SASS Wire Forum

.45-70, in a 45-90

C. W. Knight # 47289L

In most cases...… Yes, they can. The accuracy will suffer some. You don't have to, but If you are loading your own ammo and are able, set the bullet out as close to the lands as you can. This will shorten the "Jump" and should help. Or, if you are loading your own, just buy 45-90 brass and load it. The 45-90 was more of an express round, generally using a smaller bullet. 

Howdy

45-90 is just a longer version of 45-70. You can fire a 45-70 in any single shot chambered for 45-90. no different than firing 38 Special in a 357 Magnum.

A lever gun is going to be a different story. I'm not aware of any lever guns being chambered for 45-90 off the top of my head, but if one were I suspect a 45-70 would not be long enough to sit properly on the carrier to feed properly.

Just a guess, my 1886 is chambered for 45-70, and would not accept the longer cartridge.

As Driftwood said, no different than shooting a .38 Special in a .357, or a .44 Special in a .44 Mangle-em.  Before .45-90 brass was available, I used to shoot .45-70's in a M1886 Winchester.  Using 385-405gr bullets, it fed just fine.  The only problem with all of these, is the shorter round will foul the chamber ahead of the shorter case, and the chamber should be cleaned regularly.  Shooting enough of the shorter cartridges in any of these could, eventually, result in erosion of the chamber ahead of the wall, making chambering the full-length rounds difficult.  But that will take a LOT of shooting to cause that.

As a note, the .45-90, .45-110, .45-70 are all based on the same case head dimensions.  The .45-60 may have a slightly thinner rim, which may, depending on the headspace of the individual M1876, make chambering difficult.  But the rim diameter and the diameter ahead of the rim are similar to the .45-70.

There is one difference overlooked so far.  All of the pistol calibers referenced are all straight walled. Base and neck are the same diameter.  The 45-70 and all its cousins are tapered cases.  All the cases have a base diameter of 0.508 and a neck diameter of 0.480. 

Shooting a shorter case in a longer chamber means that where ever the case mouth is the chamber is larger than spec.  True this isn't much but it is a factor that shouldn't be overlooked as it can reduce case life because of the extra working the brass goes through being sized back down to spec after fire forming to a larger chamber.

14 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

45-90 is just a longer version of 45-70. You can fire a 45-70 in any single shot chambered for 45-90. no different than firing 38 Special in a 357 Magnum.

A lever gun is going to be a different story. I'm not aware of any lever guns being chambered for 45-90 off the top of my head, but if one were I suspect a 45-70 would not be long enough to sit properly on the carrier to feed properly.

Just a guess, my 1886 is chambered for 45-70, and would not accept the longer cartridge.

Beg to differ. Original Win 1886 were chambered for 45/90 but were loaded with 300gr bullet so overall length was similar.   GW

1 hour ago, G W Wade said:

Beg to differ. Original Win 1886 were chambered for 45/90 but were loaded with 300gr bullet so overall length was similar.   GW

It was called the '.45-90 Express'.

Was only intended for the '86.

The single shot rifles use a different ROT for the heavier bullets.

OLG

19 minutes ago, tacobill said:

Sharps, 55g black powder,300g cast bullet, 100yds,15x15 in square target

100yds for a Sharps is spit'n distance.

How does it work at 500yds and beyond?

I'll bet you'll have a bunch of flyers...........

OLG

Howdy Again

Here is my 1886 Winchester with a 45-70 round on the carrier. This round has a 405 grain bullet in it. If I was using a 485 grain bullet there would be even less space.

Can't run a regular 45-90 through this gun.

45-70%20on%20Carrier_zps8ogokemy.jpg

Archived