SASS Wire Forum

Uberti/Taylor New Model No. 3 Frontier

Flanigan Flats

Is there anybody out there shooting Uberti/Taylor New Model No. 3 Frontiers?  I know everyone wants them in 44 Russian.  I do to.  But 45 Schofield runs a close second, I guess.   I think I am going to order a pair of these tomorrow.  I would welcome some reviews if anyone has personal knowledge of them and maybe a pet Trail Boss load for 45 Schofield. Thanks.

I have a pair of Uberti/Taylor  5-inch New Model No. 3 Frontiers in 45 Colt.  They are very accurate revolvers.  I do not shoot them often.  Watch the screws holding the moveable rear blade.  I have had them come loose several times and the rear sight has almost fallen out.

Okay, the New Model 3 and the Schofield are not the same gun.    They are two very different designs.  

The "Model 3" is merely the size of the frame of the guns.   Three being the largest of the frames S&W was making at the time.   The original Model 3 was the S&W American, chambered in .44 S&W America  The next model 3 was the 1st model Russian, which looked just like the American, but was chambered in .44 Russian.   The next model 3 was the much more well known Russian with the trigger spur and big sharp knuckle on the grip frame.

The next model 3 was the Schofield.   It was very different from the previous model 3's, most noticeably in that the latch was on the frame, not the barrel.   Originals were all chambered for the .45 Schofield Cartidge.

This is an Uberti Schofield.

Schofield.thumb.jpg.db61b3bbae15b1241f937dc0d1fe75fc.jpg

Unlike the originals, this replica is in .45 Colt.

The next model 3 was a big deal for S&W.  They stopped making the American, Russian and Schofield and came out with the New Model 3.

This is a real S&W New Model 3

Model34440.thumb.JPG.cc44bdf720ad8ce02223e4500013e709.JPG

It's a .44-40.  As you can see, the latch is back on the barrel, like the original model 3's. 

Cimarron recently announced a reproduction American made by Uberti.   Uberti also makes reproduction Russians and Schofields.

A few years ago, Beretta marketed a New Model 3 with target sights called the Laramie.  I believe it is discontinued.

Unless something new is in the works that I don't know about, Uberti has never marketed a New Model 3 replica.

Looking at the Taylor Website, the New Model 3 replica there looks a lot like the Beretta to me, but I do not know.  It even has the adjustable rear sight that the Laramie had/has.

Could we see pics of your gun?  I am curious

I am very familiar with s&w model 3’s and the difference between models. I have 2 original new model 3’sin .44 Russian and a few s&w top break pocket pistols. I understand the difference between the various types of model 3’s. 

The uberti/Taylor replica is in 45 colt. I will most likely utilize 45 Schofield because it ejects better in the top break ejector design. I am looking for shooter reviews of the uberti/Taylor frontier model 3.

The Laramie was almost a copy of the New Model 3 target except had the half moon sight instead of the post and bead sight.  It was made by Uberti.  Some years later Uberti released a New Model 3 that looks very much like the long gone Laramies.  I have not seen the Uberti NM3 apart, but the schematics show a leaf main spring.  The Laramies had a coil main spring.  Not sure why the change but guessing easier parts compatibility.

Okay, that makes sense.  

I don't have one of the Taylor's you mention, so I can't offer any ideas.   I will say that my Uberti Schofield seems to be able to eject .45 Colts with no problem, so I've never bothered to try the Schofields, but I'll take you word for it that they work better in your gun.    Good luck with the purchase.

I will also say that New Model 3's are a lot of fun to shoot.  They fit my hands much better than the Schofield.   I have a pair of them, the above .44-40 and another in .38/44.  (I run .38 S&W's in it.)   To be honest, I'd enjoy getting a NM3 replica in .45 Colt.  I'd also like one of the soon to be released American's, probably in .44 Special, but alas, said guns are not legal to buy in Massachusetts.

Again, good luck!  :)

5 minutes ago, LostVaquero said:

The Laramie was almost a copy of the New Model 3 target except had the half moon sight instead of the post and bead sight.  It was made by Uberti.  Some years later Uberti released a New Model 3 that looks very much like the long gone Laramies.  I have not seen the Uberti NM3 apart, but the schematics show a leaf main spring.  The Laramies had a coil main spring.  Not sure why the change but guessing easier parts compatibility.

I still don't understand why they put the adjustable rear sight on those reproductions.    Makes them more "limited" in where they can be used.

I usually shoot Senior Duelist, but cannot use the Uberti/Taylors New Model No. 3 Frontier in that category due to the "adjustable" rear site, so I do not shoot them often.  There is not much of an advantage shooting them two handed as you cannot hold back the trigger and work the hammer - the action will jam.  Basically cock hammer, then pull trigger.  Ejecting empty shells is a two handed operation as you will have one hand on the grip and one pulling the latch back and then rotating the latch up - it is not the same as the Schofield.  

I shoot the New Model No. 3 Frontiers slower than my Colt replica single actions. I am able to pick up the sights very easily, but have had some people complain that the front sight is too thin and hard to see.  I like the front blade and the notch in the rear sight.  I also like the ability to adjust the sight.  Both guns are perfectly matched to shoot to the same point of impact.

I have only shot 45 Colt in my New Model No. 3 Frontiers and have not had much luck with Trail Boss loads.  My favorite 45 Colt loads use Tite Group or WW231 with 200 grain bullets.  Both guns are very accurate out to 25 yards.

As with several Ubertis that I own, the screws back out and need to be tightened often.  The screws on the rear sight are very small.

Overall, I like the guns, but would not choose them as my main SASS pistols if they were the only pistols that I own.

2 hours ago, Buzzard Bayne said:

I usually shoot Senior Duelist, but cannot use the Uberti/Taylors New Model No. 3 Frontier in that category due to the "adjustable" rear site, so I do not shoot them often.  

I thought adjustable sights were allowed in all aged based categories.

That's why I switched from Duelist to 49er so I could use my original with the target sights.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

That's why I switched from Duelist to 49er so I could use my original with the target sights.

Senior Duelist is not an age based category.

Age based categories: -

Buckaroo/Buckarette: 13 and under

Junior Boy/Junior Girl: 16 and under. -

Wrangler/Lady Wrangler: Age 36 and up.

Forty-Niner/Lady Forty-Niner: Age 49 and up. -

Senior/Lady Senior: Age 60 and up. -

Silver Senior/Lady Silver Senior: Age 65 and up. -

Elder Statesman/Grand Dame: Age 70 and up. -

Cattle Baron/Cattle Baroness: Age 75 and up. -

El Patron/La Patrona: Age 80 and up.

The one I have was converted to a "fixed sight" model.

Parts available from VTI .

The Beretta “Laramie” rear latch with the adjustable rear sight may be replaced with the rear latch (with fixed sight) from the “Russian” Model to be allowed as a fixed sight model revolver. 

SHB p.35

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Plus one to Tyrel Cody for his answer.  I will use them as a Senior and  shoot duelist style, but not compete as a Senior Duelist.

8 hours ago, Flanigan Flats said:

Ordered and on the way so we will see. 

I have a bunch of 45 schofields all loaded up and ready to go!!!

1 minute ago, Jasper Agate said:

I have a bunch of 45 schofields all loaded up and ready to go!!!

Yippie! I have been wanting to try something cool for awhile. I blame Brazo's for this particular rabbit hole!!! I ordered the above mentioned Russian latches. I don't wanna cause drama by shooting guns out of my category!

You always look COOL when you shoot!!!!! Over the years of shooting this game I've only known a hand full of shooters that will sacrifice speed for style and you sir are one of them!!!

Your friend,

Jasper

15 hours ago, Flanigan Flats said:

Good information on the latch. Any experience using replica replacement grip panels?

Hey Flanigan, I have replaced the grip on both of my Schofields with imitation ivory from Buffalo Brothers. They needed a little fitting but that was easy enough.

They list grips for S&W revolvers but not what model. I guess you could ask them what models they fit.

IMG_6146.JPG

Not sure about the Uberti NM3 but the Laramies the sight replacement was not a drop in affair.  Because of the rebounding hammer the latch was a bit different so the Russian latch had to be modified.  The Laramies had a small cut in the hammer that slipped into the latch for the hammer to strike the primer.  The latch then had a sort small shelf.  The Russian latch lacked such a shelf and unmodified the hammer will not move forward enough to strike the primer.  So a shelf has to be ground into the Russian latch.

16 hours ago, Jasper Agate said:

You always look COOL when you shoot!!!!! Over the years of shooting this game I've only known a hand full of shooters that will sacrifice speed for style and you sir are one of them!!!

Your friend,

Jasper

I must be one of the others. At least that’s what you said when I was shooting the 10 gauge Greener haha 

9 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

I must be one of the others. At least that’s what you said when I was shooting the 10 gauge Greener haha 

Yep!!!

14 hours ago, LostVaquero said:

Not sure about the Uberti NM3 but the Laramies the sight replacement was not a drop in affair.  Because of the rebounding hammer the latch was a bit different so the Russian latch had to be modified.  The Laramies had a small cut in the hammer that slipped into the latch for the hammer to strike the primer.  The latch then had a sort small shelf.  The Russian latch lacked such a shelf and unmodified the hammer will not move forward enough to strike the primer.  So a shelf has to be ground into the Russian latch.

Howdy

This is the latch of an actual S&W New Model Number Three. Notice the shelf on the bottom of the latch.

latch.jpg

The hammer has a relief cut into it to clear the shelf when the hammer is all the way forward. This feature prevents the latch from being opened with the hammer all the way forward. The upper lip of the clearance on the hammer will not allow the latch to be lifted.

hammeratrest02.jpg

When the hammer is set back to the 'half cock' position, the latch can be opened. The half cock position also allows the cylinder to spin. It will not spin with the hammer all the way forward.

halfcock02.jpg

Russians had the same features, I just don't have very clear photos of my Russian showing these features.

Here is the hammer of my Russian all the way forward. Notice the shelf on the latch prevents the latch from lifting to open.

hammerdown.jpg

With the hammer at the 'half cock' position, the latch can be opened, and the cylinder is free to spin.

halfcock.jpg

I was finally able to get my paws on these today!!!  Taylor's and UPS did not play nice. Then the FFL dealer took the 24th-26th off.  It will be the weekend before I can shoot them, so I guess no it really did not hurt much other than my patience.  They feel good in my hands. My left hand is going to take a bit of practice.  I included a picture with my original.  

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4692.JPG

On 12/19/2018 at 2:35 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

Senior Duelist is not an age based category.

Age based categories: -

Buckaroo/Buckarette: 13 and under

Junior Boy/Junior Girl: 16 and under. -

Wrangler/Lady Wrangler: Age 36 and up.

Forty-Niner/Lady Forty-Niner: Age 49 and up. -

Senior/Lady Senior: Age 60 and up. -

Silver Senior/Lady Silver Senior: Age 65 and up. -

Elder Statesman/Grand Dame: Age 70 and up. -

Cattle Baron/Cattle Baroness: Age 75 and up. -

El Patron/La Patrona: Age 80 and up.

So a 30 year old can shoot in Senior Duelist??? Man is that ever messed up!!!:wacko: 

5 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So a 30 year old can shoot in Senior Duelist??? Man is that ever messed up!!!:wacko: 

No. You'd have to be 60 to shoot Senior Duelist, but that does NOT make it an age based category.

Archived