SASS Wire Forum

The reloading room

Hillbilly Drifter

This thread has been interesting. Hubby is fairly neat. Maybe I'll take more photos when he has it warm in there.  One thing I don't understand is this. How many grinders does a person need? (The Hardie board and paint are no longer in there.)

BTW, he has three 650s and a metal lathe.

Grinders003.JPG

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one on the far left is set up for buffing. The others are for differing shapes and angles. Careful Allie. He might see this and get one more just to prove a point! Or mount them on your countertops! :D

6 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

This thread has been interesting. Hubby is fairly neat. Maybe I'll take more photos when he has it warm in there.  One thing I don't understand is this. How many grinders does a person need? (The Hardie board and paint are no longer in there.)

Grinders003.JPG

I only see one grinder there--the rest are (in order) a buffer, belt/disc sander combo, disc sander, grinder, wire wheel and another polisher.  Yep, just one grinder!  Maybe you can get him another next Christmas!

Just now, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

No, I won't buy him any tools. I just pay the bills. This month it was a $6000 trencher and he's picking up a wench tomorrow. The sad part is he has to pay someone help him use them. 

I hope you meant winch! otherwise you will NOT be happy...

5 hours ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

Funny, we often talk about the cost of CAS for startup or compared to other hobbies.  Our reloading rooms probably shouldn't be advertised, it might scare off prospective shooters. :P  I don't even want to think about the nice new motorcycle sitting on my reloading bench!:lol:

Fireball, How you get that hog up there anyway?:D

Lee Precision says to match your reloading presses to your needs. So I have a Black and Decker Workmate. Took off the planks and replaced with 2x6's. Bolt on a Lee 4 hole turret for 1,500 each pistol and rifle for the year, then place Lee with Mec SizeMaster and reload 300 shotgun. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done.

On December 24, 2018 at 8:17 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

After looking as some of these reloading rooms, I'm feeling a little inadequate.  I may have to step up my game.

IMG_1531.JPG

Neat how you used the top of the foundation as a shelf.

59 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

No, I won't buy him any tools. I just pay the bills. This month it was a $6000 trencher and he's picking up a wench tomorrow. The sad part is he has to pay someone help him use them. 

Post of the year right there.:lol:

My dad decided he wanted to reload for his .38... ONE gun... and I doubt he ever loaded even 500 rounds, but anyway...

... he made this interesting fold-up contraption from an old sewing machine cabinet about 40 years ago.

SewingMachineCabinet.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, Assassin said:

My vacuum finds them. Concrete is way too cold and hard to stand on for hours. I also have a thick anti static rubber mat. 

Vacuums create static electricity----not a good choice to clean up powder.   When we are sawing propellant we use wet vacs  to prevent igniting the powder.   Seriously---think twice about using a vac!   I might be new to SASS but I have been working in the energetic arena almost 40 years.  

And in most of the zombie movies nobody ever sems to have or find enough ammo. LOL.

13 hours ago, Griff said:

I'm relegated to the barn...

DSCN0420_zps6f65c3a7.jpg

for my reloading.  

That looks like it would be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Oh the suffering. A detached garage came with our property. We tore down the house and left the garage. Hubby insulated it and put up walls. It has a wood burning stove and tiny AC.

58 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

That looks like it would be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Oh the suffering. A detached garage came with our property. We tore down the house and left the garage. Hubby insulated it and put up walls. It has a wood burning stove and tiny AC.

It can be... plus it floods in the rain.  Altogether unsatisfactory... but it's mine... and I don't HAVE to go out there when it's hot, or cold, or when it rains... ;)

17 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

My dad decided he wanted to reload for his .38... ONE gun... and I doubt he ever loaded even 500 rounds, but anyway...

... he made this interesting fold-up contraption from an old sewing machine cabinet about 40 years ago.

You know, not a bad idea there.  I can't use it because the old sewing table we have still has the original antique sewing machine in it that still works, and I know if I tried to do that to something with that kind of value, SWMBO would likely skin me alive with my own skinnin' knife....

22 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Grinders003.JPG

And-how many cats do you have? :lol::P

OLG

Ya gotta have proper stool.

14 hours ago, Blackface Charlie said:

Vacuums create static electricity----not a good choice to clean up powder.   When we are sawing propellant we use wet vacs  to prevent igniting the powder.   Seriously---think twice about using a vac!   I might be new to SASS but I have been working in the energetic arena almost 40 years.  

Don't know about the other cowpokes but I'm shop vacuuming up a few grains.  When y'all are sawing propellant, it sounds like you are talking large quantities of  "BOOM!!!".

35 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Don't know about the other cowpokes but I'm shop vacuuming up a few grains.  When y'all are sawing propellant, it sounds like you are talking large quantities of  "BOOM!!!".

Whether cutting propellant or humpin AMMO static is not your friend.   Walking across carpet generates static---just saying friend.   Hope you live in a humid environment.

most of you look far more organized than ill ever get to be , but i can relate to the minimalist approach , both my presses are mounted to the same workmate , my shotgun reloader is on a friends bench , nothing is convenient but im needing some space to set anything better up at this time , 

Before my move to South Carolina I had two nice climate controlled rooms in a fully finished basement.  Two six foot benches and plenty of cabinet space let me spread out a bit and keep things pretty well organized. Two Dillon RL550's, RCBS Rock Chucker, MEC9000G and Spolar with hydraulic drive were no problem. Of course I took the pic after a major clean up and put away.  In my new home I had to find space in my garage.  Not so great in the heat of the summer, but I just do most of my loading in the fall, winter and spring.  Have to keep things cleaned and oiled to prevent any rusting.  So far no problem.  Used this space under the stairwell to build in a six foot bench and bought the cabinets from Sam's Club.  Sold one RL550 but everything else fit, although very tightly.  Used the bifold doors to keep snooping eyes away when garage door is open.  Not a bad compromise.

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_6741.JPG

Archived