SASS Wire Forum

Captain Bill Burt

My youngest Johnathan has a treat coming Christmas morning! He’s been saying he wants to start shooting with us and 2019 is going to be the year. He’s getting a set of Single Sixes in 32 H&R Mag. 

An SKB 100 by THE SKB man, Fast Eddie.

Last but not least, a Henry .22 with action job and shortstroke by Widder, trigger by Slater. If I hadn’t handled it myself I wouldn’t have believed you could slick up a Henry .22 this well. It’s a masterpiece! 

346D8B1E-9FC5-4D5E-828D-6EE7ABE63C8F.jpeg

49C7EB9D-93FD-4A52-91BD-85089858247E.jpeg

B53AF7C0-1B9F-46A5-9A36-5F2000E3C664.jpeg

748E90F3-54EC-4ABE-853C-4F5516A66D31.jpeg

9DCDE3A1-9EC6-483E-B262-72940A720CF1.jpeg

00EAAB0E-0085-46EF-B996-065FED04F766.jpeg

E3A182BC-0AC6-42EF-B49F-F1BBCD378236.jpeg

What a lucky young man. I love seeing parents invest in a child’s future. This could be the one thing that you both share for a life time. Congratulations 

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That Henry sight is plumb cool...!  Can you tell us anything about it~?   :)

Well when I gave the gun to Widder I mentioned that all it had was a plastic black post with a hood (I removed the hood). Widder took a sure hit sight, cut the length down some then somehow reduced the diameter of the sight with the exception of the front most section. I’m not sure how he did that but I know JB Weld was involved in getting it on.

I’m really impressed with the way it works and with how it looks on the gun.

I’ve fired my share of lever action .22s and none have been anywhere near as smooth as this one. 

Widder and Slater produce a fast handling fun to shoot rifle.  I’m anxious to see Kid Flash shoot it.

I’m looking forward to seeing the smile on his face next year shooting those irons!

see ya on the CAS trail next year!

Merry Christmas

Crawdaddy 

12 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That Henry sight is plumb cool...!  Can you tell us anything about it~?   :)

The making of the front site was very sophisticated.  :wacko:

It takes a steady hand of a HIGHLY trained person (:lol:) using a unique pieces of machinery (Electric drill

and Dremel tool),;)

a fabricated piece of the finest sand paper at Lowe's (various grits), and some super strength,

Top Secret scientific compound (JB Weld).:ph34r:

I took a 'Large' size Sure Hit front site (by Slick McClade) and chucked 1/2 of it in a drill.

Then, using the sand paper,  I turned a portion down to the diameter I was wanting.

For the front site on the Henry .22, I had to open up the slot in the Sure Hit site in order to get it to fit

on the front site.   I didn't want to narrow the front site on the Henry because if Capt Bill didn't like

it, he could remove the Sure Hit and he would still have the standard front site.

THEN... I applied an appropriate amount of JBWeld in the slot and on the top of the front site,

and placed the WHOLE Sure Hit front site on it.

After the JBWeld dried (overnight), I trimmed off most of the excess front most section (using my

Dremel and cut off wheel) but I left a small portion of the larger diameter section as noticed in the picture.

I slightly beveled any sharp edges to finish it off.

Actually, it was my first attempt at this type front site and I thought it turned out very well.

P.S. - When using the JBWeld, it will probably ooz out. and appear unsightly.   I use a toothpick

while the ooz is still wet and clean up around the front sight.

Glad you like it.

..........Widder

Thanks Rainmaker! When basketball season ends in February four of us should be shooting regularly. I signed my younger daughter up too, even though she says she’s not interested. If she comes out that will make five, though I’ll have to buy another rig and set of guns.

How does Lethal Lizzie sound?

I’ll have to come up with a name for our gang.

Burt Bunch?  Burt Crew? Georgia Rednecks?

Maravalihoso Cinco   (Magnificent Five)

He looks ready to burn em down.   

Congrats again.

If ya have to buy another Henry .22 for the young lady of the family, I know a good 'Kitchen Table' gunsmith

that will be glad to assist you again.

See Y'all on the trail.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Lethal Lizzie is great. Might be a mouthful for a young lady. How does she feel about it?

I might know someone who has some holsters for a buckerette...

She likes it. Her middle name is Elizabeth and her favorite cousin’s nickname is Lizzie.

Let me know about those holsters.

I think there was a 'Liz Lethal'   (or Lathal) that was a Tennis Table champion (ping pong).

She apparently was pretty good and had a nick name of Lethal Liz.

The name carries a Champion flavor to it.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Maravalihoso Cinco   (Magnificent Five)

He looks ready to burn em down.   

Congrats again.

If ya have to buy another Henry .22 for the young lady of the family, I know a good 'Kitchen Table' gunsmith

that will be glad to assist you again.

See Y'all on the trail.

..........Widder

He’s definitely looking forward to it!  Thanks again Widder!

Well, Widder, that was a most marvelous application of ingenuity and craftsmanship indeed!  ^_^  :lol:

I might suggest to Sassparilla Kid that he take a look at it... he might just want to do something similar to his Henry ~ which was his Christmas present when he was eight, some nineteen years ago.  Needless to say, he's moved up in the world, but that .22 is still a fun gun!  :)  

Kid Flash is a lucky young man! Good thing he has rich parents!!

18 hours ago, Max Payne said:

Kid Flash is a lucky young man! Good thing he has rich parents!!

They won't be rich after they have to buy stock in .22 ammo..... :lol::lol:

..........Widder

Tommy and I each have a Henry .22 with the Widder Soft Stroke because neither one of us wanted to share!  They're such fun to shoot!

Jonathan is a lucky kid!!

Big hugs!

Scarlett

My Grandson, Kwik Thumb KC,  shoots an outfit just about the same except for a browning instead of an SKB and you are right on the Widder soft-stroke Henry. It is a real treat.  His sister shoots a .38 trapper carbine along with her pair of .32 pistols and I shoot .45s so I know what you are going through at the reloading bench. All I can say is, it is more fun the more family that is with you on match days.

Buxton Lookout

On 12/26/2018 at 11:02 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

Yadda yadda a bunch of other stuff....

I’ll have to come up with a name for our gang.

Burt Bunch?  Burt Crew? Georgia Rednecks?

Bama Burts

Caps Crew

Kajun

Archived