SASS Wire Forum

A little shaken up today

evil dogooder

Got a new carry gun twenty minutes ago.  Loaded with factory ammo purchased at the same time.  First three felt a bit light but a new gun I didn't know how it should feel.  

Clover leafed the first three.  Great accuracy.   So I tried a double tap.

20181215_143523.jpg

Now that'll stress test yer underwear.  :o

……… did you fire the second shot of your double tap before the first bullet left the muzzle ?

<tongue firmly in cheek>

:huh:

Ok I know I can trigger pretty quick but I didn't know i was good enough to do it before  the first bullet could go 1.5 inches. Lol

2 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Ok I know I can trigger pretty quick but I didn't know i was good enough to do it before  the first bullet could go 1.5 inches. Lol

I have read your postings here ……

……… I have no doubt that you ARE that good ……...

;)

Yowch!!  :o

That'll sure get your attention!  :huh:

Is that a .38 or .357?  Dare we ask what ammunition...?  

If that was factory ammo, I'd say somebody owes you a new revolver, at the very least.  :mellow:

The picture's not super clear, but it looks like the barrel is split and there are two bullets toward the muzzle.

I just got mine out of the safe (LCRX)... not the beefiest of tubes.  

I have a Ruger just like that. Good little carry gun, shoots well, feels good in my hand. It doesn't have the same modifications as yours. :o

How cold was it when you were shooting and was the ammo warm or cold? 

50 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Yowch!!  :o

That'll sure get your attention!  :huh:

Is that a .38 or .357?  Dare we ask what ammunition...?  

If that was factory ammo, I'd say somebody owes you a new revolver, at the very least.  :mellow:

38 hydra shock.  Already have the new revolver in hand. while not exactly the same, this one has regular sights not the high vis., it's got a perk. It's the 33rd gun off the line.  

53 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

wow! I assume you were not hurt? have you determined the cause ?

Sub quarter second double tap with the first round not exciting the barrel. Lol My guess is no powder or too little powder in the first round.  Kinda rare for factory ammo

1 minute ago, evil dogooder said:

38 hydra shock.  Already have the new revolver in hand. while not exactly the same, this one has regular sights not the high vis., it's got a perk. It's the 33rd gun off the line.  

Huh...!

Okay... I have my LCR in hand and a brand new box of .38 Special +P Hydra-Shok 129 gr ammo nearby. 

Mebbe I'll be saving those for the GP100...  :rolleyes:

37 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I have a Ruger just like that. Good little carry gun, shoots well, feels good in my hand. It doesn't have the same modifications as yours. :o

How cold was it when you were shooting and was the ammo warm or cold? 

Pretty warm I think 35 °.  Pulled it out of a shoulder rig under my coat so it should haven't been a problem.   Brand new box of ammo bought this afternoon. 

VERY cool that you were able to get a replacement so quickly!  :)

In this state you'd have to go through another ten-day "cooling-off period" wait.  :mellow: 

Actually, that would be a 30-day wait, as we're restricted to one handgun every 30 days.  :angry:

21 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

Need to know who replaced the gun. Federal or Ruger? How did the replacement happen so fast. Glad you are ok

Actually the gun shop I bought it and the ammo from. The owner is good friends with the big wigs at ruger. Showed him the gun.  Showed it was factory ammo and not my reloads and I was told to pic any lcr in the store

Had to be no powder in the round. the primer will have just enough umph to push the bullet into the barrel. Obvious whet the second round does.

I saw a S & W 686 that had 2 bullets in the split barrel, same thing happened, but they were light target reloads. Pretty scary!

In one recent discussion here the possibility of a quick shooter not being able to stop in time after experiencing a possible squib was brought up. This was with a double action revolver and not a cowboy single action however. 

Pretty disconcerting to know that even premium defense ammo is prone to serious quality control failures like that. I thought that for over $1 per round you were paying for a little more care in manufacture, given the fact that it's designed specifically to save your backside.

1 hour ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

In one recent discussion here the possibility of a quick shooter not being able to stop in time after experiencing a possible squib was brought up. This was with a double action revolver and not a cowboy single action however. 

I didn't read it.  I do know I can get 2 shots off faster with a single action. 

Archived