SASS Wire Forum

Do You Shoot Your 1st Model 1873

Unfortunately I have never owned a First Model 1873 Winchester.  I have had a Third Model, but only shot it once in a SASS match.  I used smokeless loads, consisting IIRC 8.0 gr. Unique with a 200 gr. bullet.  Unfortunately, the groove diameter of the barrel was .434" and accuracy at about 10 yds was about 2 feet! :o:(  About the only way to have improved that would have been with BP and a soft bullet probably with a hollow base.  I have never liked the mess and cleaning required of BP or even some of the substitutes.  Hence, I bought a Navy Arms M1860 Henry rifle in .44-40, and shot it with smokeless loads until back problems made it difficult to contend with the forward balance of the rifle.  Up to 3,000 rounds or so, when I stopped using/checking, there had been absolutely NO increase in headspace!  The load was 8.0 gr. Hodgdon's UNIVERSAL behind a commercially cast 213.5 gr bullet .430" diameter, which is the same load I shoot today in my OM Ruger Vaqueros and Rossi carbine (20" barrel...easier on my back).

I'd certainly shoot one if I could afford to buy one!! :lol:

MERRY CHRISTMAS SAMMY!!!

I had a Colt Lightning built in 1894 that I would use at matches and then somebody offered me about twice what I paid for it and he’s shooting it instead of me.

I would shoot it for sure!!;) Unless it was some kind of unfired collectors model which I couldn't afford anyway!

Never shot my first model in a match, but I have shot it.  Guy I got it from used it for deer hunting about once a year.  He took a few with it, using factory smokeless ammo.  

Archived