SASS Wire Forum

Jacking out live rounds

JohnWesleyHardin

30 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

How does that happen if the lever safety is present and functioning properly?

Inertia usually is the reason for those "light" hits.

I have seen it in a couple of  instances where the hammer sear was not holding and the hammer was actually not staying cocked. When you did cock it you could give the hammer a push without pulling the trigger and it would fall. The owner had never thought about pushing on the hammer to see if it held so he had no idea it was messed up and he was jacking rounds out left and right. Once we fixed the sear he stopped jacking rounds.

You're right though that a properly functioning rifle should not have the hammer ride down with the bolt.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I have seen it in a couple of  instances where the hammer sear was not holding and the hammer was actually not staying cocked. When you did cock it you could give the hammer a push without pulling the trigger and it would fall. The owner had never thought about pushing on the hammer to see if it held so he had no idea it was messed up and he was jacking rounds out left and right. Once we fixed the sear he stopped jacking rounds.

Yes, poor sear engagement can happen...

One of drills I use when this happens is to spread two targets approx. 8 ft apart.  Practice lever, trigger move lever trigger, move lever trigger etc for ten rounds.  Then double tap using the same concept lever, trigger lever trigger move and keep repeating for 5 double taps..  Then move the targets in 2 ft and repeat,  double tap for 5 sets repeating lever trigger and move in another 2 yard till they are 2 yards apart.  After successful completion work on 5 shots on one target and 5 on the second target.  This was given to me by Palo Verde and has been very successful.  In seven years of shooting, jacking out rounds has not been my gunsmiths problem.  Not saying it cannot be, but has not been the case for my family.

First I am pulling tiger BUT the lever is not all the way up and immediately start levering. Second, have a brain fart hesitating to shoot mind is thanking but fingers thank i have shoot.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, Doc Shapiro said:

Most likely this - make sure you're getting the trigger pulled.

Only other thing, which was already mentioned, is that your hammer spring is too light.  I've watched video of folks where they pull the trigger, hammer starts to fall, and they open the lever before the hammer has completed the motion - causing the round to be jacked out.  Lock time on these guns is not short.

Personal Pet peeve: light mainsprings.

Thanks Doc that's what I was alluding to...but all I heard was crickets...…..lol. If you have splits in say the .25 range or say with rifle in hand you are shooting 4 seconds or greater it's "probably" operator error. 

That said I have shot a perfectly good rifle with a lever safety in it that this shooters sets up to barely set off Winchester primers. It works flawlessly for him partly because his style leaves the lever closed longer and he's not quiet as fast as I am with the splits but he is a sub 3 sec rifle guy all day long. 

When I shot his rifle the hammer couldn't fall before I opened the rifle. If you have a lever safety and light strikes (not the little dent form the momentum of the firing pin hitting the primer) that means the hammer is too slow. 

For that to happen you have to be shooting well below .2 splits and have a rifle that will only shoot soft primers but it can happen if you shoot .14 - .16 splits,  have a slow hammer and slam fire the rifle. 

Archived