SASS Wire Forum

Something About Subs

Subdeacon Joe

On 1/2/2019 at 1:00 PM, J.D. Daily said:

I remember seeing the Horse & Cow the many times I traveled I80 I Vallejo on my way to the family cabin in Lake County.  The place was rough looking; especially the sub on the roof.  It disappeared shortly after Mare Island NSY was closed.  The co. I worked for 34 years, 1978-2012 sold the CAT Diesel engine generators that powered the drydock cranes & one standby genset for the central plant. 

If you do a web search for Horse & Cow you will find that venue in Bremerton is under new ownership and that there is a Horse & Cow in Guam that is operated by the son of the original owner/operator.  The Horse & Cow in Bremerton was moved from the bar/club district; because, the city didn't appreciate the policing problems that surrounded the bar.  The article I read didn't say it but I bet their liquor and/or business licenses were threatened.  The city I lived in for years used that to closed down a biker bar/drug distribution center that predated the city's incorporation.

In 2017 I did a small project in Guam and visited the Horse and Cow. Lots of submarine memorabilia, but definitely a family friendly restaurant. 

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:17 PM, Chief Rick said:

An E-5 or even E-6 may be assigned "Mess Deck Master-at-arms".  That person is typically the supervisor for the sailors assigned to mess duty. I've also scene E-4s doing mess duty - sometimes twice. 

I don't know for sure because I only spent four years on a carrier as staff (we were totally separate from ship's company) but I don't think nukes go cranking. 

Chief Rick

I did about 8 months as Mess deck MAA. I was in Reactor Training division when I first got to the ship. About the time I was done with RT the previous sailor from Engineering was due to be done with his temporary duty as the Mess deck MAA. I got volunteered for what was supposed to be a 6 month rotation. We were going through ORSE (Operational Reactor Safeguards Exam) training so I got extended until it was over.

Archived