SASS Wire Forum

Spurs 101

Tyrel Cody

No Hoss its from one of the most noted Texas photographers of the early 20 th century. Look at some of the other photos and you'll see they gave each other haircuts and shaves when out on the range working. I'm surprised that a Texan doesn't know who Erwin Smith was or the Amon Carter Museum.

Heres a link to the whole photo collection:

http://www.cartermuseum.org/collections/smith/about.php

Guest Grass Range #51406
2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Beautiful Spurs

For SASS I would skip the heel chains / straps. They are there to hold the spur in place and will keep the spur from moving up if it does hit something like stairs as you walk.

Those double chains will really be in the way in a stirup

Sometime I'll have to get a photo of it, but one of our local restaurant has a sign posted, "No Spurs Allowed". Chews up the chairs when ya move your feet around.

I have a pair of cheap spurs I wore to maybe two matches but haven't since. 

I've always liked the looks of Chilean spurs, but I'd probably hurt myself with them.

IMG_0578.jpg

3 hours ago, Bull Skinner said:

No Hoss its from one of the most noted Texas photographers of the early 20 th century. Look at some of the other photos and you'll see they gave each other haircuts and shaves when out on the range working. I'm surprised that a Texan doesn't know who Erwin Smith was or the Amon Carter Museum.

Heres a link to the whole photo collection:

http://www.cartermuseum.org/collections/smith/about.php

just yankin your chain a little! 

14 hours ago, MizPete said:

Spurs are cool.  But no spurs on the dance floor.

And always use caution when walking in and among chairs.

22 hours ago, Houston CAS said:

I have a pair of cheap spurs I wore to maybe two matches but haven't since. 

I've always liked the looks of Chilean spurs, but I'd probably hurt myself with them.

IMG_0578.jpg

These are the ones they warned ya about when they said not to squat with yer spurs on.

Everyone has their own ideals about a pair of Spurs.  I was born into a ranching family that started in the mid 1800's in Texas and I have been collecting spurs since I was 10 years old.  I have cowboyed my entire life.  The price of spurs will cost you today from $25 up to and over $3000.  You can wear your spur straps with the buckles inside or out side. You can wear them right side up or up side down its your choice.  My Grand Dad was born in the 1890's and he taught me how to wear and walk with my first pair of spurs.  The buckles on the outside and walk with your feet square to your body and that will keep you from getting hung up in the saddle if you get bucked off and will keep you from getting tangled up in the spurs  when you walk.   I wear the pull thru style from the 1800,s  That's worked for me for over 60 years.

Goatneck

On 12/19/2018 at 8:13 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

Before I jump in with a pair can y'all tell me the basics.

1. Are they really hard to walk in? Why?

2. Recommended type for CAS?

3. Budget Source?

4. Nicer Source(Lindholm Bros. is no more)?

Thanks ahead of time.

1.  Not hard, I just walk a little more flat footed.

2. Cheapest ones I could find.  Just for looks, ain't riding no horse.

3. Internet search

4. I go perhaps a half grade above cheap, I would never spend the money for Nice.

Cutter's Raiders had a buckboard on springs.  Shot both pistols and when I want to leap out of the buckboard for the rifle my one foot wanted to stay behind.  The one spur was caught between two floor boards.

Recommended type for CAS? 

Don't recommend them for shooting, dress up or costume wear.   Aint good for walking, running or dancing.   Made to use on a horse, if you have a clue.   If you have a clue you don't need spurs on a horse.   If you don't have a clue more than likely just help you to get bucked off.      

Bigger the rowel, more points on it, duller the points are, the easier the spur is on a horse.

Nickel silver, Don Ricardo's from the early  '40's with a bronc tie down under the heel.

spurm5.jpg

Bruce Haener's coin silver inlays on blued steel, silver concho.  Cord tie down on these.

spura3.jpg

Engraved nickel silver Ricardo's from the mid '50s.  No tie down.

art4.jpg

Montana XIT Cowboy,  just in from Texas,  Califonio spurs and saddle, late 1890s.  Leather tie downs.  Spur chains are not "tie downs".   Chains are there to add rhythm for your horse.   Small diameter, 12 point, sharp pointed rowels.  Pretty harsh spur for a horse.

xit.jpg

spur11.jpg

Crockett's from the early '30s.

crockett.jpg

12 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:
12 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:
On 12/20/2018 at 9:45 PM, MizPete said:

Spurs are cool.  But no spurs on the dance floor.

And always use caution when walking in and among chairs.

No, Sugar; I was more concerned with the threat to the ladies' skirts.

spurs are worn by the cool kids!!

This last year at HoW in Cheyenne, Wyoming ( a GREAT match BTW for those of you thinking of going...) a fella on my posse was wearing some absolutely gorgeous spurs. He got them from Bitterroot Saddle Company (available online). They were the Jeremiah Watt spurs. Well worth checking out if you love spurs and/or are a Classic Cowboy/Girl. Customizable upon ordering as well.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

This last year at HoW in Cheyenne, Wyoming ( a GREAT match BTW for those of you thinking of going...) a fella on my posse was wearing some absolutely gorgeous spurs. He got them from Bitterroot Saddle Company (available online). They were the Jeremiah Watt spurs. Well worth checking out if you love spurs and/or are a Classic Cowboy/Girl. Customizable upon ordering as well.

Those do look like some well made beautiful spurs, and for what iv'e seen some others go for the price doesn't seem to outrageous.

Archived