SASS Wire Forum

Leather care

High Speed Hillbilly

I have a Kirkpatrick long hunter 09 rig that’s brand new and is getting tore up pretty bad in dry fire. Anyone talk to them about what oils to use on the leather? Not sure what to use seeing as I think they are Kydex wrapped holsters. I checked their faq with no luck. Thanks in advance!

No oil is going to keep your leather from getting torn up. If you just don't like the difference in color of the scratched part just put some shoe polish on it, or some dye.

Lexol

1. 1 hour ago, High Speed Hillbilly said:

Wade-I’m assuming you called in the past and got no answer? 

Question was asked on a text message sent on an order response for holster return.  exchange was made but no response to question    GW

They told me  to use a good quality boot polish.  Oils will soften the leather, you don’t want that.

You might also consider chamfering the edges that are scraping the leather.

+1 on boot polish.  Have had a problem with wear on top lip of holster.  I coated the top edge of the flair with Super Glue. The glue creates a hard surface that allows the cylinder to slide over without biting into the leather.  Seems to be working good so far.    GW

Kali Leather Life is recommended by Kirkpatrick Leather. I bought it here on Amazon and it works great. Helps keep leather from scuffing too.                        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010BW3OOU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Kali stuff says it softens leather, so that probably wouldn't help. When you hit some soft leather with a sharp piece of steel, the leather is going to lose every time.

I'm a leather maker.  Even top quality rigs will wear out if you are using them heavily.  I made a nice aluminum lined set of holsters for one of our top local shooters and within a few months he had worn a hole in one where the edge of the cylinder was hitting the inside of the holster when he re holstered.  I only use American tanned Wickett & Craig leather and I was a little surprised to see the hole.  He admitted that he dry-fired every night, sometimes for a long periods of time.

He beveled the edges of his Rugers cylinders more and the hole has not seemed to grow much the last year or so.  My advise to him was to buy another set of identical holsters and practice with the older ones and keep the newer ones for matches.  You might be able to find a set of used identical Long Hunter Kirpatrick's for a lot less on the SASS Classifieds and use the more "experienced ones" for practice. 

Widder, who is known for is speed with a 97 shotgun, spends countless hours practicing with his 97s and, if I remember correctly, he's got two 97s set up just to dry fire with practice rounds everyday.

Another leather maker. Examine how much your holster sticks out from the belt.  Those that are made with the spacers or metal shaped stick out at an angle ( holster not 90 degrees to the ground viewed from the front or back). If your "habit" does not fit with the angle of the holster, you will tear a holster up quick. I prefer a holster that hugs the hip worn just in front of the hip made to turn the grip out. Red River Ray wears his high and about 3" out from his body. Cowboy Junky does also. 

Get a good holster (beg borrow steal or buy) that is fairly tight to the body and allows a straight down re holster of the revolver. Do some dry firing with a little speed and see if it works. I can always tell if someone is not made for this angle of holster. Bad skid marks on the body side of the holster. 

Use shoe polish. Don't use stuff that softens leather. 

The holster should be wet-fit to the gun.  If metal-lined, the metal lining could be formed out (with, say, a dowel that has the end rounded) until the leather is not torn by the cylinder.  Lexol Leather Conditioner applied LIGHTLY! IF the leather looks to be drying out. Do NOT overdo it!  The top of the holster should be curved out a bit to allow the cylinder to slide in without damaging the top edges. 

Happy Holidays, all!

KG9 LeatherKote works great to "slickup" the inside of the holsters.  Just a dab on your finger and rub it on where the cylinder and barrel make contact.  Once every couple of 2-3 months does it for me. A 2oz. bottle will last a life time.

image.png.40de35f0e0c9996eb8cc02997c678ea6.png

45 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

My LH09 holster.  I am not sure any leather care cream/oil can prevent it.  I even have my ejector housing, cylinder, etc rounded to remove the sharp edges.  These are about 4 years old and show the wear.

IMG_7199.thumb.jpg.04f30d90cbbf19099983f93028b25ca4.jpg

The area on the lip is where I brushed Super Glue on.   Smooth hard surface that seems to be holding up so far, at least no more damage yet.    GW

OK, here’s my secret but don’t say where you heard it:   MinWax Wood Hardner.  It is made to harden dry rotted wood, but it does the same thing on leather.  Even if your holsters are dry and soft, this stuff will harden it almost like Kydex.

If you use it be sure to wrap your gun in a plastic bag and put in the holster to keep the right shape until the Hardner is dry.

Archived