SASS Wire Forum

Anyone Use This Type Of Brass Picker???

Cholla

It has taken two months for my knees to recover from the last shoot so I am shopping for a brass picker that works fast and well. I just bought a grabber from Menards but I also saw this, which looks too good to be true. Anyone ever use such a critter?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broom-Ammo-Picker-Upper-Rifle-Pistol-Brass-223-9mm-Wizard-ammunition-Collector/231644556554?hash=item35ef176d0a:g:M1AAAOSwjVVVw219:rk:7:pf:0

not so sure how it wud work on gravel,, and reviews weren't good at all on sand,,,,,  pricey too 

Looks like it works with brass but what are the conditions at the ranges you shoot at?

It may also pick up stones .

When I pick brass there is usually only 10 rifle and 4 shotgun to pickup. If you can start picking as soon as the rifle is put down and stay out of the way of the shooter it doesn't take long . Walmart sells a bait net in sporting goods dept that works very good for the spent brass .sorry no pictures.  CATLOW 

Thanks, hadn't seen the small one before only the small street sweeper model for commercial use.  To me the problem would be it's kind of spendy and I would think it would pick up a lot of small rocks, twigs and other range debris.     I use a grabber and small bucket with a screen in the bottom.    GW

We had a shooter try one on our range and after only two stages he put it away.  It was actually kinda labor intensive to pick up the casings.  Our range is in the mountains and we have lots of stick, stones, etc.  What we use and see used the most are the grabber tools that you can buy almost anywhere and another homemade tool to hold in the other hand to drop the brass into. 

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

My first BP was one of those. The suction cups came off after only a few matches.

I do lots of brass picking and have lost a number of the suction cups, tried epoxy, etc.  So now I check them regularly to make sure they are tight.  Someone suggested replacing the tiny screw for the suction cup with a small nut and bolt that goes all the way through the rubber of the cup, and then they never fall off.  I will do that next.  

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

My first BP was one of those. The suction cups came off after only a few matches.

When the cups wear out replace them with these. 

EZ Reacher Silicone Replacement Cups, 6 Pair Pack

I quit buying the cheap reachers. Ones I have now are 1 piece and 40 Inches long. Costs more but they are worth it.

ArcMate EZ Reacher

But wait, there's more. Not only does it pick up brass and hulls, but it picks up stones, sand, leaves, and sticks as well. What would you pay for this versatile tool? $9.99, $18.99, $29.99? No, You can have this for the one time payment of only $64.99. Order now. Operators are standing by.

I got one of the rolling nut pickers from Ace for about $35.00.

Largo

12 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Largo

And them rolling nuts are the hardest to pick up.:P

4 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I do lots of brass picking and have lost a number of the suction cups, tried epoxy, etc.  So now I check them regularly to make sure they are tight.  Someone suggested replacing the tiny screw for the suction cup with a small nut and bolt that goes all the way through the rubber of the cup, and then they never fall off.  I will do that next.  

I did that on mine.  Works great and never have to worry about one of them coming off

On 12/18/2018 at 1:15 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

When the cups wear out replace them with these. 

EZ Reacher Silicone Replacement Cups, 6 Pair Pack

I quit buying the cheap reachers. Ones I have now are 1 piece and 40 Inches long. Costs more but they are worth it.

ArcMate EZ Reacher

+1

They are what I use, never had a problem. NOT expensive. Easy to use.

:ph34r:  +100 on the ArcMate.  One-piece handle, quality material.  I've gone through several of the cheap folding types. 

Biggest frustration is when I go to shoot and find my replacement leaning on my picker like it was a cane.....

Use a sieve from houseware aisle of WalMart

inserted into a golf club shaft for brass collection.  Lets the sand pour out before I get it to the ULT.....

Like what Rancho Roy said. I bought one and tried it, don't work for crappola! Works OK on shotgun empties, but not on our brass. Also hard to use on grass , dirt , etc. Great on concrete.  Waste of $$$.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:50 PM, largo casey #19191 said:

Largo

How well does it work? I've wondered if a pecan picker would work. 

Tried one when they first came out. Works great on smooth hard surface (concrete) but doesn't work well on soft dirt, gravel or sand.

JM

Yes, this is based on the pecan picker.  I have used it.  It does depend on the surface.  I liked it.  Took some getting used to the manipulation.  Others at the club didn't care for it and they fell out of favor.  But it saved on the lower back.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:13 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I ordered replacements that came with nuts and bolts.  They've been working for years.

Noticed guys using pecan pickers have trouble around props with corners and walls.    GW

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:15 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

You have to bore a hole all the way through the cup and use a small bolt with lock washers, tighten firmly, and you are ready to go again.

Like Miss Allie, I like a short-stroked no-suction-cup picker.  I'll pick up with my bare hands before I'll pay for that $65.00 one.

Archived