for the best action job

Bob James, Phoenix Arizona gets my vote

Samuel B

That’s who I’d use also.

2 hours ago, Samuel B Carpenter said:

for the best action job

Bob James, Phoenix Arizona gets my vote

Samuel B

Bob is great and has done a couple of mine, but in my opinion he’s second only to Jim Martin, also out of Arizona. Jim literally heloed write the book (Kuhnhausen manual) on Colt gunsmithing. He’s been working on Colts for only 62 years. He used to do grips as well but not anymore. Unless you ask him really nicely. 

The biggest noticeable difference between Bob and Jim is that Jim uses a superior industries lightened mainspring  and tunes the bolt spring. Bob thins the factory main spring and uses a wire bolt spring. I’m not a big fan of the mushy way the wire spring feels. Both are excellent at what they do and you can’t go wrong with either. 

I live in New England, so the 2 times that I had to have some work done to two different of my Colts, I just drove to Hartford and had the work done at the factory.   An action job on a second generation and some repair work to a 3rd.    The price for the action job was very reasonable, less than 100 if I recall correctly, and the repair work on the 3rd was FREE.

Turn around was just a couple of weeks in both cases.

I do know they still sell real and imitation Ivory, but a pretty penny.   If you wanna go that route, I don't think you can go wrong.

ME!!  But ..... I retired so I'll go with Jim Martin.  Or ..... Eddie Janis.  And Bob James.  Those three are the best in the business.  They May well not fit grips though.

I had Bob Munden slick up a pair of Colt SAA’s for me one time and it was almost orgasmic to work them pistols. Sadly Bob ain’t  around anymore so the other Bob (Bob James) is the one I’d have slick up my Colts if I ever get any Colts again. Regrettably in a moment of weakness I sold those two Colts and I’ve never felt quite the same since.

14 minutes ago, Roanoke Rifleman, SASS #30256 said:

Do you know If Lassiter has a web sight.

He does not. But Lassiter has been a Colt guy his whole life both as a fastdraw world champ and CAS shooter. He’d get my business. 

I had Bob Munden do an action job on two of my Colt 45s at EOT in 2002. They have been spectacular since then; no problems with either. 

Cheers   Hoss C.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:37 PM, Yul Lose said:

I had Bob Munden slick up a pair of Colt SAA’s for me one time and it was almost orgasmic to work them pistols. Sadly Bob ain’t  around anymore so the other Bob (Bob James) is the one I’d have slick up my Colts if I ever get any Colts again. Regrettably in a moment of weakness I sold those two Colts and I’ve never felt quite the same since.

Never had Bob Munden work on any of my Colts.  But he did have an excellent reputation.  I understand he had an understudy.  Gent by the name of Jeff Ault who picked up the work after Bob passed.

7 minutes ago, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

Never had Bob Munden work on any of my Colts.  But he did have an excellent reputation.  I understand he had an understudy.  Gent by the name of Jeff Ault who picked up the work after Bob passed.

Bob and his wife brought Jeff with them to EOT a couple of times before Bob passed away, I believe. 

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Bob and his wife brought Jeff with them to EOT a couple of times before Bob passed away, I believe. 

I met Bob and his wife at the Convention back in 2003.  Watched his performance and got to talk with him later.    Never met Jeff, I don't think.

I can recommend Jim Alaimo of Nutmeg Sports.  Jim only works on Colts, and hie ivory grips are just

fantastic!

http://www.nutmegsports.com/

If you look at the "Grips" page and scroll down to picture 110 you'll see the grips Jim made for my Ruger's.

Good luck.

Dirty Harry 

+1 on Nutmeg Sport.  Grips & Action Job for about $600 as shown on their web site.  My guns are example 27.  Were about $2k each, lvory grips, engraved, refinished, &a full action job.  Action is as smooth or smoother than my Jimmy Spurs Rugers. All Colt parts no coil or wire springs.

Bob James fantastic work on Colts and great turn-a-round.. Performed action jobs on all my pistols and stands behind his workmanship.

Jim Martin been around long time and also performs excellent work. 

The above are two great shooters and also  performed  in Fast Draw competition.

Both of these two individuals old Cowtown members and  Jim Martin helped Ron Nix in the making of Cowtown, Arizona.

Happy New Year Cowboys and Cowgirls.

JRJ

On 12/30/2018 at 8:26 AM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Lassiter has no web site, but you can reach him at lassiter45@aol.com or 937 687 1039.

If you want to get in touch with Lassiter a phone call is gonna be your best bet.  Don't think you could do much better than his work.  He's done all my gun's and let's just say he seem's to just have a nack with about anything that goes bang.

Archived