SASS Wire Forum

Full Pistol Reload

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Never seen a match where this was required; a full reload of one of your pistols.   I've read here that it used to be semi-common "way back when."

Just for the sake of wondering, what do people think of the idea?   I'd be especially interested to see the opinions of those who've never done it verses those who have to see if there is any difference based on experience.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if you were out on the range with only pistols and a band of bad guys was giving you trouble, more than likely you would have to reload your pistols. I am sure the faster you did it the better your chances of survival.

But most won't want to do it I suspect. It will slow down your stage time.

We just had a stage at our last monthly where you had to load all your guns on the clock (not reload) and it was fun.

I believe I've done it once in 17 years. It's something I used to practice as well (back in the good ole days when I practiced). I would like it and would find it interesting during a monthly match. That being said I would not let my 8 year old buckaroo do it, he would just have to take the penalty. I'd like to see it optional with a big bonus involved. 

Seen it done along with rifle reloads back in the day. As a cap and ball shooter the gun to shoot would be an 1858 Remington or a Ruger Old Army. Stage an extra cylinder and pull the old and install the new. The discussion being, what happens if you dropped a loaded/capped cylinder??? Schofield shooters had a bit of an advantage, but not much.

It definitely changes the outcome of a stage if one hasn't practiced a reload on the clock.

Ike

If is was something people liked a lot you would still see it done on a regular basis.  The fact that it is rarely done anymore should tell you something.:)

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Seen it done along with rifle reloads back in the day. As a cap and ball shooter the gun to shoot would be an 1858 Remington or a Ruger Old Army. Stage an extra cylinder and pull the old and install the new. The discussion being, what happens if you dropped a loaded/capped cylinder??? Schofield shooters had a bit of an advantage, but not much.

It definitely changes the outcome of a stage if one hasn't practiced a reload on the clock.

Ike

A complete reload for percussion revolver shooters is handled by staging a loaded, uncapped revolver down range or switching uncapped cylinders and capping on the clock. 

SHB p.14

The last time I did one was when I broke one of my revolvers and didn't have a spare with me. The TO begged me to borrow one of the several offered revolvers. Wow! Was that Ruger slick!

Once upon a time, at an annual match (early 2000s), we had an unannounced Josie Wales stage (six pistols). If you couldn't borrow enough pistols, you had to reload. Luckily, between Hubby and I, we had six pistols. I can't imagine reloading four guns on the clock. IIRC, no one on our posse had to do that.

Shot with a club that had you do a reload quite often.  I don't care, practice reloading all the time, but still harder on the clock.  One thing for sure, people who shot 32 Rugers hated the reload  LOL        GW

They used to have a stage out at Pala that required reloading both pistols and rifles on the clock. You carried your rifle up to the line in one hand and a box of shells in the other. The stage was a lot of fun but it took a long time to reset all of those targets on the ground as they were all knockdowns.

It's called Real Cowboy and yes, it's fun.  We did it at the Brimstone Pistoleros and have done a team stage at the Lazy Arrow as well.  Great fun at a monthly.

Never done that at a shoot! Of course I do it all the time when I go to the range and practice! Yea, I'd be into it! Sounds like fun!!;)

Wasn't uncommon around here circa 2003/4/5.  Recall one stage at a monthly that started with the rifle unloaded.  ATB you loaded it... on the clock.

A few years later, when I was writing stages for a monthly and got crucified for writing stages with target sequences that no one had ever seen before, or "shoot guns in any order", or otherwise made folks think... if I'd written in a full pistol reload I probably wouldn't be alive to type this.

Depends on the number of shooters you have on each posse and the number of stages that can be used as buffers between posses. A stage like that runs really slow and could result in posses backing up waiting for the posse in front to finish the stage. Makes for a long day if you have a lot of shooters. Generally speaking, pistol reloads don't go over well at our club.

My stance on stage writing is simple...

When you are considering the inclusion of ANY activity; you have to ask...

Can this be accomplished safely by every shooter at my match?

Can this be accomplished in a timely manner by every shooter at my match?

Am I adding this to improve my match or simply to do something different?

Is this an activity that shooters would enjoy as a standalone item?  If not why would it be enjoyed if placed into a stage?

Then after you consider the above; retain or remove the component accordingly.

5 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The discussion being, what happens if you dropped a loaded/capped cylinder???

That would be an MDQ, same as dropping a loaded pistol.

It was common 20 years back. Guys would carry a Schofield in their cart just for the reload. They wouldn't get reloaded any quicker. My philosophy is to

unload at the unloading table as quickly as possible and load as quickly as possible at the loading table. It'll keep you in the practice of loading fast.

There was a reload at the top ten shoot off at one of San Juan's shoots back around 2001. Might have to do it at a monthly, shoot five targets, reload and repeat, 

Next stage do the same with the rifle.

11 minutes ago, Assassin said:

It was common 20 years back. Guys would carry a Schofield in their cart just for the reload. They wouldn't get reloaded any quicker. My philosophy is to

unload at the unloading table as quickly as possible and load as quickly as possible at the loading table. It'll keep you in the practice of loading fast.

There was a reload at the top ten shoot off at one of San Juan's shoots back around 2001. Might have to do it at a monthly, shoot five targets, reload and repeat, 

Next stage do the same with the rifle.

How would this affect the C&B shooter? Just cap a different revolver or change out a cylinder and then recap.

57 minutes ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

How would this affect the C&B shooter? Just cap a different revolver or change out a cylinder and then recap.

56 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Change out a cylinder, cap under the clock.

from previous post:

A complete reload for percussion revolver shooters is handled by staging a loaded, uncapped revolver down range or switching uncapped cylinders and capping on the clock. 

SHB p.14

39 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

from previous post:

SHB p.14

Thank you! I only shoot colt clones so staging another revolver down range will work better.

Used to happen on occasion, didn't mind a bit. I recall one stage where the beeper went off, I drew first pistol, pulled hammer, pulled trigger, nothing. Another click and figured something is wrong. Holler "BROKE" and go to second pistol. Two clicks and a sick feeling comes over me. Check and sure enough, I hadn't loaded the pistols. Or the rifle. Refuse the restart and go to work. Load each pistol as I bring it to bear, then the rifle. Total time was around 45 seconds, and I came in the top 2/3rds of shooters for that stage. Was fun and right proud of myself.

9 hours ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

Did it this year at one of our Wednesday shoots. It was fun.

You're a real rebel!!! Hope to make your first wed shoot this year and many more also!!

Well,

Clubs with one posse shooting a match can do all kinds of activities on & off the clock without concern about stacking up posses for unbalanced stage times.

Clubs with two posses with the ability to separate them can also manage a match with unbalanced stage times.

Clubs with many shooters and several posses have a more difficult time managing matches with unequal stage times. One way is to eliminate the shotgun on a stage with the pistol reload. Of course very efficient shotgun shooters could feel penalized for taking away their best firearm. Another option is to shoot only one pistol and reload it. But then Gunfighters might feel slighted for having to shoot Duelist. 

Let us know how it works out at your local club but make sure to include information about the number of shooters, posses and stages at your match. 

Some Shooters have trouble loading their revolvers safely at the loading table off the clock ,

New and experienced (old) shooters trying to perform this on the clock is an accident waiting to happen..

Maybe you should ask this question to those Match Directors of Winter Range or EOT as to why they don't have a pistol reload .

Cowboy up and just shoot it!

I love when fast shooters get all riled up over something "different". Shows they aren't as good as they think they are...

My most memorable shoots were when something went wrong and I came out smelling like a rose...

ie. Had a 4-2-4 stage. First shot on last target knocked the target over. Shot it three more times before it hit the ground for a clean stage. "I shoot them till they are down"! Spotters were silent just looking at each other. Flying mud behind the target was not from a miss.

Taking away your best firearm gives you practice on what your not so good at. As Long Hunter teaches, practice what your not good at.

A gunfighter can and should be able to shoot duelist at any stage, being able to single cock, double cock, left hand, right hand, outlaw or duelist. That is what makes a gunfighter a gunfighter. Some stages are prone to be best shot with different styles, it's up to you to be able to take advantage of it.

Two handed, slip thumbing is always potentially faster than gunfighter, but I have never shot that way and never will. For me, it's about more than just being fast.

If we start doing a bunch of full pistol reloads I would just have to go buy a  Schofield.   HMMMMMM.......:)

9 minutes ago, Catlow4697 said:

Some Shooters have trouble loading their revolvers safely at the loading table off the clock ,

New and experienced (old) shooters trying to perform this on the clock is an accident waiting to happen..

Maybe you should ask this question to those Match Directors of Winter Range or EOT as to why they don't have a pistol reload .

Why would that be? If you don't break the 170, how is it dangerous? If you can't load on the stage, you prolly can't at the loading table either!

"Unsafe loading" at the loading table is a MDQ, is it not?

If I wrote the stage for a monthly, the first thing I'd probably hear would be, "Get A Rope" :lol: 

It sounds like fun though. I'm In!

Whos gonna write it? :unsure:

1 minute ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

That would be a great starting line for the stage. ;)

I've heard it many times, maybe only once for a starting line though. :D

Very, very few people I shoot with would say it and mean it in a negative way. We love to have fun!!!

Archived