SASS Wire Forum

Hat's by Lil'Grizz

Deadshot Dan

This year i decided to get myself a gift, after years of struggling with ill fitting hat's i said enough is enough.  I happened to stumble on a hatmaker named Lil' Grizz and the rest is history.  All i had to do is give him my head measurement and a overhead picture of my noggin and he turned out a hat that is truly mine.  He made me a buckaroo style which is a gus creased hat with a pencil rolled brim in pecan.  Man it fits so nice and looks good too, couldn't be happier.  Just wanted to pass this along to ya'll, if your lookin for a handmade hat in the tradition of the 1800's using period blocks and tools Lil'Grizz is your hatter.  

19 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

I have 2 of his hats.  Love'em both and they fit like a glove.

Totes

Yes they do, only ever had assembly line hats before this and have more of a long oval head shape.  Had to deal with the red mark on my forehead and a headache.  Not anymore I love this hat, fit like a well broken in pair of boots from the get go and i thought the price was pretty good too.  Already tryin to decide which one i want next

How about a pic? :) I'm lucking in that Stetson 7 1/8 fits me perfectly, but I also love custom stuff. Glad you found a hat that works for you.

14 minutes ago, Cibola Al said:

How about a pic? :) I'm lucking in that Stetson 7 1/8 fits me perfectly, but I also love custom stuff. Glad you found a hat that works for you.

Thanks Al.   I'll get one on soon as i can, well i mean as soon as i can get my daughter to help teach me to post it. your seeing about the extent of my tech skills.

49 minutes ago, Cibola Al said:

Here's a Lil' Grizzly hat in action:

FB_IMG_1518279745560.jpg

Here it is, Grizz calls it the Buckaroo.  Now i just need to decide on a hat band, thinkin maybe a horsehair or a double buckle wide leather Leboufstyle.  New hat also inspired me to finally build myself a hat rack outta some old roughcut cedar i had laying around, cleaned up pretty darn good i think.DSCF2780.thumb.JPG.0439c70e119a99c6e049a946f6e40488.JPGDSCF2778.thumb.JPG.de992df7199ca2d9541f7b733b359b8b.JPGDSCF2779.thumb.JPG.c2bea947f10692b9e34c00685d76329b.JPG

1 minute ago, Blackface Charlie said:

And how do you get ahold of Lil'Grizz??

Etsy or Facebook is the best way:

https://www.etsy.com/market/hats_by_grizz

https://facebook.com/HatsByGrizzMadeWithJoy/

http://www.hatsbygrizzmadewithjoy.com/contact-

2 minutes ago, Flint N. Steele said:

I have a Lil Grizz hat, too.  

IMG_0152.JPG

Thats one fine lookin hat Flint looks good, is that a montana peak in sand?  That may be my next one, already lookin.  Purposely built a couple extra spots on that hat rack and the 30 year old resistol on the top could go ta greener pastures as it never fit worth a darn even after attempts to stretch it.

4 hours ago, Deadshot Dan said:

Thats one fine lookin hat Flint looks good, is that a montana peak in sand?  That may be my next one, already lookin.  Purposely built a couple extra spots on that hat rack and the 30 year old resistol on the top could go ta greener pastures as it never fit worth a darn even after attempts to stretch it.

I had them customize the pinch, I call it a "Clementine."

Flint's 73.jpg

55 minutes ago, Cibola Al said:

Just ordered a "dirty snow" Lucas. He got me with the free shipping offer. Glad you started this thread DD

No problem Al, hope ya like your hat as much as i  do.  And like the man himself say's, welcome to the Lil' Grizz hat family.  How long does this free shipping thing last?

1 hour ago, Deadshot Dan said:

No problem Al, hope ya like your hat as much as i  do.  And like the man himself say's, welcome to the Lil' Grizz hat family.  How long does this free shipping thing last?

FB post says through the end of the year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2018 at 8:33 PM, Deadshot Dan said:

If ya don't mind what color is it?

I'm pretty sure it's "sand."
Been a couple years since I ordered it.

1 minute ago, Flint N. Steele said:

I'm pretty sure it's "sand."
Been a couple years since I ordered it.

Thank's Flint, from picture's iv'e seen i like the sand color.  Just seem's he doesn't offer it in some of the styles i'm interested in, maybe just have to give him a call.

2 minutes ago, Deadshot Dan said:

Thank's Flint, from picture's iv'e seen i like the sand color.  Just seem's he doesn't offer it in some of the styles i'm interested in, maybe just have to give him a call.

I had a tough time choosing between gray and sand.
Mayhap I needs anuther one.  :D

6 minutes ago, Flint N. Steele said:

I had a tough time choosing between gray and sand.
Mayhap I needs anuther one.  :D

I know what your saying, iv'e alway's been partial ta black hat's, but figure i don't want every one the same color.  Kinda hard tryin to visualize what a certain style hat would look like in a color by a online picture.  Maybe i just need to get one of each then i'll know.  :D

30 minutes ago, Deadshot Dan said:

Or send him a message on Etsy, he usually answers pretty quick. 

On 12/22/2018 at 8:27 AM, Tyrel Cody said:

And if I'm not on Facebook or Etsy?

5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And if I'm not on Facebook or Etsy?

You're screwed :P

You can look at his page on Etsy without joining. I'm sure he has a phone and/or contact info listed somewhere on there. I think he's got a website as well, but I was just stating the most responsive way to contact him.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:25 PM, Cibola Al said:

Just ordered a "dirty snow" Lucas. He got me with the free shipping offer. Glad you started this thread DD

Howdy Al, figured since this post came back ta life again, when ya get your new hat put it on here and show it off.  Everyone love's a good hat.

11 hours ago, Deadshot Dan said:

Howdy Al, figured since this post came back ta life again, when ya get your new hat put it on here and show it off.  Everyone love's a good hat.

Probably be another 5-7 weeks until completion, but when it gets here I'll get a pic up.  Al

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, I liked my Lucas so much I decided to get another. I wanted something with a bit more brim, and darker since my '73 likes to deposit dirty brass up on top of my head. I consulted with Mizz Grizz (Joy) and ended up with a customized Southwestern style. They agreed to iron the front and rear pencil curl and give it some dip to the brim. Living where I do, I have access to a lot of locally made native american art work, and the concho hatband was made by a local Navajo craftsman (the buckle in my profile pic was made by a local Zuni). I tried my hand at steam shaping the felt and perfectly fit the hat to my head. I can't say enough good about Hats by Grizz.

IMGP2598 (2).JPG

Archived