SASS Wire Forum

Boogie Short Stroke

Snakebite

I would like to talk to somebody that has personally installed the Shotgun Boogie Short Stroke kit in their Ruger Vaqueros. I have a couple questions

snakebite4767@yahoo.com

tnx

Snakebite

Got it done. The SS kit itself was not too difficult to install, however, making it work correctly took me a while and was a learning experience for sure.  A good place to start is Larsen Pettifoger's article in the Jan 2013 issue of the Chronicle. As always, Larsen did a good job of it. Also there are some updates on Boogie's web page that you need to look at.  One thing that you need to read twice, is that this is NOT a drop in and be done kit. The cylinder latch (bolt) needs some adjusting with a grinder/file, and the Pawl (hand) will most likely need some major tweeking, or at least mine did.  In-out-in-out-in-out-in until you get the cylinder to cycle without locking up. On mine, the lower tooth on the Pawl was too high and making contact before the top tooth was free. Changing out the firing pin spring wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I had to remove material at the inside bottom of the grip frame so that there was room for the Hammer stop. My older New Vaqueros were different in side, with a lockable Hammer strut. If you have one of these, you need to order a different Hammer stop. One of the biggest problems that I eventually found after working over the Pawl, was that the ratchet on the back of the cylinder was rougher than a cob. Every tooth on the ratchet had a burr on it. After removing the burrs  with a Swiss file things smoothed out very nicely. 

This installation is certainly doable, but IMO, if you are not a pretty good "Shade Tree" Smith, you ought to just have it done. 

I just want to reiterate that all the fitting is NOT because of the parts, but because of the Rugers vary so much. The parts are an example of German Engineering at it's best.

Archived