SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA dead?

County Jr

..I shoot Colt SAA's and I don't worry about parts failures.  Wear out a sear?  A gunsmith can fix it.  Replacements parts are fairly easy to find, and gunsmiths seem to have a no problems getting what they need.  How do you wear out the frame?  Removable bushings, they're out there.  Heck, I lucked into a deal on a half dozen I don't think I'll ever need.  Cylinders and triggers, I see on eBay all the time.  I use them for CAS and have no regrets.  

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how you wear out a cylinder bushing but they do develop some wear in length.  Ron Powers of Powers Customs makes a shim 10 for $15.50.  

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004130741/power-custom-endshake-bearing-1st-and-2nd-generation-colt-single-action-002-package-of-10

Here are the custom handgun parts made by Powers Customs - many for Roogers.  If there was a need, someone will fill it. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=/_/N-23855+4294965736?No=0&Np=2&Nr=AND%28p_visible%3A1%2Ccustomertypeid%3A1%29&Nrpp=24&Ns=p_metric_sales_velocity%7C1&Ntpc=1&Ntpr=1&userItemsPerPage=48&persistedItemsPerPage=0

My grandma used to keep a plastic cover on her couch and even then she didn’t want us to sit on it. At an early age I wondered what was the point of owning something if you’re not going to use it. I have a pair of Colts and a pair of USFAs and I run  ‘em both hard and clean ‘em once a year whether they need it or not. If they break I’ll get ‘em fixed. They’re just pistols.

A pard of mine had no trouble getting 7 1/2" barrels for a couple COLTS he bought from me! He sold the 4 3/4" barrels. 

(You know who you are if you're reading this:P)

I have been shooting the same two Colt  second gen's since 2001 or 2001.   Not one broken part.  Not one.  

Can't imagine how many thousand rounds have been down the tube.   Especially in the early days when

I used to practice a lot.   In addition, they belonged to Cody Conager before I got them,.  You wouldn't

believe me if I told you how many rounds he estimated he had shot them.   If they are tuned right, they

will last forever!  Just like a Rolex.      

Well, life is too short not to take every opportunity to make yourself happy. If you want colts, get em and shoot em.  I have colts, rugers, and usaf - shoot them all. 

Gringo

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I’m going to respectfully disagree. There’s nothing wrong with Colts, I own two, but there’s nothing particularly special about them either.  I’m not going to pay 2 grand extra for a picture of a pony and the word Colt on my revolvers. 

Bill, you pay 2k for a Colt, in ten years it'll be worth 2K or probably more! You pay $500.00 for a Ruger or Uberti and 10 years later you'll be lucky to get $300.00. Do the math!

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Bill, you pay 2k for a Colt, in ten years it'll be worth 2K or probably more! You pay $500.00 for a Ruger or Uberti and 10 years later you'll be lucky to get $300.00. Do the math!

That may be true Rye, but if I want to invest I’ll buy stocks, bonds, real estate, etc. I buy guns to shoot. They get banged up and worn out.

When I buy a gun I’m looking for reliability, performance, fun to shoot, not return on investment. I’ll shoot my cowboy guns till they die, or I do. The same with my SD guns. Will a matched set of Colts help me perform better than my Rugers at Georgia State next year? If so I might be willing to pay the premium, but I don’t think they will. 

The pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag my dad gave me won’t be shot much, it’s not really a gun to me, it’s a collectible. The same for the Colt 1911 manufactured in 1917, it’s not an EDC like my Colt Commander, it’s a collectible and will rarely be shot. 

In a hundred years that 1911 may be worth quite a bit more than it is now, a 3rd gen Colt SAA manufactured in 2012, I don’t think so.

Just my .02 cents and no offense intended.

3 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

That may be true Rye, but if I want to invest I’ll buy stocks, bonds, real estate, etc. I buy guns to shoot. They get banged up and worn out.

When I buy a gun I’m looking for reliability, performance, fun to shoot, not return on investment. I’ll shoot my cowboy guns till they die, or I do. The same with my SD guns. Will a matched set of Colts help me perform better than my Rugers at Georgia State next year? If so I might be willing to pay the premium, but I don’t think they will. 

The pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag my dad gave me won’t be shot much, it’s not really a gun to me, it’s a collectible. The same for the Colt 1911 manufactured in 1917, it’s not an EDC like my Colt Commander, it’s a collectible and will rarely be shot. 

In a hundred years that 1911 may be worth quite a bit more than it is now, a 3rd gen Colt SAA manufactured in 2012, I don’t think so.

Just my .02 cents and no offense intended.

Agree to disagree then, I think a Colt from 2012 in a hundred years would be worth waaaaay more than now! Sad thing is neither of us will ever know!:lol: Have a good one my friend!;) Enjoy whatever you shoot!!

38 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Where are you finding new Ruger Vaqueros for $500? Or really even 10 year old Vaqueros? They seem to hold there value fairly well.

BTW I get what you mean and agree. 

On 12/16/2018 at 2:51 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

But it is not a Colt...

In six words Phantom nailed it. 

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

A pard of mine had no trouble getting 7 1/2" barrels for a couple COLTS he bought from me! He sold the 4 3/4" barrels. 

(You know who you are if you're reading this:P)

And they shoot a lot better than when you had them. You were feeding em that awful smokeless stuff.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

May I borrow your crystal ball or get the contact info of your fortune teller?  :D:P

9 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

May I borrow your crystal ball or get the contact info of your fortune teller?  :D:P

I've sold Colts in the past that I've had and SHOT for 10 years or more and either made a few bucks or got my money back!

4 Colt .45's...sold for at least $100.00 more that I paid and shot the heck out of them!

3 Colt .44-40's that I sold for MORE that I paid and shot the heck out of those too!

Is this good enough for you??:blink:

27 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

If Colt does stop producing the SAA, values will plummet like all of those quail I missed.

USFA's stopped producing SAA's and the value went up!!! Colts will do the same!

1 hour ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

If Colt does stop producing the SAA, values will plummet like all of those quail I missed.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

USFA's stopped producing SAA's and the value went up!!! Colts will do the same!

Hey Rye, read his post carefully; he's agreeing with you...

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Hey Rye, read his post carefully; he's agreeing with you...

Okay what am I missing with his "values will plummet like all those quail I missed"??? I'm assuming he means values will plummet??

Educamate me!!:P:lol:

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Okay what am I missing with his "values will plummet like all those quail I missed"??? I'm assuming he means values will plummet??

Educamate me!!:P:lol:

MISSED Quail fly away UP into the sky!

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Agree to disagree then, I think a Colt from 2012 in a hundred years would be worth waaaaay more than now! Sad thing is neither of us will ever know!:lol: Have a good one my friend!;) Enjoy whatever you shoot!!

Thanks Rye!

Not totally related, but perhaps interesting.  When Colt SAA came out you could buy one for a $20 gold piece (which weighed approximately one ounce).  Today one ounce of gold is worth approximately $1250, which is just about (maybe not quite) enough to...........buy a Colt SAA.  Interesting how inflation works.  I wish we could get back on the gold standard.

Catain Bill sorry but yourvalues are waaaaay off

You can’t buy a used Colt for $1250 unless it’s been beat to death

NIB Colts are closer to 2 grand plus!!

when you figue 21 trillion in US debt alone, there isn’t enough physical gold to even think of going back to the gold standard

3 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

when you figue 21 trillion in US debt alone, there isn’t enough physical gold to even think of going back to the gold standard

You can buy colts in that range without even having to work that hard, and they don’t have to be beat up either. Just look for the 78-90 third gen colts. Poorest quality, fit and finish of any colts, and the price typically reflects that. Just not on gun broker. On top of that, for whatever reason, the colt market has softened considerably in the last six months. Could be the economy, or the gun market in general. I can’t explain it for certain, but it’s there. You will see decent prices guns, even on gun broker, not get bids and really nice ones staying in the $2000 range when they were going north of $3000 this time last year. 

Agree on the gold standard though. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

No, I believe that $1,250 for a used Colt SAA is far more likely than your $2,000 for NIB.   I'll admit that $1,799 is closer to $2,000 than $1,250... but it ain't $2,000.  And $1,799 is the suggested manufacturer's list price for a new piece.

Collector piece prices ought not be considered when talking about buying a used shooter grade gun.   I've seen dealers mark up a plain stock gun by as much as 50%, that doesn't mean that's the going price for one everywhere.  Some rube comes along and buys it... well, too bad for the rube.   You ever talk to Cabela's about buying a gun from you... and look at what they ask for the same gun?  It's a depressing look at what retailers will do to earn a buck...  30% markup is way under their target profit.  Not to say, I haven't found a bargain or two... 

I know a guy who's a pard of mine that practically STOLE a couple of used Colts from me!!!

(You know who you are!))):P Hint: .44-40's

7 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Dutch, What Griff and Redwood said.  Will a collectible Colt or one with some type of provenance cost significantly more, sure.  A new 3rd gen, no.  Note I said 'maybe not quite enough.' 

3 hours ago, Griff said:

No, I believe that $1,250 for a used Colt SAA is far more likely than your $2,000 for NIB.   I'll admit that $1,799 is closer to $2,000 than $1,250... but it ain't $2,000.  And $1,799 is the suggested manufacturer's list price for a new piece.

Collector piece prices ought not be considered when talking about buying a used shooter grade gun.   I've seen dealers mark up a plain stock gun by as much as 50%, that doesn't mean that's the going price for one everywhere.  Some rube comes along and buys it... well, too bad for the rube.   You ever talk to Cabela's about buying a gun from you... and look at what they ask for the same gun?  It's a depressing look at what retailers will do to earn a buck...  30% markup is way under their target profit.  Not to say, I haven't found a bargain or two... 

My Dad bought a slightly used 3rd gen Colt in .357 at an estate sale for $50.  Of course they didn't know what they had.  It's a pretty gun, but not nearly as slick as either of my Rugers.

3 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Would a 1st gen (1902) in good shape, reblued, 38 sp. for $1999 be a good deal?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/791900918

No it wouldn’t. Anything reblued is going to detract significantly from the value. You can also get a good idea of gun broker values when something only has a buy it now price and nobody has jumped on it. Keep asking the questions before buying though. Are you set on 38? 

Archived