SASS Wire Forum

The reloading room

Hillbilly Drifter

We recently sold our house and are living in an apartment until we decide where we're moving. So space is a premium around here. This was my solution.

We have a decent size patio with a closet for storage. So I mounted the presses to an old dresser, and mounted the dresser to a furniture dolly. I just roll it out of the closet when I need it. 

IMG_0850.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Smokey Dave said:

We recently sold our house and are living in an apartment until we decide where we're moving. So space is a premium around here. This was my solution.

We have a decent size patio with a closet for storage. So I mounted the presses to an old dresser, and mounted the dresser to a furniture dolly. I just roll it out of the closet when I need it. 

IMG_0850.jpg

That's not a bad idea.  I have a few old dressers that I was planning of getting rid of, but I might turn one into a new loading bench.  I like the portability of the one I have now, but the open sided storage means that things are always sliding around and trying to slide off.  Drawers would be a nice change.  I think I'd probably need to do some reinforcing and I'd definitely add a set of locking casters.  I kind of have to keep a foot hooked around one corner of mine so it doesn't migrate away while in use.  But, thanks for the ideas, Smokey!

These pix are a couple years old, the mec600 jr. is now a Grabber and a Lee turret mounts with screw knobs to the bench between Mec and small Blue. Cleaning/workbench and safe to the right of these pix.

P1010002 (2).JPG

P1010004 (2).JPG

P1010005 (2).JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008 (2).JPG

1 minute ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Nice set up!

Thanks HD, It works nice for me! I built a 12 x 16 room in the basement and concreted in the safe. Across from the reloading bench is an "L" shaped counter top held up by file cabinets. To the right of the bench is a Craftsman bench with 2 cabinets above for supplies. I have made mounts for a vice and a single stage press, as well as my case trimmer and LEE that all (one of a time!) can be mounted between the 2 permanent loaders.

I’d post pictures of mine but y’all will laugh, organization ain’t my strong suit.

On 12/26/2018 at 3:06 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

No, I won't buy him any tools. I just pay the bills. This month it was a $6000 trencher and he's picking up a wench tomorrow. The sad part is he has to pay someone help him use them. 

What’s the wench look like? Maybe he’s trading you in.

44 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I’d post pictures of mine but y’all will laugh, organization ain’t my strong suit.

We have all seen your fine workmanship, I find that hard to believe! :o

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Oh pretty please, we need to see it.

It may give hope to the organizationally compromised for future greatness, as your woodworking is really, really great!

2 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Doing it old school!

100_1610.JPG

Nice collection! I have that same box of Hi-Power paper shotshells. I used to have two boxes but my brothers and I couldn't resist the urge to shoot a box. They were my grandfather's and we shot them out of his gun. So I guess it was fitting.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:35 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I would recommend adding at least 1 or 2, 15lb ABC fire extinguishers. ;)

OLG

ordered 2 of them. thanks for the heads up!

On 12/24/2018 at 11:44 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Carpet in a reloading room is not a good idea. :huh:

You want to be able to 'mop' the floor for spilled powder etc.

OLG

Wife told me to go ahead and get hardwood floors put down. Thanks OLG, I told her you insisted...

I also decided to set up the Dillon 550. Bought a craftsman tool chest, reinforced the top and mounted it. Ordered the 45 Colt dies and conversion kit. 

Thanks everyone for the posts. Some great looking set ups and I got some new ideas and inspiration from looking through them. 

IMG_0283.jpeg

IMG_0284.jpeg

IMG_0285.jpeg

:lol:

Replace/re-charge those extinguishers every 12-16mos.

Look at using LED lighting as FLO's put out a lot of RFI that causes issues with electric powder measures and such.

Store bullets and such in the bottom to the tool chest, to give it more stability.

OLG

the bullets are already in the tool chest as are all the primers. 

The lights have been on my radar but so far I have not had any issues with the scale so not a high priority for me at the moment

Hey Hillbilly, is that the headstock to a ukulele hanging on the wall? Did you go "Pete Townsend" on it? LOL!

Seriously though, I like the new setup. Nice work.

IMG_0285.thumb.jpeg.a3c04cf60e0d61162259f933b7ffb7e7.jpeg

Not only do you guys have a neater work area, but you must never spill any shot or powder loading shotgun as I don't see any "catch tray" under your presses. I have a computer box lid under mine.

I certainly should of had one! When I set up the Grabber ---the first couple times using it I had a bad habit of emptying a bottle or 2 of powder or shot all over the bench. It sucks! Never ever leave the plugs out of the bottles when setting up. When tilting back it's amazing how many little #8's go everywhere!

Well----after my debacle yesterday at the range and finding out I loaded a boat  load of ammo with damp primer pockets leaving me with 2--3K of questionable rounds that I won't use in a match and the fact that my indexer ring broke on my 650 today -----I hand decapped 3K rounds, wet tumbled and pan dried in the oven all of these!    Good thing I'm  ambidextrous cause using my left hand or anything right now is out of the question!!   Only have 1K primers and bullets so of to the store tomorrow so I can get busy!!    Going forward I probably wont decap before wet tumbling but I will use the broiler to dry them out before loading!

brass.jpg

17 hours ago, Blackface Charlie said:

Well----after my debacle yesterday at the range and finding out I loaded a boat  load of ammo with damp primer pockets leaving me with 2--3K of questionable rounds that I won't use in a match and the fact that my indexer ring broke on my 650 today -----I hand decapped 3K rounds, wet tumbled and pan dried in the oven all of these!    Good thing I'm  ambidextrous cause using my left hand or anything right now is out of the question!!   Only have 1K primers and bullets so of to the store tomorrow so I can get busy!!    Going forward I probably wont decap before wet tumbling but I will use the broiler to dry them out before loading!

If you're going to wet tumble, then by all means, decap 1st!   One of the primary arguments FOR wet tumbling is clean  primer pockets.   The pins can't get in there if you don't decap.  

Watch your oven temp while you're drying.  http://www.massreloading.com/annealing.html

I don't have a dedicated reloading "room" per se. I use a portion of my workshop for reloading, setting up my press(es) on the workbench  in the background. Most of the cabinets to the left of the window are full of reloading gear. 

20160110_104237.jpg

39 minutes ago, Ripsaw said:

I don't have a dedicated reloading "room" per se. I use a portion of my workshop for reloading, setting up my press(es) on the workbench  in the background. Most of the cabinets to the left of the window are full of reloading gear. 

20160110_104237.jpg

Yer workshop is much to clean and organized:P.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Yer workshop is much to clean and organized:P.

Trust me, just a rare moment in time.  

Archived