SASS Wire Forum

Hickock45 review of new Marlin 1894 357 Magnum

Warden Callaway

Remmy is still hav'n a lot of fitment issues after all this time.

That tells me they really don't care......:(

WTH is this deal with the square drive butt-stock cover screws? :huh::rolleyes:

I'll stick with my JM marked rifles.

OLG

Well at least it worked, some of the earlier ones....

I have a Remilin LE 45 Colt I use for WB.  Now that is much better fitted but again I am guessing because it is supposed to be a higher end model.  I put in the one piece firing pin and spring kit and that is it and so far has not let me down.

The rest are JM marked.  Feel kinda bad that the 38 cowboy comp now is the backup, but I do like the little 32 Marlin and no, keeping the CBC. 

The 1895 gets out periodically for long range side matches.

Straight Arrow has ordered one from and he and I will be doing a from box to match review video as well as a follow up video after some light tuning (simple stuff new pin and springs). Should be fun and some actual real world CAS experience. 

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

WTH is this deal with the square drive butt-stock cover screws?

Tacticool! 

Looks to me like an assembled kit. 

If I won one as a door prize and couldn't sale or trade it,  I would take the wood off and fix the fit.   I may go so far as to take some of "fat" off the forend wood. I'd take a Dremal tool and howg out the wood under the tangs and inside cuts and bed with Acraglas.  You can see whoever laid out the blank to cut the buttstock was flipping burgers in his past job and should go back to flipping burgers. The wood grain at the wrist is oriented so it's bound to split off.  Also, the gap at the rear of the tang will leave all the recoil impact on the thin wood where it meets the reciever.   I'd probably have to refinish the metal parts, save the barrel.  Then the mechanical will need attention.  

I told before about picking one up at local gun store and working the lever.  It reminded me of cocking a Daisy BB gun. I handed it to Sawmill Mary to try.  She gave it a yank and the gun just twisted.  She had to anchor the buttstock under her arm and against her rib cage to open it.  She handed it back and said, "That will never do.". 

2 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Straight Arrow has ordered one from and he and I will be doing a from box to match review video as well as a follow up video after some light tuning (simple stuff new pin and springs). Should be fun and some actual real world CAS experience. 

I’m really interested in watching that when it’s done! 

20 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

I'm look'n forward to see'n this:excl:

Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this:excl:

OLG

22 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That guy did a great job and really improved the lines of a previously clunky-looking rifle. On page four of the thread he gives a detailed description of how he did the refinishing. I learn something new every day!

Considering the price of a Marlin vs a pretty 73,

if I were a newer shooter that wanted to start CAS on the cheap I'd shoot the Marlin if it worked well. The rifle's going to get beat to hell after a couple years. My rifles all look like I beat them with a chain.

Fit and finish means little compared to the mechanics of the gun.

51 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Considering the price of a Marlin vs a pretty 73,

if I were a newer shooter that wanted to start CAS on the cheap I'd shoot the Marlin if it worked well. The rifle's going to get beat to hell after a couple years. My rifles all look like I beat them with a chain.

Fit and finish means little compared to the mechanics of the gun.

Pretty well agree with you. Fit and finish on a working gun is not even on my radar. How does it work.....thats whats important to me.

1 hour ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Pretty well agree with you. Fit and finish on a working gun is not even on my radar. How does it work.....thats whats important to me.

What I notice, is just how much lighter the M/94 is when compared to a '73 or '66.

As one ages(I'll be 68 in March), the weight can become very crucial.

OLG 

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What I notice, is just how much lighter the M/94 is when compared to a '73 or '66.

OLG 

I have a Winchester Miroku 73 but I realized it was in the safe all of 2018.  I shot one or another Marlin 1894.  I enjoy my 1894c because it's light and short. I have an old Marlin 1894SRC in 32-20 that is nearly as handy.  

10 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I have a Winchester Miroku 73 but I realized it was in the safe all of 2018.  I shot one or another Marlin 1894.  I enjoy my 1894c because it's light and short. I have an old Marlin 1894SRC in 32-20 that is nearly as handy.  

A '92 Win is also lighter than a '66/'73. How does a '92 compare to a Marlin '94 weight-wise? It's been awhile since I've handled a Marlin.

26 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

A '92 Win is also lighter than a '66/'73. How does a '92 compare to a Marlin '94 weight-wise? It's been awhile since I've handled a Marlin.

Good question-Wish I knew.........

I do like the simplicity of the M/94, when compared to the others.

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

8 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Good question-Wish I knew.........

I do like the simplicity of the M/94, when compared to the others.

OLG

I don't have a Rossi 92, but:

Marlin 1894C .357  6lbs 6oz.

IMG_20181219_192141764-800x600.jpg.c81af7c1157162477c8488f19f05eef7.jpg

Winchester(Miroku) 1873 20" .357 7lb 6.5ozIMG_20181219_192202293-800x600.jpg.2e4a4916327daef068aa935d5390c692.jpg

Winchester(original) 1892 24" Octagon bbl 32WCF 6lbs 12oz. I can't imagine a Rossi would be heavier.IMG_20181219_192357315-800x600.jpg.cfddf9e04e7d22079dd6163aa3370baf.jpg

Back in October 21st., I post my findings and tuning results on the Wire

about a NEW Remlin in .44 spl/.44 mag.

Hopefully, I will try to post those comments here:

(can't seem to get it to copy)

..........Widder

TNX for the pictures TC:excl:

With my M/94, .44 round bbl carbine(18"bbl). I would bet it would be a couple ounces lighter than the .357.

Widder, can you post a link to the thread?

I remember that tread-Just can't find it. :huh::rolleyes:

OLG

19 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Here you go Widder - link to your thread. One needs to read the rest of the contents IMO, including yours in addition to your OP. It's a great post, thanks for putting it up!

https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/280038-new-remlin-44-magspl-my-thoughts/

44 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I don't have a Rossi 92, but:

Marlin 1894C .357  6lbs 6oz.

Winchester(Miroku) 1873 20" .357 7lb 6.5oz

Winchester(original) 1892 24" Octagon bbl 32WCF 6lbs 12oz. I can't imagine a Rossi would be heavier.

Thanks for the data, that seems about right. I'm guessing the Marlin I handled and the Rossi I used to own weigh a tad less since they were both .45s.

I have a Marlin .38-55 for medium distance matches. It is beautiful, super accurate and fun to shoot.  I bought it when I was 15, before most on here were born, It is a Model 36 in .35 Remington. It was my saddle gun. Everyone else had a .30-30 Winchester. It is STILL my saddle gun, has taken its share of game and varmints and looks pretty good. They were  REAL Marlins and worth every penny.

Despite the BS on the Wire, my SASS match rifle is a .45 Colt Henry Big Boy. After 2 decades of Warthog loads of Holy Black, it has never let me down.

I looked into the new Remlins and they sure as little apples ain't the same quality.  <_<

OOOPs. My teen aged rifle was the Model 36.

34 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

How did the wood to metal fitment on the one in your post, compare to the OP's video?

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How did the wood to metal fitment on the one in your post, compare to the OP's video?

OLG

Lumpy,

The wood to metal fit was very good.

Because it was a Remlin, I checked it out closely.   Other than 'fat wood' on the forearm, it was

a darn nice rifle.

..........Widder

On 10/21/2018 at 2:08 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

An acquaintance ask me to work on his new REMLIN .44 mag/.44 special.

(for those wondering, REMLIN is often used for the Remington made Marlin).

I agreed with one exception..... I would smooth it up and check out its functioning, reliability, etc.....

BUT, I wouldn't promise a good, reliable rifle in return.   PLUS, also wouldn't charge normal

work fees because I wouldn't be giving the rifle a Widdermatic mod, etc.....

Anyhow, I was pleased with everything inside the rifle.   I didn't see any

bad machine marks or metal shavings in the rifle.

I inspected the mag tube and it was clean.   All in all, it was a fine rifle, considering its stiffness and rough feeling.

There were 2 areas that I felt needed some extra attention:

1.   Although I didn't 'mic' the chamber, it was on the tight side of SAAMI specs.   My dummy rounds were a

little sticky at times while functioning them in the rifle.

2.  The 'slot' where the rear section of the carrier  is placed inside the receiver was super tight.   Almost to tight for the carrier to 

pivot up and down freely.   I took a small diamond file to smooth up this area and I polished the 

rear area of the carrier and now everything feels good and smooth for the carrier to pivot freely.

After putting in a 1-piece firing pin, stainless mag tube follower,  and changing out a couple springs, PLUS smoothing up a couple critical areas that I normally work on,  this particular .44 Remlin should be a nice rifle and function well.

And one more thing:   the timing is VERY GOOD for both the .44 Mag and the .44 Spl.  

I will recommend to the owner that he consider sending his carrier to Gunner Gatlin to have

his timing 'perfected', but otherwise, this rifle should serve him well.

Just thought I would share a little feedback on this experience.   

..........Widder

On 10/21/2018 at 7:32 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Hey LUMPY:   this particular Remlin has the extractor hole drilled center of the FP hole.  And the

Extractor spring already had ample tension to the Extractor without being overly stiff.

Howdy WARDEN:   I have no plans to be an 'active' smith for Marlins.   The occasional Henry .22 that

I get fills up my spare time.   I like having lots of time for shooting and Marlin work interferes with that.

But, if I decide to buy a new Marlin,  it looks like I would be getting a good rifle, based on the quality

of this .44 that I just slicked.

This .44 turned out very nice and the owner will probably be proud of it.

I did go back in it and thoroughly polish up the tight chamber.  

The dummy rounds no longer stick and cause rough extractions.

..........Widder

On 10/21/2018 at 11:56 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Gateway KID:  I have no idea on its manufacture date.    The serial number has a prefix of  'MR'   and a

suffix letter of 'E'. 

Sadalia Dave:   Thanks for posting.   There are some small (VERY SMALL) marking on the barrel at the receiver

but with my magnifying glass, I couldn't make out letters/numbers.

JABEZ:    Howdy my good friend.   The wood to metal is darn NICE.   The wood stock fits the

receiver area and tang area really nice.   Its flush with the metal with no gaps.

The forearm is tight and doesn't wiggle BUT.... its overly fat.

The finish is VERY THIN, as you mentioned.  

It has a checkered stock and forearm but its more like a pressed in imprint.

All in all, a nicely put together rifle.

..........Widder

Above are 3 post I made on my previous experience with a new Remlin and answers to

a few questions I was ask.

..........Widder

Abilene Slim,

Thanks.    I finally figured out how to add previous post to another thread.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

Oh yea, I might add that I look forward to Duece's report.  A video on the 'Before & After' will be

very interesting to see.

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Abilene Slim,

Thanks.    I finally figured out how to add previous post to another thread.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

Oh yea, I might add that I look forward to Duece's report.  A video on the 'Before & After' will be

very interesting to see.

..........Widder

Is there an update report on the Marlin that you gave the once-over?   Have they given it a good field test?

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Is there an update report on the Marlin that you gave the once-over?   Have they given it a good field test?

Howdy Warden.

I'm gonna try to call the owner today.   He lives in N.C.   And if he gives me permission

to mention his name on the Wire, I will.

And I will honestly share his comments, good or not.

This I do know:  he hasn't called me either to brag or complain.   So, I don't know what that means... :lol:;)

..........Widder

So many of you seem to want nothing more than to see the Remington Marlins fail.  

How sad...

The new Marlins that I've sold off late are nice looking and functioning rifles... But hell, if the little Buds Brown Noser says it's so it must be so.

Phantom

I recently bought a Marlin '94 Cowboy in 44mag/spcl.  While this fit and finish looked good, the rifle would not cycle (FYI - Cabela's wont let you remove trigger safety in the stores - thats why I couldn't cycle in store).

Had to sent it back to Remlin for a fix.  It now seems ok but still stiff (less than 50 rounds thru so far).  I have gotten the Marlin "jam" a couple times. 

I've seen a couple mention of folks that tune and address the jam issue.  Any recommendations?  I did but a lighter main spring in already.

Liberty Jack

Archived