SASS Wire Forum

“Iron Cowboy” fun

Hoss

We had our 2nd annual “Iron Cowboy” match today. Lots of fun!

stage 1: gunfighter. 

Stage 2: dualist

stage 3: 2 handed

stage 4: buckaroo (.410s & .22s)

stage 5: outlaw

stage 6: Wild bunch

It was a blast. Got a chance to try something new. Got laughed at for missing on the outlaw stage. Had fun with the 22 & 410. (I forget how much fun they can be to shoot!) 

Would not want to do it every month,  but once a year on a 5th Saturday match it’s a lot of fun. 

The shooters who preferred to  shoot their regular catagory they could do that as well. 

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

We had our 2nd annual “Iron Cowboy” match today. Lots of fun!

stage 1: gunfighter. 

Stage 2: dualist

stage 3: 2 handed

stage 4: buckaroo (.410s & .22s)

stage 5: outlaw

stage 6: Wild bunch

It was a blast. Got a chance to try something new. Got laughed at for missing on the outlaw stage. Had fun with the 22 & 410. (I forget how much fun they can be to shoot!) 

Would not want to do it every month,  but once a year on a 5th Saturday match it’s a lot of fun. 

The shooters who preferred to  shoot their regular catagory they could do that as well. 

I think it would be fun but I'd have to remember how to shoot 2-handed.

Randy

kewl!!

25 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I think it would be fun but I'd have to remember how to shoot 2-handed.

Randy

I think the dualist had more trouble shooting 2 handed than I did dualist’ 

I'm writing my first match. I think this would be cool. I would eliminate the buckaroo and do a "any style dump everything into one target" stage. One question though.

When I took my armed security class, we had one test where we had the pistol loaded with 5 rounds and shotgun with 5, we engaged the target with 2 shotgun rounds, held it down to our side, drew the pistol, one handed engaged the target until it was empty, reholstered it and re-engaged with the remaining shotgun rounds. I was thinking of something like that for cowboy but different. Start at port arms, engage 2 sg targets, hold the shotgun either barrel up or downrange, draw first pistol, engage pistol targets, reholster, engage remaining sg targets, make sg safe, engage pistol targets again, reholster. Move to rifle, engage rifle targets...

Thoughts?

The Texas Ten Horns do something similar.  We call it Renegade.  2 stages 2 handed, 2 stages duelist, and 2 stages gunfighter.  It’s usually offer most matches.

15 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

I'm writing my first match. I think this would be cool. I would eliminate the buckaroo and do a "any style dump everything into one target" stage. One question though.

When I took my armed security class, we had one test where we had the pistol loaded with 5 rounds and shotgun with 5, we engaged the target with 2 shotgun rounds, held it down to our side, drew the pistol, one handed engaged the target until it was empty, reholstered it and re-engaged with the remaining shotgun rounds. I was thinking of something like that for cowboy but different. Start at port arms, engage 2 sg targets, hold the shotgun either barrel up or downrange, draw first pistol, engage pistol targets, reholster, engage remaining sg targets, make sg safe, engage pistol targets again, reholster. Move to rifle, engage rifle targets...

Thoughts?

I’ve never seen that done, not sure I’d like it. Might be tough on a younger or new Shooter. 

Archived