SASS Wire Forum

What gun are you best with?

Boomstick Bruce

When I started CAS two years ago, the shotgun was my weak point. I practiced and practiced and practiced some more and now I'm fastest with the sxs. Don't get me wrong, I'm better with my pistols and rifle than I was but now I'm best with the shotgun. I can get 10 rounds out of it faster than the pistols or rifle.

What are you fastest with?

7 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

When I started CAS two years ago, the shotgun was my weak point. I practiced and practiced and practiced some more and now I'm fastest with the sxs. Don't get me wrong, I'm better with my pistols and rifle than I was but now I'm best with the shotgun. I can get 10 rounds out of it faster than the pistols or rifle.

You can shoot 10 rounds out of the shotgun faster than the rifle or pistol? 

20 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I can. With this. ;)

3 gun.jpg

To the OP... it varies with me. Some days are better than others with any of the cowboy guns we use. Mostly its a guess as that what will work the best. Since I rarely practice it's always a crap-shoot, so to speak.

If that’s the case you need to practice a whole lot more with your rifle and pistol.:blink:

Boomstick,

You must be pretty good with the SxS if you're faster with it than the rifle or pistols.

Whats your times..... splits and pickups?

Like you, my weakness was shotgun...the 97.

Sounds like you're doing well.

..........Widder

32 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Yup, I worry too much about missing with the pistols and rifle so I take more time aiming. I know I'll never win a match, especially with the guns I shoot, so my goal is clean matches. 

If you look at our times from 1st shot to last shot, probably a good many of us

are quicker with the SG, especially on only 4 targets.

For me, with only 4 KD's, I give the edge to the SG.

With 6 KD's,  The SG or rifle might have a slight edge over the pistols.

..........Widder

40 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Boomstick,

You must be pretty good with the SxS if you're faster with it than the rifle or pistols.

Whats your times..... splits and pickups?

Like you, my weakness was shotgun...the 97.

Sounds like you're doing well.

..........Widder

Well you certainly fixed that problem. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Well you certainly fixed that problem. 

Good techniques and advice from a couple good pards..... and lots of practice using their advice.

;)

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Like you, when I started, my shotgun was my weakest gun. I spent a fair amount of time working with it and it became my most competitive gun. I’d say now days I’m pretty balanced, but rifle is probably weakest. 

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I evaluate how I’m doing by comparing my times to Fast Eddie or Blackhawk Henry since I shoot with them pretty regularly.  They’re both faster than me with all the guns but the gap is narrowest with the rifle.

And if your evaluations run close to Henry and Eddie then you be doing just fine.

It is often said that one can win or loose with shotgun and I believe there is much truth to that statement to some extent.  I love shooting double, practice it a lot,  and fare very well with it often in speed SG, however although not considered extremely fast with rifle or revolvers (duelist), I would NOT say I am faster with shotgun.  Let's say 10 in 10 would be very nice run for double, but I would hope for better than 10 in 10 with rifle or revolver.  Just my thoughts..

10 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

And if your evaluations run close to Henry and Eddie then you be doing just fine.

If I’m within 2 seconds of Eddie and 3 of Blackhawk I’m doing fairly well. I pretty much hang around and try not to make any mistakes so if they do I have a chance to slip by them.  Of course then you have Potshot Parker or Silver City Rebel to deal with and they rarely make mistakes.

What gun are you fastest with?

"Ma deuce."  Settles arguments in the field as fast as possible.

1542097426_madeuce.jpg.0f34930aa8c80fe22882292f51ad78cd.jpg

Good luck, GJ

Best with pistols.  Rifle next.  Then shotgun.  Like Gateway Kid once said, you have to practice with cases on shells to get good with the shotgun.  I will get there some day.  I was at one time better with the rifle.  Will get it back.  Working at it.

I was thinkin' I was decent with my rifle :) Until I saw Duece do it :unsure:

I was thinkin' I was decent with my pistols :) Until I saw Duece do it :huh:

I was thinkin' I was decent with my SxS :) Until I saw Duece do it :rolleyes:

A feller has to have somethin' to compare himself to.. :mellow:

and I can double Duece's stage times purty darn easy :D:unsure:

Rance ;)

Just my thinkin' :rolleyes:

Rifle. Then shotgun but occasionally I have a good run with shotgun that gives me hope. I think I should use my pistols to hammer fence nails instead of shooting.

Fastest with my '73 rifle...But pistols and shotgun (now that I have a  Stoeger, instead of a hammered SxS) are pretty equal to each other, just not as fast as rifle.

Fairly decent with them all, which is faster depends an the sweep and target placement.  I can however have either a great or horrific run with any of them at any time, even halfway thru a string.

Archived