SASS Wire Forum

Replacement part for Lewis Lead Remover

Sandhills Slim, SASS #22998

Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement for the rubber sleeve on a Lewis Lead Remover?  I have found where you can obtain the entire head less the rod but all I need is the replacement rubber.  They seem to deteriorate pretty quickly.   38 caliber.  

Can't help you on the part, but check out brass wool. 000 or 00 wrapped around a used brass brush works much better and faster than the lewis tool ever will. Scrub it back and forth 3 or 4 times and the barrel is clean as a whistle. Doesn't hurt to soak it in hoppes or some such. I hung my lewis tool up 10 years ago and haven't touched it since.

Assuming you are Cowboy shooting -

Fit the bullet properly to the bore of the gun, use a Brinnell 8 or 10 bullet instead of hard alloy, and a good lube.   You WILL NOT have leading that has to be removed. 

Good luck, GJ

5 hours ago, Bones Z said:

Can't help you on the part, but check out brass wool. 000 or 00 wrapped around a used brass brush works much better and faster than the lewis tool ever will. Scrub it back and forth 3 or 4 times and the barrel is clean as a whistle. Doesn't hurt to soak it in hoppes or some such. I hung my lewis tool up 10 years ago and haven't touched it since.

Yep, bronze wool wrapped tight on an old brush, that's what I do. Plus one size fits all. just add more bronze wool.

Perhaps it would be easier to figure out why there is lead in the barrel.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_7_Leading.htm

The only time I considered a Lewis Lead Remover was when I loaded some swaged semi wad cutter bullets in a 357. An old version of Shooter's Choice took care of it. I only shot lead pistol bullets (wheel weights) and while I get a few flakes of lead when cleaning with Ed's Red, that's it. It is my understanding that mixing jacketed and lead bullets is a bad idea as far as barrel contamination.

15 hours ago, Bones Z said:

I've used "Copper wool" the same way with good results other than all the little pieces of it everywhere. Just bring a magnet when you buy it as some is copper plated steel---you don't want that!

Archived