SASS Wire Forum

Why Mechanics lock up their tools

Sedalia Dave

I don’t understand people. If I’m forced to borrow something, and it really has to be a desperate need, I always return it asap in a condition at least as good as when I borrowed it or better. If I break it, I’ll return a brand new one.

That’s how I was raised.

I have one friend who I would gladly loan anything I own. He was raised the same as me I guess.

We loaned our kayaks to newlyweds last year for the day. They were returned with mud on the inside, and, they took their dog who scratched up a seat. They still stop by and mention how they would sure love to go kayaking. I referred them to the Bass Pro nearby where they were on sale. He replied, "But you're not using them now." Apparently if you are not actually using an item that you own, it is instantly community property. I told them our niece and her husband were taking them for the summer to Michigan. Shortcake later asked what if they came back and saw the kayaks still here? I said "don't you think it's a little crazy that we have to lie to keep stuff we already own?" Hard to argue with that. They have been back and seen the kayaks but say nothing.

Thirty years ago when I first moved here, I borrowed a small rototiller from a co-worker every spring for 3 years. I returned it cleaned and waxed with a full tank. I always cleaned it up in front of the kids so they picked up on the lesson of how to return things you borrow. The guy I borrowed it from told me he actually looked forward to me using it because it looked great when I returned it. A win-win.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:57 PM, Wild Will Bartell said:

True story,

My workbench was in the gun cleaning room, in an area offset by one of the long cleaning benches. This is where I would make repairs to the various firearms in service within our Department. I had a medium sized Craftsman tool box, with various specialty tools I needed to effect various repairs. A common repair was to replace one of the 1.5 mm roll pins that held the right side safety lever in place on our Beretta 9's. Very simply, use a 4 oz. ball peen hammer, a pin vise to start the pin, then the correct 1.5mm roll pin punch to tap it the rest of the way in. Easy. We had one fella who fancied himself a gunsmith, and paid his way to the Beretta Armorer's course. He is built like a tank, has hands the size of Christmas hams and fingers like bratwursts. One day he decided to help me out by making this simple repair. There was no 4 oz. ball peen hammer or pin vise involved. He gingerly placed the pin in the hole, picked up the 1.5 mm roll pin punch, and proceeded to drive it home with.... a lead babbit. A short time later, I went to my bench and saw what was left of my punch; it looked like Beetle Baily did when the Sarge got done beating up on him.

Needless to say, I locked all my tools in my tool box from that point forward.

Roll pin starter punches are better than a pin vise for starting pins.  I like you used a pin vise for this purpose until I built my 1st AR lower.  I reviewed Brownells build doc's & viewed their videos which recommend pin starter punches. 

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:38 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Bought it from an old farmer back in '91... named it "Rocinante."   ^_^

Smokes, but still runs strong.  The Kid wants to overhaul and paint her this summer.  :)

2007, Sassparilla Kid, age 15

2114995310_RyandRocinanteResized.JPG.71f69a953510d7b508d51a9a0224ff1a.JPG

Dear Uncle Curmudgeon,

What, pray tell, is this griller thing of which you speak ?

………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. ps mine appears to be bigger than yours.

WIN_20190105_14_47_49_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190105_14_47_33_Pro.jpg

I keep my tools locked up because they have a tendency to wander off!!  

If they don't wander off, they get into trouble!!  

They just ain't trustworthy!!  You turn your back and they do stuff like THIS!!!

IMG_1078.JPG

:ph34r::lol:

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Follow up...

I was taught that if you borrow a firearm, you return it clean with a new box of ammunition.  If I borrowed a vehicle I was to return it washed with a full tank of gas.  

Did anyone else get that training?

I had to borrow a girlfriend's truck one time.  I remember I gave it back to her with an oil change and lube.

9 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

WIN_20190105_14_47_49_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190105_14_47_33_Pro.jpg

Mine's smaller, but she's older and wiser...  cowboy.gif

Archived