SASS Wire Forum

Seeing a miss

Stump Water

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:52 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I just ask the spotters to discuss... Never pressure anyone to change their minds.

What's sad is when the is obvious evidence of a edge... Or whatever, that some spotters will never change their minds... Like it's an insult to their manhood (or womanhood).

Phantom

Exactly. An edge hit is still a hit and if the bullet is .452 or .224 the shooter should get credit for it. If they change the rules and give you more value for a hit closer to center then I'll go along with that. But for now a edge hit is a hit so let's call it what it is. Not dismiss it because of the location or poor spotting. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto on Phantom’s comment re: “obvious edge hit.” 

If targets are properly painted - which includes the edges - there should be proof of an edge hit, not “doubt” about one. And if there is doubt, then the benefit goes to the shooter. 

And, when I’m PL, I ask shooters at the outset that if they are spotting to show their hands (fingers) to the TO before they look at other spotters to see what their call is.

RR

I think this photo sums up this now-three-page post. Friend and fellow PRVC at Lazy Arrow member Dust'N Bottles sent me a photo along with this comment:

Someone took this photo of me spotting for you. YOU’RE WELCOME!

:D  RR

Dustin spotting.jpg

7 minutes ago, Roger Rapid said:

I think this photo sums up this now-three-page post. Friend and fellow PRVC at Lazy Arrow member Dust'N Bottles sent me a photo along with this comment:

Someone took this photo of me spotting for you. YOU’RE WELCOME!

:D  RR

Dustin spotting.jpg

He can spot for me any time!

23 hours ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

To be fair you shot a strong match all the way through and that's no easy feat on three very dissimilar platforms. I also did not shoot a J frame, but a K snubby which is not quite the same and provided a slight edge. Next time I will try the J, hopefully not with wadcutters. Well played Sir. I enjoyed your company immensely. 

It's a fun diversion from Cowboy shooting.  There are two coming up this week at Sussex Shooting Sports in Waverly, VA.  One on Thursday 12/27 and then another on Sunday 12/30.  Same rules, same people, just different range.  Let me know if you're interested.  Send me a PM with your email address.

On 12/25/2018 at 7:44 AM, Cowboy Junky said:

Exactly. An edge hit is still a hit and if the bullet is .452 or .224 the shooter should get credit for it. If they change the rules and give you more value for a hit closer to center then I'll go along with that. But for now a edge hit is a hit so let's call it what it is. Not dismiss it because of the location or poor spotting. 

Well, if some percentage of spotters is going to call an edge hit a miss, then there is inherently less value in an edge hit.  

And I'm with hoss.  My favorite way to hear a miss is when the bullet goes "DANGIT" instead of "CLANG" 

On 12/23/2018 at 8:03 AM, CodyMaverick said:

my goal is verify 'hits' first and a correct sequence/round count second.

Thank you.  Too often I find myself (the designated Scorekeeper) the only one counting rounds.

On 12/25/2018 at 3:55 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

He can spot for me any time!

Right.  Done told ya: one of my favorite spotters is Maggie Darlin'.  She's deaf.  And totally reliable.

On 12/21/2018 at 8:20 PM, Snakebite said:

Please help me out here... where does it say that? 

I'm not trying to start anything here... believe what ever you want. But I think that it is much easier to determine a miss than it is to determine a hit. Many targets don't ring and don't move when hit. It is compounded with the light loads that are used today. Seeing the dirt behind the target is a much better indicator. The shooter's score is adjusted by the number of misses, it is not added up by the number of hits. Misses are what spotters are looking for, NOT hits.

I dunno Snakebite.  Maybe we're saying the same thing.  Sure "Seeing the dirt behind the target is a much better indicator"... of a miss, maybe.  But, as I've said, my beef is with the notion that, if you don't see that dirt fly then you can't call a miss.  

Sure, "The shooter's score is adjusted by the number of misses, it is not added up by the number of hits."  We all know that.  But, if all the spotters are watching for misses then who's watching the targets?

As others have said, myself included, use "all the evidence" to determine hit or miss.  If you have dead targets, or whatever, and you're not sure, then it's a hit.  

But, one more time, my beef is with the notion that, if you don't see that dirt fly (or some other phenomenon behind the target) then you can't call a miss. 

On 12/21/2018 at 1:44 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Ya, you can out here-it's called a ricochet. ^_^

OLG

That's called a "hit" here in TX... in order to ricochet,  the bullet has to hit something... 

But in reality... I think we're the luckiest shooting sport there is.  Where else can you observe Major League Umpires in training?  Or is it retirement?  Nothing spotters call surprises me anymore.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

That's called a "hit" here in TX... in order to ricochet,  the bullet has to hit something... 

Hit somedangthing like the hard ground after missing the big steel plate, and then hear it 'zing' off is not that uncommon here. 

OLG

Archived