild Bunch. I will shoot my first Wild Bunch in a couple weeks.    Today I purchased a pair of Revolvers, ordered my leather and am now looking for a shotgun.    I thought your format yesterday was awesome.   I look forward to participating with you guys!!!

36 minutes ago, Blackface Charlie said:

Well Doc---I was the observer yesterday at your match and noticed the smiles---enough so that afterwards decided that I would shoot SASS as well as Wild Bunch. I will shoot my first Wild Bunch in a couple weeks.    Today I purchased a pair of Revolvers, ordered my leather and am now looking for a shotgun.    I thought your format yesterday was awesome.   I look forward to participating with you guys!!!

Thanks!  There will be more to come.  Hope to see you at a match again soon.

Doc

Archived