SASS Wire Forum

Sunken breech face on '72 Opentop fix?

Springfield Slim SASS #24733

On my wife's '72 the breechface around the firing pin hole is so sunken primers sometimes catch on it and lock up the gun. I assume this can be welded up and ground flat again. Any reccomendations on who could do this? There are no good gunsmiths in my area.

We have a pair of Smoke Wagons that had the same problem,  both of them.  Finally had Ahlmans in Morristown Minnesota weld them up.  Repair is totally undetectable and Sawmill Mary has ran them all of 2018 with no problems.  Cost more than I figured it should have - just short of $400 for pair. -_-

Slim:

If I remember correctly, Happy Trails used to do this.

He is retired now, but if you contact him through his WebSite (http://www.thesmithshop.com/ -- 401-864-2348), he might have  a suggestion as to who can do an appropriate job.

--Dawg 

1 hour ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

That's how colts and EMF GWII Pietta's come. VTI has the bushings

Image result for colt saa firing pin bushing

I bought Pietta bushings.  First gunsmith said Uberti frames were too soft and not worth fixing. The second gunsmith said Uberti frames were too hard and he's have to invest in some expensive tooling and it would cost more than the guns were worth.  Taylor's said they were unrepairable - the only fix was to buy new frames and by the time labor was involved, it would cost more than new ones.  Altmans said they could do it and was going to mill a hole and install the bushing.  They apparently tried that on one gun and failed.   They ended up welding the crater and cleaning it up. That's what I requested to start with.  

I tried several other gunsmiths including Broomstick Jay and they never responded to my emails or PMs.  Slick McClade said if they were his, he'd weld them up.  But he wouldn't do it on our guns. 

5aac111847fef_SmokeWagonfphNov2017.jpg.fa0055732cb253bf37d288285563437d.jpg5aac115ce90ff_SmokeWagonrepairMarch2018.jpg.45a6256ef9ae4b7ebb3d6ce10862689b.jpg

Before and after. 

10 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I bought Pietta bushings.  First gunsmith said Uberti frames were too soft and not worth fixing. The second gunsmith said Uberti frames were too hard and he's have to invest in some expensive tooling and it would cost more than the guns were worth.  Taylor's said they were unrepairable - the only fix was to buy new frames and by the time labor was involved, it would cost more than new ones.  Altmans said they could do it and was going to mill a hole and install the bushing.  They apparently tried that on one gun and failed.   They ended up welding the crater and cleaning it up. That's what I requested to start with.  

I tried several other gunsmiths including Broomstick Jay and they never responded to my emails or PMs.  Slick McClade said if they were his, he'd weld them up.  But he wouldn't do it on our guns. 

I have a long electrician drill bit. They're not that expensive.  I drill through the barrel using tape on the bit to protect the bore. Then, I made a staking tool from some drill rod. It's long enough to fit through the bore too.

23 minutes ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

I have a long electrician drill bit. They're not that expensive.  I drill through the barrel using tape on the bit to protect the bore. Then, I made a staking tool from some drill rod. It's long enough to fit through the bore too.

That was an aproch I considered had we not found someone to take on the job.  I had figured out the number drill size that was close to the bushing diameter and was going to get a long bit from Fastenall.  I was going to take a lead bullet and chuck it in my lathe and drill a hole the size of the bit.  Then drive the bullet into the muzzle (probably would have had to drill it out again).  The bullet would serve as a centering guide and protect the rifling.   My plan was to drill the point of the bit to the depth of the thickness of the bushing on both guns.  Then regrind the point flat like an end mill and cut the rest of the hole for the bushing.  I was planing to use some epoxy to hold the bushing in place. 

But the guns became Sawmill Mary's and she didn't have confidence in my abilities.  

I was recently contacted by another person through a different forum that had a pair of Uberti that had the same problem.  He bought both of them new and never shot hot loads in them.   He had a plan of drilling and tapping the firing pin hole then using a grade 8 bolt as the basis of the bushing. 

We are Talking about 1872 Open-Tops ,,, Correct ???

If so drop the wedge ,,, pull the barrel and Cylinder ,,,,,, easy access to the breach face ...

May the work begin ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived