SASS Wire Forum

Hickock45 review of new Marlin 1894 357 Magnum

Warden Callaway

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So many of you seem to want nothing more than to see the Remington Marlins fail.  

How sad...

The new Marlins that I've sold off late are nice looking and functioning rifles... But hell, if the little Buds Brown Noser says it's so it must be so.

Phantom

It's the inconsistency of fitment, that has folks like me wondering WTH is going on.

The tang fitment in the OP's video was really bad.....

I really want Marlin to continue-I just wonder, at times, if Remmy does. -_-

Phantom, have you seen a consistent improvement in the Marlin QC of late?

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It's the inconsistency of fitment, that has folks like me wondering WTH is going on.

The tang fitment in the OP's video was really bad.....

I really want Marlin to continue-I just wonder, at times, if Remmy does. -_-

Phantom, have you seen a consistent improvement in the Marlin QC of late?

OLG

Yes ;)

Hickcock45 had a hard time not bashing the gun he reviewed. It's not his style but he came close.

Although the gun "functioned", when you pay $650+ for a rifle, you expect it to be more than functional.

Cowboy shooters will will in time add a patina of wear but not all buyers are cowboy shooters. When the obvious flaws are noticeable by the novice, one must question the rest of the guns quality as well.  

Remington has not done a very good job of reproducing the quality that the Marlin once had. They have had more than ample time to do so, yet they continue to put out a second rate product at a 1st rate price. It is sad to see this happen to a gun that was once cherished by its users. 

My 2 cents.

On 12/20/2018 at 3:31 AM, Warden Callaway said:

Is there an update report on the Marlin that you gave the once-over?   Have they given it a good field test?

I was able to talk with the owner of the Remlin .44

His Cowboy name is 'Twitty'.    With all the rain cancellation of Cowboy shoots, he told me

he hasn't fired it yet.    Sooooooooooo, looks like the jury is still out on its performance.

..........Widder

This past weekend got back from a wild bunch match.  Took the Remlin Limited Edition in 45 colt.  I also took reloas to mixed bullet and powder and factory loads also mixed.  Now the rifle has had one piece firing pin, lighter springs and ranger point extractor put in and that is it.  I had nary a problem with the rifle, no hitches, no glitches just my fingers slipping slightly becuase I have not put a lever wrap on it.  Love the engraving, gold accent and the high polish wood.

I am about middle of tje pack shooter so no idea at hyper velocity but tried with dummy rounds as fast as I could go and again no hitches except one got caught in the port.  Small tilt and out it went.  Guessing me not quite getting a full throw on the lever. 

Archived