SASS Wire Forum

Chevy mechanics..... ?

Widder, SASS #59054

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s probably because he bought it for real cheap when somebody traded that garbage in for a real truck!!  :o :lol:

I drove a Ford for a while ‘til I could afford Ol’ Green!  Twenty years later, I can’t even remember where I scrapped the Ford!! :unsure:

46 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Have you ever wondered why a Chevy dealership mechanic drives a Toyota pickup truck?

..........Widder

Because the Toyota is still covered under warranty............:P

OLG

I was told Chevys don't ever need mechanics.

If'n I ever buy a truck again it'll be a ............;)

I saw a rather large working type van on the highway with the local Chevy dealer's name emblazoned on all sides.  "Guarantied 24 hour service on all of our sales."  The van was a Mercedes.

Got six Fords in my shop right now.  All but two have, or are receiving, Chevrolet drive trains, and one of the two is getting a full Corvette suspension!!  :lol:  B)

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Have you ever wondered why a Chevy dealership mechanic drives a Toyota pickup truck?

Well, if a Chevy breaks down and they send another Chevy to go pick up the parts and IT breaks down and they send another one to get the one that broke down...

Kind of a compounding problem... :mellow:

Well... at least the GM engineers were kind enough to put the distributor where you can get to the danged thing...   :rolleyes:

Oh... wait... that was back in the sixties...  ^_^

Well, I was a factory trained Toyota mechanic and I owned Chevrolet trucks. The reason is that Toyotas are mechanic  friendly. Drain plugs for everything and you don’t have to tear half the engine apart to do maintenance. Not to mention a Toyota will out last a Chevy.

2 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

98% of Ford trucks are still on the road. The other 2% could afford a tow truck.

not true i killed the 3 fords i had but my chevys/gmcs  just keep on going with minor maintaince

There are lots of things wrong with Chevrolet and the cars they make  but you will never find a more ubuquitous motor than the Small Block Chevrolet and they run like hell.

Imis

26 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

There are lots of things wrong with Chevrolet and the cars they make  but you will never find a more ubuquitous motor than the Small Block Chevrolet and they run like hell.

Imis

Their big blocks ain’t bad either!!

I have owned Chevrolets, Fords, Dodges, and Mazdas. I have never owned a Toyota. 

They all have their good points and their bad points.

I have swapped out engines and transmissions on Fords, Chevy's and Dodges.

I have never cussed more than when I swapped the engine out on my Chevy S10 ZR2 4x4.

But overall, my little Chevy has been the best truck I have ever owned.

By the way, Bottles, drinks all around...On me (put them on Widdetr's tab - he started this)

The old Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge "discussions" have always been entertaining and are even more entertaining when everyone is well lubricated. ;) :lol:

2 minutes ago, Snake River Clay SASS #34984 said:

Fast 

O

Race 

Day

Actually, F O R D is a reversed acronym!!  It stands for Driver Returns On Foot!!!  :lol: :o

Father sold Fords for over 40 years. Solid Ford man myself, until. Had a 2000 Ranger I bought in November of 99, got rid of it in 2008 just shy of 400K. Bought a new F150 in January of 2008, just junked it at 385K. Bought a new Ram 1500 because Ford was too damn proud to deal. So far with 6800 miles I'm pretty happy with it. Especially the HP upgrade from the V6 in the Ford to the 5.7ltr Hemi and 8 speed transmission.

Found On Road Dead

Ol' Green is sitting in the shop driveway with 384,000+ miles and three tons of gravel on it this morning!!  Folks around here are wondering if I'm babying it little lately!!:rolleyes:

My wife loves her Toyota 4 Runner.  It is not the most maintenance friendly vehicle.  I changed the plugs and had to about tear the top of the engine off.  Lots of covers and crap to move and the plugs are set way deep in the heads.  The oil filter is on the top of the engine but she won't let me change the oil.  It gives her a reason to go shopping as she can get an oil change without an appointment, then hit the big department stores.   I am partial to Chevys/GMCs.  It is hard to screw up that short block and there are a gazillion aftermarket upgrades for them.  I've got two diesels in the shed.  One for plowing snow and the other for towing.  The disadvantage of the diesels are the need for two batteries.  It takes a lot of juice to crank them over.  There is just something sexy about the rumble of an 8 cylinder engine.  A big throaty roar.  A 6 cylinder sounds a bit anemic and a 4 cylinder, bless its heart, sounds sickly.  When you need to get up and go, you don't want to wait for you engine to decide if it can or not.

25 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

My wife loves her Toyota 4 Runner.  It is not the most maintenance friendly vehicle.  I changed the plugs and had to about tear the top of the engine off.  Lots of covers and crap to move and the plugs are set way deep in the heads.  The oil filter is on the top of the engine but she won't let me change the oil.  It gives her a reason to go shopping as she can get an oil change without an appointment, then hit the big department stores.   I am partial to Chevys/GMCs.  It is hard to screw up that short block and there are a gazillion aftermarket upgrades for them.  I've got two diesels in the shed.  One for plowing snow and the other for towing.  The disadvantage of the diesels are the need for two batteries.  It takes a lot of juice to crank them over.  There is just something sexy about the rumble of an 8 cylinder engine.  A big throaty roar.  A 6 cylinder sounds a bit anemic and a 4 cylinder, bless its heart, sounds sickly.  When you need to get up and go, you don't want to wait for you engine to decide if it can or not.

Exactly.  When I crank my 2018 Camaro SS up it brings a smile to my lips every time.  All you Chevy haters feel free to line your Ford/Toyota/Dodge/whatever up next to mine and we'll see who crosses the finish line first.  Big hint, you'll need to pay careful attention because you'll only see the rear end of my Camaro for a moment then it will be long gone.^_^

On 12/30/2018 at 2:11 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Well... at least the GM engineers were kind enough to put the distributor where you can get to the danged thing...   :rolleyes:

Oh... wait... that was back in the sixties...  ^_^

Spark ignited engines haven't had distributors for at least 20 years.  A distributor is an electromechanical device & costs more to manufacture than eight ignition transformers & the electronics to power the transformer primaries.  Distributorless ignition systems also provide high secondary voltage.  The best design is that used by BMW where the transformer secondary high side terminal is a plug connector.  Thus eliminating plug wires which deteriorate due to exposure to high temperature & high voltage. 

On 12/29/2018 at 2:44 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

It’s probably because he bought it for real cheap when somebody traded that garbage in for a real truck!!  :o :lol:

I drove a Ford for a while ‘til I could afford Ol’ Green!  Twenty years later, I can’t even remember where I scrapped the Ford!! :unsure:

If your GM truck is 20 years old and you haven't replaced the automatic transmission it must be low mileage.  There was a reason GM advertised "Allison" transmissions starting in same year that they replaced the GM naturally aspirated diesel engine with an Isuzu designed common rail FI turbo diesel.  

Tidbits...

FORD = For Off Road Driving,   Fastest On Race Day,   Found On Road Dead

CHEVROLET = Can Have Every Valve Rattling On Long Extended Trips,   Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Techniques (I like this one)

DODGE = Dead On Day Guarantee Expires,   Drips Oil & Drops Grease Everywhere,   Driving Offroad Dodge Gets Excited

I went to a Toyota dealer once and while I stood in the lot listening to a salesman blather on about the superiority of Toyota trucks and funny thought popped into my head. 

I asked the salesman "Where are the real Otas?"

He looked puzzled and said "What?"

I repeated "Where are the real Otas?"

Still looking puzzled he said "I have no idea what you're talking about."

I said "Well, these are the Toy-Otas and according to you they are awesome. I want to know where the Real-Otas are because they have to be even better." 

He mumbled something about me being a particular body part and walked away.

Well, I thought it was funny. :lol:

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Tidbits...

FORD = For Off Road Driving,   Fastest On Race Day,   Found On Road Dead

CHEVROLET = Can Have Every Valve Rattling On Long Extended Trips,   Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Techniques (I like this one)

DODGE = Dead On Day Guarantee Expires,   Drips Oil & Drops Grease Everywhere,   Driving Offroad Dodge Gets Excited

TOYOTA = Too Often Yankees Overprice This Auto

And for the Ford lovers, we feel your pain...

61ivE1nKvbL._SY679_.jpg

14 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Imis

Jeep's old inline 6 was/is pretty good. It started out in the late 50s, and lasted until 2006 in one form or another. 

12 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Exactly.  When I crank my 2018 Camaro SS up it brings a smile to my lips every time.  All you Chevy haters feel free to line your Ford/Toyota/Dodge/whatever up next to mine and we'll see who crosses the finish line first.  Big hint, you'll need to pay careful attention because you'll only see the rear end of my Camaro for a moment then it will be long gone.^_^

There's an old saying that Jeepers have: You might be able to go fast, but I can go anywhere!

12 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

There's an old saying that Jeepers have: You might be able to go fast, but I can go anywhere!

Back in high school I shut up another kid who said he wanted to race me after school. I had a Chevy S-10 4x4 and he had some sort of lowered Honda. I told him I accepted as long as I got to choose where to race. When he agreed I said whoever made it to the top of the Mt. Pilchuck forest access road first wins.

I'm still waiting for him to take me up on that bet!

fseprd572738.jpg

13 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

If your GM truck is 20 years old and you haven't replaced the automatic transmission it must be low mileage.  There was a reason GM advertised "Allison" transmissions starting in same year that they replaced the GM naturally aspirated diesel engine with an Isuzu designed common rail FI turbo diesel.  

Actually, I finally had the transmission repaired last year, at 381,000 miles!!  It is a 1997 3500 HD with the Vortec 454 with the 4L80E transmission and the 14 bolt Dually rear end.  I broke the torque converter pulling a friends house trailer out into the woods, (busted the torque converter clutch) and it quit locking up. Replaced the converter and put a fresh pump and a paper and rubber kit in while we had the transmission out.  Ol’ Green has been far and fast!!

By the way!! The 4L80E is one of the most durable automatics in the industry!  I worked in that particular industry for over 15 years and I would rather have the 4L80E than the Allison in a big pickup anytime except perhaps behind a diesel.  And I wouldn’t have a diesel if ya melted it down and poured it on me!!  I just don’t like ‘em!!

Archived