SASS Wire Forum

Looking for Mass Compliant Uberti Buntline

A few years ago, I saw an 18" Buntline Special made by Uberti at my favorite local gun shop.   For various foolish reasons, I didn't buy it in spite of the excellent price.

I've been kicking myself ever since.   So, I thought I'd try looking for one here.   Clearly if I saw one at my LGS, then there must be others that are Mass Compliant.   So, if anyone has one that they are willing to sell, please drop me a line and let me know how much you want for it.   I have no idea what they are going for today, so I'll just have to see how much you want for it before I can make a decision.  .44 Special, .44-40 or .45 Colt caliber. 

Of course, if you've got a 2nd Gen Colt in that configuration, I'd be willing to consider that as well.  (Do such animals even exist?)

There are two on Gunbroker

35 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

What's Mass compliant mean?

Compliant with Massachusetts laws.

In a nutshell, if the gun in question does not meet certain "safety" regulations, then it can not be imported or sold in the state unless you can prove that it was registered in the state prior to 1998.  (I think that's the date)

A traditional design SAA is deemed unsafe by Massachusetts, so you can't buy them here.   We are limited to what was in state prior to the laws being changed.

I've had them in .357 and currently have three .45 Colt, but I've yet to see one in .44-40. Probably just didn't make as many as the other two calibers.

Go to Gunbroker and punch in "Uberti Buntline", they're the first two on the page.

1 minute ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I've had them in .357 and currently have three .45 Colt, but I've yet to see one in .44-40. Probably just didn't make as many as the other two calibers.

Go to Gunbroker and punch in "Uberti Buntline", they're the first two on the page.

The one at my LGS was a .45.   I don't know if any were made in either .44 caliber, but I'd be amenable to them if they were.    My 12" Colt is a .44 Special for example.   Surprised to learn of them in .357.   Aren't they excessively heavy?

Those 2 on Gunbroker are in Pennsylvania so they are beyond my reach.

Quite heavy, that's why I sold them 7 years ago and bought .45's. Korupt Karl might still have them, if you're interested.

As far as I know, they were made only in .357, .44-40, and .45 Colt. Of course, you could always put a .44 spl cylinder in the .44-40.

To be Mass. compliant, they would have had to be submitted and passed the "drop test".  Obviously, a Single Action Army, or any other gun that allows to firing pin to contact the primer upon impact would not pass.   So, the newer Ubertis with the folding firing pin would probably pass, or any models such as the Pietta models that come with the Transfer Bar.    

12 hours ago, McCandless said:

To be Mass. compliant, they would have had to be submitted and passed the "drop test".  Obviously, a Single Action Army, or any other gun that allows to firing pin to contact the primer upon impact would not pass.   So, the newer Ubertis with the folding firing pin would probably pass, or any models such as the Pietta models that come with the Transfer Bar.    

Don't they know you only load 5 In a six gun? Hammer on an empty chamber?

:D

On 12/20/2018 at 8:27 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

In a nutshell, if the gun in question does not meet certain "safety" regulations, then it can not be imported or sold in the state unless you can prove that it was registered in the state prior to 1998.  (I think that's the date)

A traditional design SAA is deemed unsafe by Massachusetts, so you can't buy them here.   We are limited to what was in state prior to the laws being changed.

Yeah...the joys of trying to find anything but a Ruger or a C&B revolver....

The operative date is 10.21.1998.

You can buy any revolver, registered to a MA resident or held in a gun store inventory PRIOR to that date, or if it is on "The List".

But for guns registered/held on after that date, the gun must comply with the revised MA gun laws - including both the Approved List and the Attorney General's Regulations (which include such requirements as the dreaded Drop Test, the loaded round indicator, the hidden serial number and the 10 lb. trigger pull minimum).   In practical terms, unless the manufacturer is willing to submit multiple guns for destructive testing, after modifying their designs to meet these requirements, you will never find such guns on the Approved List.  It is also why we will probably never see high-end limited production pistols of any kind - why would the maker destroy thousands in inventory to obtain approval to sell a hundred guns in MA?

As far as I know, no modern gun manufacturer has submitted test results for single action cartridge cowboy pistols other than Ruger and S&W.  No Colts, no Ubertis, no Pietas.  That leaves us with Rugers and S&W Performance Center Schofields (rare birds) and maybe (?) converted C&B revolvers.  That's why you see cowboy shooters grazing through old local gun shops, looking for that Colt that some old timer unloaded, that has a demonstrable pedigree of MA ownership pre-10.21.1998.

LL

9 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Yeah...the joys of trying to find anything but a Ruger or a C&B revolver....

The operative date is 10.21.1998.

You can buy any revolver, registered to a MA resident or held in a gun store inventory PRIOR to that date, or if it is on "The List".

But for guns registered/held on after that date, the gun must comply with the revised MA gun laws - including both the Approved List and the Attorney General's Regulations (which include such requirements as the dreaded Drop Test, the loaded round indicator, the hidden serial number and the 10 lb. trigger pull minimum).   In practical terms, unless the manufacturer is willing to submit multiple guns for destructive testing, after modifying their designs to meet these requirements, you will never find such guns on the Approved List.  It is also why we will probably never see high-end limited production pistols of any kind - why would the maker destroy thousands in inventory to obtain approval to sell a hundred guns in MA?

As far as I know, no modern gun manufacturer has submitted test results for single action cartridge cowboy pistols other than Ruger and S&W.  No Colts, no Ubertis, no Pietas.  That leaves us with Rugers and S&W Performance Center Schofields (rare birds) and maybe (?) converted C&B revolvers.  That's why you see cowboy shooters grazing through old local gun shops, looking for that Colt that some old timer unloaded, that has a demonstrable pedigree of MA ownership pre-10.21.1998.

LL

Bleedin' Christ, that's insane.  :blink:
If someone owns a bunch of "Non-approved" single actions and moves there, can they legally bring them in? If so, once residency is established, can they sell them there?

On 12/20/2018 at 3:37 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

A few years ago, I saw an 18" Buntline Special made by Uberti at my favorite local gun shop.   For various foolish reasons, I didn't buy it in spite of the excellent price.

I've been kicking myself ever since.   So, I thought I'd try looking for one here.   Clearly if I saw one at my LGS, then there must be others that are Mass Compliant.   So, if anyone has one that they are willing to sell, please drop me a line and let me know how much you want for it.   I have no idea what they are going for today, so I'll just have to see how much you want for it before I can make a decision.  .44 Special, .44-40 or .45 Colt caliber. 

Of course, if you've got a 2nd Gen Colt in that configuration, I'd be willing to consider that as well.  (Do such animals even exist?)

HK:

Four Seasons in Woburn has a new in the box 1981 Buntline Special in .44 Special with a 12" barrel - and it's ONLY $4800!!!  That's the other effect of this "MA Compliant" stuff - it has driven the price of older guns (that avoid the requirements of the regulations) through the roof.

Look here:

https://fsguns.com/used/

LL

34 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Bleedin' Christ, that's insane.  :blink:
If someone owns a bunch of "Non-approved" single actions and moves there, can they legally bring them in? If so, once residency is established, can they sell them there?

J Bar:

As I understand it, these regulations and restrictions apply to dealers, and restrict transfers through dealers; there is no prohibition against owning one of the non-compliant guns; selling it to or through a MA dealer once you are here may be problematic.

LL

Didn't Massachusetts at one point in history used to actually believe in the rights of the individual? Maybe even the right of the individual to rebel against tyranny? What happened to that Massachusetts?  Didn't they even have a tea party celebrating this once?

2 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Didn't Massachusetts at one point in history used to actually believe in the rights of the individual? Maybe even the right of the individual to rebel against tyranny? What happened to that Massachusetts?  Didn't they even have a tea party celebrating this once?

You are thinking of Massachusetts in the age of the Yankee - a free-thinking, God-fearing independent merchant, whaler, farmer, fisherman or trader; men who understood the value of hard work, and demanded (and got) respect for their fortitude and moral fiber.  You'd be hard pressed to find many of these folks anymore (although there are some - just not in large numbers).

Same thing happened here that is happening in CA - Democrat super-majorities in the Legislature, and weak Repub governors who only got elected by making Democrat-type promises.  The majority of the voters here are not gun owners; many are urbanites, who have been conditioned to fear guns and to distrust gun owners.  

"You're surrounded; throw down your guns!"

Sigh......

Don't get me fired up.....I'm likely to start my rant about how the NRA turned its back on us.....

LL

Is there a state registry that requires residents to share what they own? How does the state know what you have, how you acquired it, when (October 1998) and where?

21 minutes ago, Johnny Reno said:

Is there a state registry that requires residents to share what they own? How does the state know what you have, how you acquired it, when (October 1998) and where?

It's a mixed bag.  If you buy through a dealer, the state gets a form that shows what you bought/sold.  

For the past couple of years, we are now required to report all private purchases, sales, inheritances or other transfers on a State-run website.  

According to my local PD, the sales records are only used to trace guns involved in crimes.  That does not make me feel any better about it.

And by the way, trying to use State records to show that a particular gun was registered to a MA owner prior to 1998 is a practical impossibility; the records are incomplete and in general disarray.

LL

1 minute ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

It's a mixed bag.  If you buy through a dealer, the state gets a form that shows what you bought/sold.  

For the past couple of years, we are now required to report all private purchases, sales, inheritances or other transfers on a State-run website.  

According to my local PD, the sales records are only used to trace guns involved in crimes.  That does not make feel better about it.

LL

Seems a perfect situation to create a "dual citizenship", perhaps in a neighboring free state. What a complete PITA.

1 minute ago, Johnny Reno said:

Seems a perfect situation to create a "dual citizenship", perhaps in a neighboring free state. What a complete PITA.

Some folks (who shall remain nameless) are already using NH or VT friends to receive reloading supplies; it is illegal to deliver components or loaded ammo to non-FFL individuals in MA.

LL

I have one here in MA that is MA compliant. But I believe it is 12”. It is 45LC. Great shape

email me if interested. rvb100@comcast.net

can do FA10 in January

When I briefly lived in Virginia, I purchased a then new Colt 1911.   When I was compelled to move home to Massachusetts due to family concerns, I did some checking, and I was told, if you acquired it legally in your state of residence, you can bring it with you when you move here.   You don't even need to register it.   Just make sure you get the Mass state Pistol Permit, or License to Carry, as they are called.   As to if you can SELL said gun, that is highly ambiguous.  Some people say yes, some people say no.

Speaking of ambiguity, until very recently, it was unclear what the status of C&R type guns was.   One line in the laws seemed to indicate that such guns were exempt from at least some of the laws, but some people said that no such exemption existed.   For that reason, many dealers would refuse to send a gun to a Mass C&R holder.  Then, a couple of years ago, in a rare fit of sanity, the Legislature actually fixed the wording of the law to make it clear C&R guns are exempt from the importation/prior registration rules, IF the person who wants to purchase said gun has a C&R.   It is not uncommon to go into a gunshop in Massachusetts and see the words, "For sale to C&R Holders only." or some variant of that disclaimer.  

But in spite of that, some places STILL won't sell to a Mass C&R holder, like Sarco Inc in Pennsylvania.   Then even told me that they knew the laws had been changed, and said they didn't care.  No sale.    In another bizarre twist, Massachusetts is the only state that the CMP won't sell a 1911 to a resident thereof.   I am not sure if it's because they won't sell them to C&R holders in general, and that's the only way they would sellable here anyway, or if it's some other reason.  I have heard, but been unable to confirm, that the law that takes away the ambiguousness of C&R guns doesn't really take affect until 2020.   If that's true, maybe that has something to do with it.   I don't know.

BTW, early AR 15's are over 50 years old... 

On 12/21/2018 at 6:08 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Look over the text of Massachusetts (explicative deleted) up gun laws.   They were clearly written by people who know nothing about guns.

10 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

When I briefly lived in Virginia, I purchased a then new Colt 1911.   When I was compelled to move home to Massachusetts due to family concerns, I did some checking, and I was told, if you acquired it legally in your state of residence, you can bring it with you when you move here.   You don't even need to register it.   Just make sure you get the Mass state Pistol Permit, or License to Carry, as they are called.   As to if you can SELL said gun, that is highly ambiguous.  Some people say yes, some people say no.

Speaking of ambiguity, until very recently, it was unclear what the status of C&R type guns was.   One line in the laws seemed to indicate that such guns were exempt from at least some of the laws, but some people said that no such exemption existed.   For that reason, many dealers would refuse to send a gun to a Mass C&R holder.  Then, a couple of years ago, in a rare fit of sanity, the Legislature actually fixed the wording of the law to make it clear C&R guns are exempt from the importation/prior registration rules, IF the person who wants to purchase said gun has a C&R.   It is not uncommon to go into a gunshop in Massachusetts and see the words, "For sale to C&R Holders only." or some variant of that disclaimer.  

But in spite of that, some places STILL won't sell to a Mass C&R holder, like Sarco Inc in Pennsylvania.   Then even told me that they knew the laws had been changed, and said they didn't care.  No sale.    In another bizarre twist, Massachusetts is the only state that the CMP won't sell a 1911 to a resident thereof.   I am not sure if it's because they won't sell them to C&R holders in general, and that's the only way they would sellable here anyway, or if it's some other reason.  I have heard, but been unable to confirm, that the law that takes away the ambiguousness of C&R guns doesn't really take affect until 2020.   If that's true, maybe that has something to do with it.   I don't know.

BTW, early AR 15's are over 50 years old... 

In Colorado the law mandating universal background checks specifically exempted antique firearms over 50 years old. Morons abound in state legislatures...

MA sucks.....hard.  Real hard.  The retardation is strong with all the politicians there...mittens is as bad as any of them.

Before you all wanna string me up, I'm 3rd gen Bostonian, born in the Faulkner hospital, grew up on Peak Hill rd before the folks moved out a bit.  We still have family property on the Cape where we go back several times a year.  Best fire works show around and maybe the last example of civil disobedience left in the state.

17 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

HK:

Four Seasons in Woburn has a new in the box 1981 Buntline Special in .44 Special with a 12" barrel - and it's ONLY $4800!!!  That's the other effect of this "MA Complaint" stuff - it has driven the price of older guns (that avoid the requirements of the regulations) through the roof.

Look here:

https://fsguns.com/used/

LL

$4800?   Good grief!   When I found my Colt, 12", .44 Special, Like NIB, It was less than 2 grand, less than  years ago, here in Mass.   As Loophole said used guns are much more expensive here than the rest of the country.   But wow...

I have a love hate relationship with Four Seasons.  Among other things they have gotten much more expensive.  I prefer Collectors in Stoneham

http://www.collectorsguns.com

I snagged a first gen Colt for 500 bucks thee last year.  (Bad chrome refinish.  Ugly, but a great shooter)

There were 2nd Generation Buntlines. One on GunBroker now with a Mfr date of 1967. As you know, anything 50 years and older is C&R OK. So use your C&R for something like this or a Ned Buntline or Wyatt Earp Commemorative.

Archived