SASS Wire Forum

Footwear, the search may have ended.

Keystone, SASS # 47578

I have followed the last two footwear posts with great interest. After nearly 70 years of use, miss use, abuse & an increase of pounds per square inch of force, my feet are rebelling against the wearing of my on hand CAS/SASS acceptable footwear. The only boots I can wear all day, especially on gravel, are an old pair of lace up steel toe work boots with very rigid(moderate lug type) soles. For many years I haven't chosen footwear by size and have to try on every pair to get a comfortable fit. Therefore, I have footwear ranging in size from 10-10-1/2 & 11. I have visited a local boot store and tried the Justion lacers without success. Until I'm able to purchase appropriate footwear I have to decide; Wear correct CAS/SASS boots and be miserable, don't shoot or just wear the old work boots and shoot. Round here we shoot year round & I can't imagine missing out on the fun. So, I'll just have to beg forgiveness & keep on, keeping on.

PS I'm going to work on reducing lbs/sqin of force, after the holidays. Too much good eating for the next couple of weeks.

Wear what your feet feel good in. I’ll bet no one will care once they hear your plight. Merry Christmas.

11 minutes ago, Keystone, SASS # 47578 said:

PS I'm going to work on reducing lbs/sqin of force, after the holidays. Too much good eating for the next couple of weeks.

yep, it is eating season!

Howdy

Unless you are shooting in one of the costume categories, Classic or B Western, you don't have to wear boots.

There are plenty of shoes that will fit into the general appearance of what was worn in the Old West.

I suggest you find a nice comfortable pair of not fancy, lace up shoes.

Put some of those rubber or foam inserts inside.

Here is what the Shooter's Handbook says about what type of footwear you may not wear:

"All types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which they are constructed."

Just about anything else should be OK.

Howdy Keystone, wear what ever gets you to the range. Have you tried shoes?? I can't wear boots so I wear my Red Wing oxfords most of the time. I have a pair of captoes for dress up. Check out a Red Wing store, their measuring machine can usually match up a great fit. There was so many different types of shoes back then it's easy to find something close. Hush Puppies look very similar to a rough out brogan. I have several years of True West magazines with a ton of real life photos, there were shoes that looked like anything from a penny loafer to a saddle oxford to a wooden shoe. Another thing I noticed in the photos is about 70% of the shirts had either a pointed ranger style collar or banker collars, not the more popular banded collar. Bottom line wear what keeps you shooting. We had one feller that had both knees and a hip done, he wore black referee style shoes cause that's all he could walk in. Good Luck:)

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

Have you tried insoles?  I bought a pair of these  https://www.ariat.com/FOOTBEDS_W_ACC.html   to try and ended up buying three more sets.  I have them in my buckaroos, shooters and even a old pair of vans.  For me they have made a tremendous difference.

I love my cowboy boots.  I have several pair.  I wear them every day of the week except to a SASS match.  Standing all day on uneven ground just plain kills my feet.  Several years ago I discovered Ariat Lacers.  SEE: www.ariat.com/HERITAGE_LACER_M_FOO.html?dwvar_HERITAGE__LACER__M__FOO_color=DISTRESSED_BROWN

I added a pair of Doc Schols insoles. see: /www.drscholls.com/products/comfort-and-energy/massaging-gel-insoles/

I can wear those all day with comfort.

Hope that helps.

Plantar Fasclitis has kept me away for CAS for awhile now. Things are looking up right now but I plan to wear lacers next year. Those Ariats look pretty good.

6 minutes ago, Duster Tom said:

Plantar Fasclitis has kept me away for CAS for awhile now. Things are looking up right now but I plan to wear lacers next year. Those Ariats look pretty good.

They are, but look closely at the tongues and send them back if they aren't in straight. My right lacer's tongue migrates down to the left side throughout the day.

On 12/23/2018 at 10:15 AM, Keystone, SASS # 47578 said:

... I'll just have to beg forgiveness & keep on, keeping on...

Well, I know of one club where you will not have a problem.

:)

Jackalope

Was dking some last minute Christmas shopping with my son the other day and spotted these while zipping through the shoe dept. this was at Meijers (grocery/department store). There are so many choices out there. It just takes a tiny but of time and effort. My point is don’t restrict yourself to western wear/ boot shops when looking. 

0FDC1EBE-BE27-4878-9932-353F818C0F90.jpeg

Thanks for the replies.

CW: I am looking for a lacer such as Justin & Ariat offers but must try them on prior to purchase. 

Have tried my orthotics from my every day New Balance black coaches shoes without success, not enough room.

CB: On my visit at a boot store I saw the inserts for Ariat boots and plan to try them out as the insoles in my boots are worn out. 

BB: My son likes Doc Martens and may give them a look.

J: Thanks pard. 

BS: Also considering having pull-on boots resoled with thicker less flexible soles. I really enjoy the looks of my cathedral boots but looking more cowboy ain't fun when in pain. Reminds of the bandit in the movie Heartbreak Pass that took a great looking pair boots off a fellar that didn't fit.

I wear the Justin's lacer type boots.  I love them so much that I got a second pair and wear nothing but those boots.  One pair for shooting. One pair for everyday.  They are long wearing and I find them extremely comfortable.  I had to go to them when I had to start wearing inserts. 

Most clubs are willing to allow you to wear whatever shoe/boot allows you to shoot in comfortably.  We aren't the costume police when it comes to being able to shoot or not shoot except in costume contests.  Wear whatever allows you to shoot comfortably even if it isn't technically correct and tell anyone that bugs you about it that it is either wear these and shoot, or not wear these and not shoot.  You have a medical reason to wear whatever you need to wear to be able to shoot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 10:04 AM, Clueless Bob said:

I wear the Justin's lacer type boots.  I love them so much that I got a second pair and wear nothing but those boots.  One pair for shooting. One pair for everyday.  They are long wearing and I find them extremely comfortable.  I had to go to them when I had to start wearing inserts. 

I picked up a pair of these. Just started breaking them in but I like them so far.

I have foot / ankle issues and shopping for boots was tough.  I settled on a pair of Double H boots.  Mostly because you can take the stock insole out an put something more comfortable in.  I've got the Superfeet insole I use for hiking in mine (spendy but worth it for me).  If you get them a little on the big side you might be able to stuff 2 insoles in, one as a shank support and one as a cushion.  That or I've seen some work boot insoles that might work as well.

Some weeks back the "just about wear whatever you want", went out the window. The show/boot in question had red and white checkered cloth around the top. Can't see it unless the wearer sat down. The powers that be said NO!

Or as my position has been, if you have a medical problem with your feet, wear what helps you be comfortable and not damage your feet any more. We have "older" folk who shoot in tennis shoes as nothing else lets them stand for 6 stages!

Ike

Bite the bullet and get those Earthwalkers in a size 9. They'll size in good and you wont just wear them to shoots either. Call and talk to Stephan, he'll fix you up with what you need. If they dont fit, he'll trade them out. I told him i wear a 12 in some boots and a 13 in others. He said I needed 11s. I thought he was nuts, but he knows what hes talking about.

On 12/26/2018 at 9:22 AM, Boomstick Bruce said:

I went through 3 pairs of boots until I settled on a pair of doc martens... Great boots, I wear them all the time now not just for SASS

Same with me.  I use an old pair, with Dr Scholls inserts, very comfortable.

Howdy,

Thanks for the many replies. I went to a local boot store and tried on different size & manufacture of boots. I settled on the "Conductor" work boot by Justin. Nice looking lacer with a thick stiff sole and available in black. I'm currently breaking them in around the house. I did replace my insole in my Ariat Roper pull on boots with new factory replacements with limited success. I'm still considering having my cathedral boots resoled with a thicker stiffer sole than the originals. Losing weight is also top priority to alleviate knee & foot discomfort. Should also help with overcoming shrinkage of gun & shotgun belts.:rolleyes: 

PS The "Conductor" boots are listed under Work Boots not Western Boots in the Justin online catalog.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:14 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Some weeks back the "just about wear whatever you want", went out the window. The show/boot in question had red and white checkered cloth around the top. Can't see it unless the wearer sat down. The powers that be said NO!

Or as my position has been, if you have a medical problem with your feet, wear what helps you be comfortable and not damage your feet any more. We have "older" folk who shoot in tennis shoes as nothing else lets them stand for 6 stages!

Ike

Dear Ike,

I consider you a friend. However, I must disagree with your take on that thread. There was more about the shoe than the "red and white checkered cloth around the top" that nixed it. The toe had a white up curve part of the sole  that made it look like an athletic shoe. That was visible at all times.

About older folk, I think I'm older than you and have bad feet (or foot) too. All someone like that needs to do is ask the MD for an accommodation. I firmly believe that most MDs will allow a reasonable accommodation.

IMO, we should not dilute the standard required footwear rules for an allowable, as needed, accommodation.

Regards,

Allie

Hi Allie

Friends should be able to counter what each other says. So I'm glad you pushed back.

I was a bit tweaked about the ROC or WB saying no to those shoes. The rules say what isn't allowed. Those shoes did not fall under what "isn't" allowed. While the rule can't cover everything and there are times when a "ruling" is needed. But I still get back to if I can't wear XXX so I can stand for 3 hours then I can't shoot.  Accommodations must be made.

Ike

Archived