SASS Wire Forum

Loading .44 Special

Chuck Would, SASS # 53289

I just loaded up a bunch of .44 Special with Badman Bullets 165 RNFP bullets.  Manual states 4.9 min to 6.0 Max.

I loaded 20 each starting with 5.0 and in .2 grain increments stopping at 5.8 grain with HP-38.

Shooting each weight left handed, right handed and gunfighter.  I found the best accuracy was a pretty close draw between  5.4 and 5.6 in my Colts.

Should I just load up more at 5.5 and call it done?

Anyone else using 165 grain bullets in .44 Special using either HP-38 or W231?  Pet Load with that powder?

I also shoot 44 specials and have for many many years .

My thought processes is a little different I guess.

If your going to shoot a 44 or a 45 for that matter .

Why would you nutter it with a 165 g bullet .

Might as well shoot a 38   .

I load full load APP 200gr bullet .

and if you need something less you load some 44 Russians with full load APP or what ever BP you choose and a 200 g bullet or bigger .

Its called Warthog loads .

Never a question on a hit or a miss thats for dang sure !

When I do load 44 specials in Smokeless .

I use 6.0 t0 6.5 gr of Unique with a 200g bullet .

PS. For your question .

Just go to 5.5 and call it a day .

This way  Lady's can shoot your 44's  too lol  :P

You seem to actually have a good load worked out. Just run with it.

I also use 44 Specials about 95% of the time , but looking back over the years of load info , my lightest bullets were 180 gr. Have been using a 200 gr(Mav Dutchman) or a 219 gr(Accurate Molds) for the last 15 or so years , sprinkled with a few commercial cast 200s and 240s. Plus about 90% of the time I load BP , 5% subs , 5% smokeless.

So no help here.

Good luck from another 44 fan.

Rex :D

I sometimes shoot bullets as lite as 220 gr. in my .44 Spls. ....

Mostly I use bullets above that weight loaded with compressed loads of Goex 3F ...

But for In-door shooting I use 240 gr. bullets over the Max load of IMR Trail Boss ...

I like some recoil to roll my Open-Tops up under my thumb ,,,, I shoot Duelist ,,,, What else ....

Jabez Cowboy

I think for SASS (if you are trying to win) the lighter faster bullets are the way to go. If you use enough powder they take anything down, they get down range quicker and the recoil is still manageable......plus they cost less if you shoot a lot. 

When I was shooting 44 spl I didn't want to buy all new guns for me and my wife so I shot 160's with about 4 grains of Clays and they did well. I shoot heavier loads now so I would probably be more around 5 grains but if you like them shoot them. 

Form my experience most SASS loads aren't going to be really consistent in FPS because most are light but they still group fine for the distances we shoot. Good luck

I you like the accuracy, they chrono within SASS regs, and you have good, consistent ignition, I would run with your loads. I cast 160's and have been shooting them out of my rifle with Bullseye for about 6 years. The ignition of Clays powder became erratic when I went from 180 to 160. I'm miserly with my components;) The amount of lead for (10) 240 gr pills will yield me (15) 160 grainers, and the Bullseye sends it at around 700fps (revolver) to meet the local clubs 650fps minimum. You just have to "ring" the steel, not kill it:) 

18 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

According to my Hodgdon Cowboy data, 4.6 gr of Clays (their max load) would take you over the 1000 fps limit using 160-165 bullets.

Just to add to this....the books seem to be a bit inflated compared to what you really see at the range and the 1000FPS is only for revolvers just to be clear.  For the rifle you can shoot up to 1400FPS not that you need that much. 

Good catch though because there is no need to shoot the max cowboy load (IMO) for what we do anyway. I like to stay far away from the min cowboy loads but don't shoot the max either.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

Looking at some calculations and using the "SWAG" method I'd say 5.5 grains is about 975'/s

Going to load up about 500 and take you up on that.

Load 50rnds, and see what the target sez to ya.;)

OLG

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Load 50rnds, and see what the target sez to ya.;)

OLG

Both 5.4 and 5.6 grains looked pretty good on paper.  Too close to call on the targets alone.  5.5 puts me in the middle and should perform.

22 hours ago, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

Both 5.4 and 5.6 grains looked pretty good on paper.  Too close to call on the targets alone.  5.5 puts me in the middle and should perform.

I would agree that 500 rounds is way too big a commitment before testing, when hovering around max allowed velocity.

7 hours ago, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

The max per Hodgedon is 6.0.  The  min is 4.9.  5.5 is pretty much dead center.

I have already tested loads from 5.0 to 5.8  

By testing I meant using a chronograph., removing all doubt.. 500 is a lot of bullets to pull, but you are probably okay.

Well, I dont own that device.  I have an offer from a friend to use his.

I've already tested 120 rounds within the parameters set by the powder manufacturer. 

5.4 and 5.6  were the most accurate based on group size when shot on paper.

The next step is to load a bunch and see how they perform in a match.

If I like the overall result after a few shoots, I'm good.  If not, I retest 

Archived