SASS Wire Forum

Jacking out live rounds

JohnWesleyHardin

My thought is either pulling trigger before lever is closed or not throwing the lever completely forward.  I am not sure what to focus on to fix it.  It goes away if I slow down.

Yes, right or wrong, when I shoot, I don't consciously pull the trigger.  It is triggered as I close the lever.  I just have always shot that way.  The jacking shell problem only surfaces when I really am pushing for speed 

your timing is slightly off at times,,, the faster you go the higher the concentration needed,,,,

lever, trigger lever trigger, not lever lever

seriously

Try to concentrate on engagingvthe trigger sooner and a bit harder. If it’s not been done, you can have the trigger worked over to eliminate the flop and that will likely help a great deal. When the trigger flops as they do from the factory, you may sometimes feel the trigger move and think you pulled it when in fact you didn’t. 

I usually only do it when i say i haven't done it for awhile.  For me it's a mental thing.  slow down just a touch and,  practice, practice, practice till it's second nature.  After all it's muscle memory, and don't think about doing it when ya pick the rifle up to shoot a string.

It's nothing new,...happens to most of us at some stage.

In my early years when I was practicing to get faster and faster.. :rolleyes:

I kept lightening the hammer spring to make it easier to cycle.. :huh:

I too started jacking out rounds.. :o

and Yes.. If I slowed down I didn't jack any out..

A feller named Spur told me I could be out running the hammer fall.. :unsure:

By backing off the hammer spring I created a slower hammer fall :huh:

I then started tightening the hammer spring until it went away.. :rolleyes:

Rance ;)

Thinkin' that was MY situation  :huh:

Rum Crook has the same idea..

Have to agree with the majority for the most of the time.  Rance has a point that I believe has to be recognized.  Too light spring on hammer slowing the hammer fall.   I was jacking rounds out a couple of years ago, a friend told me to change the upper trigger on my 73..  Said whenever he or his daughter start jacking out rounds, Changing the upper trigger worked.   I had been jacking up my hammer spring because I thought I was bumping the trigger and not feeling it ( have a numb trigger finger since an accident several years ago)    Followed his advice and problem went away in MY case..   Got to lower spring pressure again     Most of the time it"s in my head rattling around.      GW

Practicing dumps is a great idea for both the rifle & the pistols as part of every practice session. And, many have said the same thing above in many different ways. Even when you're trying to go fast, your focus should be more on every pull of the trigger & not putting it on a fast "cruise control". And, whether it's the first run in a practice session or the first stage of a match, it's never a good idea (for me anyway) to try to go 100%+. I've found if I think 80% on the first stage, often my muscle memory will pick up the pace for me.

My initial inquiry was what actually mechanically happens that makes me jack the round so I can focus on avoiding it.  It appears the consensus is that I simply don't get the trigger pulled?

48 minutes ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

My initial inquiry was what actually mechanically happens that makes me jack the round so I can focus on avoiding it.  It appears the consensus is that I simply don't get the trigger pulled?

Yep, your timing is slightly off.  You are starting to open the lever and action slightly before you get the trigger to let off.  The lever safety then blocks the trigger from completing any more motion toward let off within about the first  1/2 inch of movement of the lever forward.  It takes real attention to getting trigger-then-lever ALWAYS in that order, especially as you start to run sub 4 seconds for 10 shot strings.

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

Most likely this - make sure you're getting the trigger pulled.

Only other thing, which was already mentioned, is that your hammer spring is too light.  I've watched video of folks where they pull the trigger, hammer starts to fall, and they open the lever before the hammer has completed the motion - causing the round to be jacked out.  Lock time on these guns is not short.

Personal Pet peeve: light mainsprings.

As stated previously, some rounds will have light primer strikes. That means you're opening the rifle before the firing pin has moved all the way forward. 

Running the rifle as fast as possible works for the speed rifle side match or stand and deliver stages. On most scenarios there are other ways of making up a few fractions of a second rather than running the guns as fast as possible and having a potential jacked round which could cost you a match. There's a fine line between running guns really fast and recklessly fast. Once you've jacked out a rifle round, had to reshoot a SG target, or bobbled anything you've moved back in the pack.

21 hours ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

When I am running my rifle as fast as possible, I will sometimes jack out a live round.  What mechanically causes this to happen?  

I do that occasionally with both of my rifles, I'm pretty sure the problem is a loose nut behind the trigger!:P

Randy

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

As stated previously, some rounds will have light primer strikes. That means you're opening the rifle before the firing pin has moved all the way forward. 

Running the rifle as fast as possible works for the speed rifle side match or stand and deliver stages. On most scenarios there are other ways of making up a few fractions of a second rather than running the guns as fast as possible and having a potential jacked round which could cost you a match. There's a fine line between running guns really fast and recklessly fast. Once you've jacked out a rifle round, had to reshoot a SG target, or bobbled anything you've moved back in the pack.

I believe light hit marks are more likely the quick rearward movement of the bolt causes the firing to lightly engage the primer,,, or both or either

2 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

I believe light hit marks are more likely the quick rearward movement of the bolt causes the firing to lightly engage the primer,,, or both or either

Yep

15 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

How about hammer following the bolt down?       GW

3 hours ago, G W Wade said:

How about hammer following the bolt down?       GW

How does that happen if the lever safety is present and functioning properly?

Inertia usually is the reason for those "light" hits.

Archived