SASS Wire Forum

Bayonets...What's the call?

Just got back from shooting my first SASS match in several years.  Had a blast and met many great new shooting pards!

After the match was over I was told that a period correct accessory I have used previously is now forbidden.  That accessory is the bayonet for my 1866 Ubertichester Musket

I have gone through all the SASS manuals and the only one that refers to bayonets is the Wild Bunch Manual.  I've never shot Wild Bunch so I never looked at that rulebook.  The online SASS Handbook, match directors materials, and all the RO materials do not make any reference whatsoever to a bayonet.  The Wild Bunch Manual does however, and it states that bayonets for that are not allowed.

So my question is what's allowed/not allowed.  Do Wild Bunch rules/regulations apply during a non-Wild Bunch Match?  

So, whats the call?

P.S. The Wild bunch manual also in the same line that refers to bayonets prohibits slings.  The SASS handbook says they're allowed.  Again, whats the call?

26 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Ask these so-called 'x-perts' to cite what section of 'The Book' that they 'think' they are referring to. :huh:

Bet they can't..........:rolleyes:

OLG

Bet they can not either

FWIW - I scanned the ROC archives and found NO references to "bayonets" whatsoever.

WBAS rules and regulations do not apply to SASS/CAS...and vice-versa.

Many years ago, before SASS created rules for Wild Bunch, I shot a match with my 97 trench gun, with the bayonet fixed.   Everyone thought was a hoot.   They even told me that they'd all applaud and laugh if on the last stage I were to charge the paper target and bayonet it.   So I did.   I got applause, it was fun.

A few years later, I went to the same club, and they had a new rule, no fixed bayonets.   But, they had no problem with my wearing my Webley Bayonet as an accessory on my belt.  I just couldn't fix it to the revolver.   Wasn't going to anyway, it wouldn't have fit in the holster!  

So, with all that being said, I'd defer to your local club as to if they would allow you do the match with a fixed bayonet.

9 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Many years ago, before SASS created rules for Wild Bunch, I shot a match with my 97 trench gun, with the bayonet fixed.   Everyone thought was a hoot.   They even told me that they'd all applaud and laugh if on the last stage I were to charge the paper target and bayonet it.   So I did.   I got applause, it was fun.

A few years later, I went to the same club, and they had a new rule, no fixed bayonets.   But, they had no problem with my wearing my Webley Bayonet as an accessory on my belt.  I just couldn't fix it to the revolver.   Wasn't going to anyway, it wouldn't have fit in the holster!  

So, with all that being said, I'd defer to your local club as to if they would allow you do the match with a fixed bayonet.

Roger to all that.  I too have used a trenchie shotgun in a match with bayonet.

If it's club/range rules that's good too.  However I was told it was in the SASS rules not club/range.

BTW was your webley bayo repro or original?  I picked up an uncut mk6 a while ago and have been interested in those pistol bayonets (ima-usa sells repros).

3 minutes ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

Roger to all that.  I too have used a trenchie shotgun in a match with bayonet.

If it's club/range rules that's good too.  However I was told it was in the SASS rules not club/range.

BTW was your webley bayo repro or original?  I picked up an uncut mk6 a while ago and have been interested in those pistol bayonets (ima-usa sells repros).

My bayonet is the IMA USA reproduction.   I have 2 Webley Mark VI's and one Mark V with the longer barrel.  It does not fit on any of them.   They barrel is not long enough.    I have read that there was actually some variation in the barrel lengths and I am apparently unlucky enough to have the shorter ones.  We are talking about 1/4 of an inch here.

Here is an old pic of Stretch Hester shooting his.  Once at an Alamo Area Moderators match, the stages all had side berms for safe downrange movement, and on one stage the shotgun targets were 1-foot sections of fence post placed on small stands that were hits if they were knocked off.  Well Stretch got approval in private from the TO, saved one shotgun target for last and charged it.  Lots of fun.

Stretch_66.jpg

You'd have to be careful or you'd be knocking down the pistol targets.

What I want to know is how all the bayonets keep getting broken?  I mean, you always hear the command, "Fix bayonets!", but I never see a broken one or anyone fixing it. :rolleyes: :lol:  Same thing with the media...they are always saying, "Here's breaking news!"  But why don't they try fixing it?  Or is "the fix" already in? :P

Merry Christmas, Pards!

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Ask these so-called 'x-perts' to cite what section of 'The Book' that they 'think' they are referring to. :huh:

Bet they can't..........:rolleyes:

OLG

Actually nobody stated his bayonet was illegal. A posse member who is a state/ National / World champion caliber competitor stated that he wondered about bayonets! I can assure you that nobody was being a so called "x-pert" on the subject at the time when it was discussed. You are correct that it couldn't be cited in the book, we all were in agreement at the time, unlike the discussions here that went straight to the petty cheap shots and bluster that is the basis of so many of these multil page oracles of super heated authoritative air! 

Awww..... Nothing like a good pot stirring by the arm chair quarterbacks IMO :mellow:

6 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

Bet they can not either

You'd not had anyone take your bet as there was no one at the match declaring bayonets forbidden!

It was good having you there today Aggie Rifleman, hope you have a Merry Christmas !

It is a sharp pointy thing and there fore dangerous. Or... the sharp dangerous pointy thing acts as a counter weight to absorb the horrendous recoil and muzzle rise. :huh:

16 hours ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

P.S. The Wild bunch manual also in the same line that refers to bayonets prohibits slings.  The SASS handbook says they're allowed.  Again, whats the call?

A few years ago, they added this to the SHB, I believe in the 2013-2014 timeframe:

Slings  are  allowed  on long  guns.    Lanyards  are  allowed  on  handguns. 

Enough people asked questions about it that they decided to add it to the list of allowed modifications.

Before that, it was not listed as being allowed.

9 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Actually nobody stated his bayonet was illegal. A posse member who is a state/ National / World champion caliber competitor stated that he wondered about bayonets! I can assure you that nobody was being a so called "x-pert" on the subject at the time when it was discussed. You are correct that it couldn't be cited in the book, we all were in agreement at the time, unlike the discussions here that went straight to the petty cheap shots and bluster that is the basis of so many of these multil page oracles of super heated authoritative air! 

Awww..... Nothing like a good pot stirring by the arm chair quarterbacks IMO :mellow:

You'd not had anyone take your bet as there was no one at the match declaring bayonets forbidden!

It was good having you there today Aggie Rifleman, hope you have a Merry Christmas !

I responded to the OP's post, and stand by my posting from the information given. -_-

It was not a 'petty cheap shot'. It's should be a standard response when anydandbody states a unusual equipment or rule violation, etc.

OLG

I don't think I would call it an external modification if a bayonet lug was present.  No more than I would call a dust cover either present or not present on a Winchester '73 and its clones as a modification.

13 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Well, the OP said he was told that it was now forbidden, not that somebody wondered about it. 

15 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

It was great being there with all y'all!  I didn't mean this thread by any means to maliciously stir the pot...just trying to stay within rules and find out what's allowed/not, especially since I haven't shot in so long.

The Mrs. has said next month is gtg and she may even come too!

5 hours ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

It was great being there with all y'all!  I didn't mean this thread by any means to maliciously stir the pot...just trying to stay within rules and find out what's allowed/not, especially since I haven't shot in so long.

The Mrs. has said next month is gtg and she may even come too!

Will look forward to having you back with us!  

Thats good to hear the Mrs may be able to make it as well! Send me a PM if you need any extra guns/ gear for the shoot :)

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I responded to the OP's post, and stand by my posting from the information given. -_-

It was not a 'petty cheap shot'. It's should be a standard response when anydandbody states a unusual equipment or rule violation, etc.

OLG

Yet when additional facts were offered To the discussion, you chose to stand by the "expert" comment? Dismissive belittling of others is in fact petty. I try to never let the chance to quit digging the hole and put down the shovel slip by ;)

I will take my own advice at this point.......  Have a Merry Christmas OLG! :)

7 hours ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

Well, the OP said he was told that it was now forbidden, not that somebody wondered about it. 

I assure you that the match director (myself) did not tell Aggie Rifleman his bayonet was forbidden! 

I did listen to the discussion about the bayonet and whether WB rules had any bearing, which I pointed out that we don't WB and that was another game altogether. Maybe it's who you choose to believe, which I have no control over. 

Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas NN :)

12 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Yet when additional facts were offered To the discussion, you chose to stand by the "expert" comment? Dismissive belittling of others is in fact petty. I try to never let the chance to quit digging the hole and put down the shovel slip by ;)

I will take my own advice at this point.......  Have a Merry Christmas OLG! :)

Like I said-I stand by my post with the information posted by the OP-<_<

You seem to be the one have'n 'fact' issues over this thread-let it go.

חנוכה שמח 

OLG

Archived