SASS Wire Forum

Which comes first?

Grizzly Dave

The cowboy guns in a new to you caliber, OR, the reloading gear to reload for that caliber?

With my fun fund infused with a little Christmas cash, I'm thinking I want some 45 colt irons, but naturally my fun fund isn't  enough to buy even the irons I want, much less the reloading gear as well.  But, I could swing the reloading stuff now with enough left for seed to buy the irons...

And as with any fun fund, if it sits too long, some household 'emergency' will crop up and the fund will evaporate...

Just thinking out loud.

Happy New Year all.

Buy the irons first, other wise the reloading gear will sit gathering dust and you'll end up selling the reloading gear for money in a pinch.

If I were you I would buy the loading gear that I need for the caliber I am presently shooting.  This will save you money on ammo and possibly enough in the long run to buy the 45 loading dies and one or more 45 pistiols.

I typically buy the loading gear first so that I can have bullets ready to go when I get the firearm. The one time I didn’t, the reloading gear I wanted was out of stock and I had to wait. Granted that was in 38-40. Shouldn’t be an issue in 45 colt

Ruger Old Armies (there is a pair for sale not far from you) and then buy  conversion cylinders .45 Colt, there you go.

29 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Wait and buy the guns, in your search for guns you may have a change of heart!

I doubt it, he's wanted to be Classic Cowboy for as long as I've known of him.

buy the guns... I might even have an extra set of 45 Colt dies... send pics of guns... and I'll look thru my dies and see what I've got extra... beyond the two full sets I use... might be enough left over for another set.

Being somewhat a back-ackwards sort of critter, when getting a new caliber I have always bought 1 box of ammo for it first. Then sat and stared at it, took the ammo out of the box and put it back in until I couldn't stand it any more and then went out & bought the gun. Another set of dies is cheap !

:o  :D

If you really have the urge, I’ll send you a mismatched set of new vaqueros, 45 colt, 5.5 inch barrells, stainless steel, and a set of rcbs 45 colt cowboy dies for 1300 shipped. Send me an email for pics.both revolvers are new, unfired, with boxes and papers. One wood grip, one black plastic.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Both... At the same time...duh!

That’s usually what I do. I get them both in at the same time, then load up as much ammo as I can during that dreaded 10 day wait 

Guns first. Worst case scenario, if you can't find the dies after you get the guns, someone will either have a set or will reload some for you until you find a set.

I always buy the gun in a new caliber first, then the “cheaper to reload” line comes out of my mouth to rationalize buying the reloading equipment, brass, bullets, primers, cartridge boxes and most likely another gun in the new caliber.

"And as with any fun fund, if it sits too long, some household 'emergency' will crop up and the fund will evaporate..."

Ain't that the truth.

Sawmill Mary has for some unknown reason had a hankering for the 44WCF.   I bet a half dozen times she's dulled over them when she's found them.  I'd tell her we don't have dies, brass, etc for the 44WCF.   Well, I finally got a 44WCF and geared up to load it.  There went that excuse.  Now she shoots 44WCF rifle and pistols.  I've since added 38WCF.   It's getting pretty crowded around the Dillon 550b.  

Does it have to either/or? I’d sock the money away and buy the gun(s). Dies & shell plate don’t amount to much as part of the overall purchase so it ought to be at the same time. If you can’t afford the big item just yet, the other component is irrelevant. 

You gonna be be at a Kansas or Oklahoma shoot in 2019?

6 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Does it have to either/or? I’d sock the money away and buy the gun(s). Dies & shell plate don’t amount to much as part of the overall purchase so it ought to be at the same time. If you can’t afford the big item just yet, the other component is irrelevant. 

You gonna be be at a Kansas or Oklahoma shoot in 2019?

Hoping to make Dawg's match, and will be going to Nebraska state at Stirrup Trouble's club, and my home club annual the Shootout at Pawnee Station.  But other than that will likely stick close to home and just do monthlies.

12 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Hoping to make Dawg's match, and will be going to Nebraska state at Stirrup Trouble's club, and my home club annual the Shootout at Pawnee Station.  But other than that will likely stick close to home and just do monthlies.

Cool! See you at Chapman!

11 minutes ago, Bulldog Brown said:

Grizzly: Glad to hear your coming to Chapman. Are you going to shoot CC? If you need I have a 45lc rifle and ammo you can sure use. See you there Bulldog

Not just yet for CC by then.  But eventually I will shoot it now and again.  I like variety.  Thanks for the offer though.

Archived